Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
As others have indicated, the free/reduced lunches don't mean squat in-terms of color.

There maybe less affluent blacks in some elementary/middle schools, but MY point was that the majority don't meet until high school.
I disagree. My kids met kids of all economic strata in school. Of course, when my kids went, busing for integration was a fact of Evanston life. Perhaps that has changed, but I was involved in many schools in Evanston and never saw that poor blacks were not meeting middle class whites though they may not have met wealthy whites as those kids probably went to private school.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Park resident View Post
We moved our biracial family to Oak Park a few years ago in hopes of finding a warm and welcoming place to put down roots and share our lives with people from all walks of life. Instead we find ourselves surrounded by many uptight white 30-somethings who cling together in little cliques, avoid the black people who do live here and are quick to pass judgment on anyone with a non-conforming viewpoint. Besides enjoying hearing themselves talk, these neighbors seem mostly interested in telling other people what to eat and on what type of re-usable plate! We would like to find a suburb where we can live peacefully among neighbors who are tolerant and respectful of each other, with the wisdom to agree to disagree when the situation calls for it. Does such a place exist?
Having been raised in the Chicago Suburbs, I can say that the further you move away from the City limits, the friendlier the people seem to become (in general) and less bias . Ive lived all over the Chicago Suburbs and the nicest area i found is in far northern Lake County like up around Gurnee, Antioch, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, etc... Its not as hectic up there, people seem to have a bit more time for one another , not as noisy, better home deals can be had, close to the Interstate , good Schools, and nearby nature trails , shops, entertainment, etc.. I personally wouldnt live any closer than 40 miles to Chicago city limits and only in the far north suburbs or very far western suburbs.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Having been raised in the Chicago Suburbs, I can say that the further you move away from the City limits, the friendlier the people seem to become (in general) and less bias . Ive lived all over the Chicago Suburbs and the nicest area i found is in far northern Lake County like up around Gurnee, Antioch, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, etc... Its not as hectic up there, people seem to have a bit more time for one another , not as noisy, better home deals can be had, close to the Interstate , good Schools, and nearby nature trails , shops, entertainment, etc.. I personally wouldnt live any closer than 40 miles to Chicago city limits and only in the far north suburbs or very far western suburbs.
There really is some great nature to enjoy on the far outskirts of Chicagoland. Places like the Indiana Dunes, or the Lake, marsh, and rolling hill country of western lake/Mchenry county is quite beautiful.

I also really love the Fox River Valley, pretty, although not as much recreation as what I previously mentioned.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I think I agree with this assessment. The main problem with the super far suburbs (almost exurbs) is that you lose some of that access to Chicago simply because you're so far out. Other than that, it is true. The pace is slower and people are generally more laid back & friendlier out there. Most folks in these areas commute to other suburbs for work and not to the city.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I think I agree with this assessment. The main problem with the super far suburbs (almost exurbs) is that you lose some of that access to Chicago simply because you're so far out. Other than that, it is true. The pace is slower and people are generally more laid back & friendlier out there. Most folks in these areas commute to other suburbs for work and not to the city.
Many who live in Lake County take the Train to Chicago and they have a good convenient Train System up there . When i lived in far northern Lake County, I had no desire to go to Chicago with the crime becoming so out of hand and Gangs galore . I used to really enjoy spending the day down there , once or twice per year, doing the Shedd Aquarium/History Museum/Gino's East for Pizza/ and Sears Tower observation deck .... but for fear of safety and the hassles of traffic , I did things in Lake County almost exclusively. I too like the Fox Valley area such as Geneva or St. Charles but that has really turned into alot of concrete over the last 30 years. Oh well, i guess nothing stays the same for very long. The thing i did enjoy about Chicagoland between say 1980-2000 were the good employment opportunities --- One could make a decent living there.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
I had no desire to go to Chicago with the crime becoming so out of hand and Gangs galore .
I question your post.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Many who live in Lake County take the Train to Chicago and they have a good convenient Train System up there . When i lived in far northern Lake County, I had no desire to go to Chicago with the crime becoming so out of hand and Gangs galore . I used to really enjoy spending the day down there , once or twice per year, doing the Shedd Aquarium/History Museum/Gino's East for Pizza/ and Sears Tower observation deck .... but for fear of safety and the hassles of traffic , I did things in Lake County almost exclusively. I too like the Fox Valley area such as Geneva or St. Charles but that has really turned into alot of concrete over the last 30 years. Oh well, i guess nothing stays the same for very long. The thing i did enjoy about Chicagoland between say 1980-2000 were the good employment opportunities --- One could make a decent living there.
I take it you are a family man. As much as I find the semirural quality of northern Lake County beautiful, as a thirty year old eligible guy, I'm not going to live in northern lake county, unless I want to die lonely. (Unless, a find myself a divorcee because Its ALL families).

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I think the city (esp. downtown & northside) has cleaned up and yuppified a ton since you last lived in the region. I could never live in the Chicago area and only go down to the city once or twice a year even if I lived in the furthest reaches of the suburbs. I'd have to get down there at least a couple times a month (or go out of town to some place exciting) or I'd go pretty nuts. That's the thing, it would be a lot tougher for someone to casually go down to Chicago from say, Wadsworth than from some North Shore town like Wilmette or Glenview. Even folks in southern Lake County can get to the city a lot quicker than the further north towns usually. Like Tex said, Lake County is a solid option if you have a family and work in Lake County or Northern Cook County. If you work downtown, it can be done if you are close to a Metra station.

Quote:

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I question your post.
You shouldnt question my post that Chicago is gang ridden ,out of control , and thus unsafe ...when the National Guard offered former Mayor Daley massive amounts of Troops to help fight the anarchy (which out of pride, he refused because it would have painted Chicago in a bad light to the entire World) . Aside from Gangs, there are enormous amounts of Thugs, Thieves, Pick-Pockets, etc... roaming the downtown streets of Chicago making it unsafe just window browsing especially around Christmas time when people typically carry more cash and credit cards. The chance of being assaulted in Chicago is way above the national average of 4 in 5 people during their lifetime. Ive lived in and around Chicago between the early 1960's to 2008 and have seen the drastic change, so please dont use the excuse that your dubious of Me and my post.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I take it you are a family man. As much as I find the semirural quality of northern Lake County beautiful, as a thirty year old eligible guy, I'm not going to live in northern lake county, unless I want to die lonely. (Unless, a find myself a divorcee because Its ALL families).
No, im not a family man. I am Single also .
You have the freewill choice on where you want to live , and if youd rather trade your safety in the quest to find Mrs. Right at one of many Chicago bars / nightclubs assuming youre into that scene being a young eligible Man , then you can do so . I would only urge you to take a regular STD test since our beloved Nation boasts an epidemic of some 68,000,000 adult Americans carrying at least 1 of 33 circulating STD's (of which 2 are now fatal) with the majority occuring in densely populated areas such as major Cities. You see, theres lots of good reasons to stay clear of the City .. not only civil crime .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs