Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 PM

71 posts, read 86,552 times

Advertisements

Lombard is a weird one considering it is identical to 3-4 more towns to the west of it...seems like a completely random place to draw the line.

I say Aurora, joliet, zion, mchenry, merrilville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
I was going to ask the same!

But as long as we are here the suburbs of Chicago are basically defined by most Illinois agencies as Cook and the collar counties. Lake, Mchenry, Dupage, Kane, and Will. However one must also include Lake County In., Porter In, Laporte In., Kenosha Co Wi, Walworth Co Wi, and the eastern part of Dekalb Co (Sycamore), Kendall (Yorkville), Grundy (Morris) and as evidenced by the recent tornado coverage and alerts by the media and the NWS, part of Lasalle co. Basically you can take a straight line from State and Madison and extend it out 75 miles in any direction and you'll have it.

As I look at the map this is a true representation of the Chicago burbs as the majority of folks in these areas have interactions in one way or another with Chicago on a daily basis. This includes work, entertainment, receiving their news via tv, radio, newpapers,shopping, utilities etc etc..

Just IMHO.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
People seem to also forget that Lake County, IN not only borders Illinois and Cook County, but borders the City of Chicago itself. DuPage is the only other county that borders the City of Chicago and this is due to O'Hare still being "in Chicago" thanks to continuity via 90. I am not saying that you have to border Chicago in order to be considered a suburb (which some people erroneously believe) either. I had someone in college tell me that Lansing, IL was a suburb but that Munster, IN was not because "it's a different state". Never-mind the fact that many of our nations prominent cities aside from Chicago (New York City, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, DC area, Kansas City, St. Louis) have suburbs that cross state lines and yet, Chicago seems to be the only one of these cities where the state line is such a huge issue as far as people trying to determine then boundaries of suburbia.

This question has been answered before, but as far as suburbs ending, I would say the following points (counterclockwise) would be the end of suburbia BUT not the end of the metro-area:

Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha
Wonder Lake/Woodstock
Hampshire
Elburn
Sugar Grove
Minooka/Channahon
Peotone
Beecher
Cedar Lake
Winfield
Valparaiso
Chesterton

I feel like once you get past any of these points, you are still within the Chicago-area, but are definitely outside of "suburbia".

Also, +1,000,000 points for Lakecountylifer lmao! And -1,000,000 for Packmanbears smh.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 03-19-2017 at 05:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM

282 posts, read 438,075 times
Default Drinking too much??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Your close....

1. I would say Oak Park to the west (everything west of Oak Park is a suburb of Rockford)
2. Country Club Hills is the furthest suburb south (everything south of Country Club Hills is a Suburb of Champaign)
3. Lake Forest is the furthest north suburb (everything north of Lake Forest is a suburb of Milwaukee).
?????

1. You need to check your geography. So, in your eyes Forest Park is a suburb of Rockford??

2. At least go to the Will County line and I might give you partial credit.

3. See #1 again regarding your lack of geography skills. Milwaukee is more than 75 miles away from Waukegan, and Chicago is what, 35?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM

282 posts, read 438,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
DeKalb and Sycamore are probably the extreme western boundary of Chicagoland.

I think DeKalb is pushing it. Sugar Grove is the furthest west along US 30 that I would consider a suburb of Chicago.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
?????

1. You need to check your geography. So, in your eyes Forest Park is a suburb of Rockford??

2. At least go to the Will County line and I might give you partial credit.

3. See #1 again regarding your lack of geography skills. Milwaukee is more than 75 miles away from Waukegan, and Chicago is what, 35?
He was not being serious...he was trolling the OP.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
You can just look at google maps and tell. Both in satellite and normal view. In normal view the color gets lighter where they end.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM

46 posts, read 66,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Your close....

1. I would say Oak Park to the west (everything west of Oak Park is a suburb of Rockford)
2. Country Club Hills is the furthest suburb south (everything south of Country Club Hills is a Suburb of Champaign)
3. Lake Forest is the furthest north suburb (everything north of Lake Forest is a suburb of Milwaukee).
"Lake Forest is the furthest north suburb(everything north is a suburb of Milwaukee)"

what.
So you're saying that Gurnee, Grayslake, Antioch are Milwaukee suburbs? Heck no, everything here is Chicago based, and guess what, most people here drive to work south, not north.

Also, no absolute way Oak Park is the furthest west suburb. Just no.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:38 PM

201 posts, read 278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountyBang View Post
"Lake Forest is the furthest north suburb(everything north is a suburb of Milwaukee)"

what.
So you're saying that Gurnee, Grayslake, Antioch are Milwaukee suburbs? Heck no, everything here is Chicago based, and guess what, most people here drive to work south, not north.

Also, no absolute way Oak Park is the furthest west suburb. Just no.
Geez, if you can't recognize thinly veiled sarcasm on your own just read like two posts prior where someone kindly explains to someone else that this guy is obviously joking...

Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
I think DeKalb is pushing it. Sugar Grove is the furthest west along US 30 that I would consider a suburb of Chicago.
DeKalb is way way out there indeed! Shouldn't even be mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs