Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a home in either Wheaton or Naperville (maybe Glen Ellyn or DG).

We are looking at some single family homes in the Brookdale subdivision in Naperville or the Briarcliffe subdivision in Wheaton.

Does anyone know if these neighborhoods are safe? Are there kids in the area? We have a little one and are looking to expand our family but we do not want to invest in a neighborhood that is bad or on the edge of going that direction. We would like to stay under 300k but realize that might not be possible (we could go more but would rather save if possible). We would also like a kid friendly neighborhood with access to parks. Naperville seems to have a young family population that makes it more attractive but we were wondering if any other areas have this and are safe as well. My husband has to take the Metra downtown so living within 10 minutes of the train would help.

Not sure any of this exists but thought why not ask! Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 AM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
Wheaton and Naperville are both basically synonymous with safe, you'll have no troubles in either of those towns.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a "dangerous" are in Naperville, especially when takling about a subdivision.

The only somewhat sketchy areas I can even think of would maybe be the apartments on Baily in between Washington and Naper and maybe the apartments behind the BMW dealership on Ogden and Jefferson but I wouldn't even call those unsafe maybe just a little sketchy in terms of maybe you'd have a GPS stolen out of your car or something like that.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
The only somewhat sketchy areas I can even think of would maybe be the apartments on Baily in between Washington and Naper and maybe the apartments behind the BMW dealership on Ogden and Jefferson but I wouldn't even call those unsafe maybe just a little sketchy in terms of maybe you'd have a GPS stolen out of your car or something like that.
The Olive Tree apartments in the late 80s-early 90s were riddled with gang violence, including occasional shootings. I don't know how iffy (gangs, crime, drugs, violence) they are these days. The apartments at Ogden and Jefferson were iffy, at least some are converted to condos so that may not be the case any more. The other apartments I'd mention as iffy in Naperville are the various complexes on Fairway Drive ... I live in one of them, and there's been a few instances of violent crime over the years. Early this year there was a physical attack about 50 feet from my door but that likely was someone the victim knew.

If I were in the market for a home, I'd steer clear of the Bailey area, Ogden and Jefferson area, and Fairway Drive ... mostly because I'd be concerned about the impact of lower rent apartments and crime on the resale value of my house. Other than those areas, I owned a townhome in the Brookdale area for ten years and that area's about as safe as you can get in the suburbs. I don't know Wheaton very well, but there are apartment complexes that are iffy in Wheaton, too. Even in the safest areas around here, you can have criminals driving through who decide to smash and grab something from a car ... there's no such thing as 100% safe in this world.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Olive Tree apartments in the late 80s-early 90s were riddled with gang violence, including occasional shootings. I don't know how iffy (gangs, crime, drugs, violence) they are these days. The apartments at Ogden and Jefferson were iffy, at least some are converted to condos so that may not be the case any more. The other apartments I'd mention as iffy in Naperville are the various complexes on Fairway Drive ... I live in one of them, and there's been a few instances of violent crime over the years. Early this year there was a physical attack about 50 feet from my door but that likely was someone the victim knew.

If I were in the market for a home, I'd steer clear of the Bailey area, Ogden and Jefferson area, and Fairway Drive ... mostly because I'd be concerned about the impact of lower rent apartments and crime on the resale value of my house. Other than those areas, I owned a townhome in the Brookdale area for ten years and that area's about as safe as you can get in the suburbs. I don't know Wheaton very well, but there are apartment complexes that are iffy in Wheaton, too. Even in the safest areas around here, you can have criminals driving through who decide to smash and grab something from a car ... there's no such thing as 100% safe in this world.
Obviously just being in the vacinity of violence one can get hurt but any violence in the areas mentioned is probably targeted and not robberies or randomly beating somene up.

The olive trees and surounding areas arent bad, sure some sketchy characters maybe some vandalism or property crime but not by any means dangerous.

It's kind of odd because there's some nice homes and stuff over there nad overall its a pretty nice area, fire dept right across the street but just those couple apartment complexes are a little sketchy. Not projects but I believe thy are based on income in terms of what your rent is.

I forgot to mention the area off fairway drive. Yeah those brown apartments used to be kinda sketchy and there's some loud parties and stuff but again I think more just younger people and low class people making noise at 3am more so than a safety issue or violent crime. THey have had a few violent incidences though. Across the street not north aurora but the other street there's a brand new apartment complex so I imagin the area overall is getting a little better.

Like I said though I dont think safety or violent crime is really an issue probably mroe vandalism and property crime which nobody wants but your not gonna be attacked.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Like I said though I dont think safety or violent crime is really an issue probably mroe vandalism and property crime which nobody wants but your not gonna be attacked.
I would agree you're not *likely* to be attacked but these days no place is 100% safe. As I said, if I were buying a house, though, I'd want to know how adjacent multi-family dwellings (and any associated crime violent or nonviolent) might impact the future value of my investment, safety of the area aside ... I certainly wouldn't want to spend $200K and up for a home near some of these complexes (especially when there are so many other options in the area). If, that is, I had money to spend on a home.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,504 times
Thank you for all of the quick replies!! Naperville looks great and we did really like Brookdale. I'm a little concerned though that some of the sketchy areas seem fairly close to it. I'm not sure how that would affect the future property value but it's definitely something to think about. Although, it sounds as though these potentially sketchier neighborhoods might be getting better?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunfyfan View Post
Thank you for all of the quick replies!! Naperville looks great and we did really like Brookdale. I'm a little concerned though that some of the sketchy areas seem fairly close to it. I'm not sure how that would affect the future property value but it's definitely something to think about. Although, it sounds as though these potentially sketchier neighborhoods might be getting better?
None of the areas we've mentioned as "iffy" are at all close to Brookdale. Fairway Drive is on the other side of Route 59, well over a mile away; the intersection of Ogden and Jefferson is over a mile away; Olive Tree apartments are maybe six miles away. I'd buy again in the Brookdale neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Sketchy and Naperville in the same sentence, really?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Sketchy and Naperville in the same sentence, really?
Really. There are gang presences in the Naperville high schools. Here's an example from a couple of years ago:

2 sought in killing of Naperville man - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs