Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
What does Black or White have to do with this though? The only difference is pigmentation. You seem to value color more than anybody else given the fact that you always bring it up. I mean really, it seems like "Black and White" is the only type of diversity you care to mention. As if there are no other types of diversity.
You can't just erase 80 years of history and pretend like there is nothing unique about the black-white situation in these parts. The entire history of the area of the last 75 years is almost nothing but black-white tension. It is the most important single ingredient in understanding the lay of the land, even if you personally don't put much stock in these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
You can't just erase 80 years of history and pretend like there is nothing unique about the black-white situation in these parts. The entire history of the area of the last 75 years is almost nothing but black-white tension. It is the most important single ingredient in understanding the lay of the land, even if you personally don't put much stock in these things.
I am not trying to erase anything. I honestly do not mind have discussions about race/ethnicity/culture/tensions, etc. But this is really not the thread for that. If you want to talk about that, then create a thread where that is the main focus and maybe I'll join. But really, I don't think this thread needs to go there at all.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
less than forward thinking individuals
This philosophy, the one of forward thinking vs. backward thinking has MANY FALLACIES.

First of all, for most issues, there are actually way more than two ways of looking at them! Yet, those that perscribe to this forward vs. backwards, simplistic vision of sociology have broken it down to just two. Either you are with me (forward thinking), or you are against me (backward thinking). Talk about dehumanizing, we may as well resort to animal tribalism in your view.. forget 600K years of evolution.

Second of all, forward thinking is not always better. There are plenty of examples throughout history (the collapse of Mycenea/ fall of the Bronze age, the fall of Rome/ subsequent dark ages/ Soviet Revolution/ Iranian Revolution/ etc.) where living conditions actually got worse over time. Therefore, in these cases, the societies in question may have done better by ceasing to move "forward" and returning to the conditions that they had in decades past.

Third of all, this terminology REEKS of elitism! as well as cowardice! If you really mean to call a place racist- just come out and say it! Rather than hide behind this "forward thinking", "backward thinking" nonsense.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM

175 posts, read 637,201 times
For me, it is all about property tax - if taxes were even, I wouldn't even consider NWI.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Higher property taxes get factored into area home prices. The financial benefit of lower property taxes is minimal unless the property taxes are lowered after you purchased your home. Because the housing market adjust home prices accordingly. If high property taxes in many far south suburban cook county suburbs such as flossmoor and olympia fields were lowered to anywhere near as low as what many NWI towns property taxes are. The home sales prices would go up by so much, it would offset any cheaper property tax benefit for a current homebuyer. Although, the property taxes being lowered would be a financial windfall for existing homeowners.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-17-2011 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
For me, it is all about property tax - if taxes were even, I wouldn't even consider NWI.
Really? How big is the difference of (IL RE tax - NWI RE tax)?

RE taxes in NWI aren't THAT low, and they tend to be higher in Munster (for a similar home) than in other communities. You'll probably pay at least $ 5K in NWI.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

RE taxes in NWI aren't THAT low, and they tend to be higher in Munster (for a similar home) than in other communities. You'll probably pay at least $ 5K in NWI.

It varies. But the areas that some are attempting to compare on here such as flossmoor. The difference is huge. The median property tax bill in flossmoor is $6,989.93 a year. That number includes single family homes, condos, and townhomes. You can expect to pay that much property tax on an average looking 3 bedroom 2 bathroom smaller 1750sqft ranch house in flossmoor. There are mansions in the "flossmoor estates" area with property taxes over 30k per year.

5k in property taxes is definitely the higher end for a home in NWI. Even in munster 5k in property taxes, your talking about the property taxes on a nicer new construction home. More like less than 2.5k for an average home. In many of the other NWI towns such as Schererville your looking at way cheaper property taxes. Maybe less than 2k for the average home. The lower property taxes are definitely factored into the home prices out in NWI.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-17-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Higher property taxes get factored into area home prices. The financial benefit of lower property taxes is minimal unless the property taxes are lowered after you purchased your home. Because the housing market adjust home prices accordingly. If high property taxes in many far south suburban cook county suburbs such as flossmoor and olympia fields were lowered to anywhere near as low as what many NWI towns property taxes are. The home sales prices would go up by so much, it would offset any cheaper property tax benefit for a current homebuyer. Although, the property taxes being lowered would be a financial windfall for existing homeowners.
Please provide support for the statement(s) in red above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

Eh, outside of Munster, I dont know if $5k in taxes is routine for a house worth $240-300k as the OP had stated his budget may be. My house in NWI is has property taxes of $2250 for an assessed value near $275k. This is also pretty standard for many of my relatives who live in the area with similarly priced homes.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM

175 posts, read 637,201 times
Example of low prop taxes. I've looked at several hundred properties in Chesterton/Porter and on a $250k home, I wouldn't pay more than $2k a year in prop tax on average. Sure there are some homes at $2500-3k, but not $8-10k like some burbs in IL!!!!! I'm not interested in Munster since it doesn't appear we can get a lot for our money there. Now Dyer, very similar on the property taxes, perhaps a tad higher than Chesterton/Porter, but again, nowhere near what IL taxes are. Here's my point, because we can battle all day on taxes and how meaningful or meaningless they are, the bottom line is if we purchase a $250k home in NWI, put down $75k, taxes at $2k, and homeowners ins at $600, at 5.0% interest, we'd pay $1156 a month. Same scenario on the IL side but property taxes at $7k (being generous) we now pay $1572 a month. That extra $400+ might not mean much to some of you, but it means a lot to us! And means a lot long term as IL continues to raise taxes and IN continues to remain stable. Thus, you now see our dilema!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Please provide support for the statement(s) in red above.

That's basic common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs