Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,254,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would question if any patient that could only be treated at a specific hospital should live outside the immeadiate the vicinity of that hospital.

What sort of condition are we talking about here?

The region has about a dozen superb teaching hospitals -- Loyola, UofC, Rush, Northwestern are top of the heap, but there are also many excellent hospitals that have highly skilled emergancy room personel as well as talented surgeons and staff.

The current Children' Memorial site is located in a crowded and challenging site, if they are the only facility that can provide support to a patient with a life threatening health issue I would not live more than a few blocks from the site.
I second what Chet says. If getting to a specific hospital in an emergency is paramount to your decision making process, I would stay as close as possible to that hospital. Elmhurst could even be a stretch under bad conditions. If 40 minutes is vital under any circumstance, imagine a bad snowstorm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What?? Maybe, I just didn't drive during rush hour, but on the weekends at least it takes me 15 minutes (maybe less) to get to the Post Office (from Oak Park) where it turns into Congress!

What construction? Unles construction started today, I really don't know what construction you are talking about. I guess I'm not familiar with whats going on with Lower Wacker. I don't drive there.

In fact on Saturday evening, even with Lolapolooza going on, I got from Oak Park to Montrose and Broadway in less than 45 minutes. It would have been 1/2 hour if there was not major event going on. I just go down the Eisenhower which turns into Congress and then hop on LSD.
They are completely redoing the bridge over the Chicago River just east of the post office, as well as lower Wacker. I don't know if they're related but I do know that this has created a nasty back up that forces one to use Canal Street during rush hour. I now give myself an hour to get to the Loop in the morning and yes, it takes 15 minutes in clear traffic. Quadrouple that for rush hour! Yes, this is temporary but still, something to keep in mind if a fast commute to a hospital is a key factor.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

62 posts, read 224,884 times
This from Children's website today:
"In June 2012, we are moving and changing our name.
Prepare to be amazed.

Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
is a 23-story, state-of-the-art hospital located at
225 E. Chicago Ave., in the heart of Chicago. "

When Wacker opens, that should speed to/from the new location.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM

24 posts, read 72,264 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I should specify that we really just need a Level 1 pediatric hospital (so it has the staff and equipment we might need 24 hrs.). I just thought Children's Memorial would be the closest one to consider.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,961,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelittlevictory View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I should specify that we really just need a Level 1 pediatric hospital (so it has the staff and equipment we might need 24 hrs.). I just thought Children's Memorial would be the closest one to consider.
If you mean pediatric trauma centers that category includes only Children's Memorial, University of Chicago, and Mt. Sinai. Of the 3, Mt Sinai is on the west side, so it will be the closest to west burbs.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM

35 posts, read 109,466 times
Not sure if this would meet your needs, but St. Alexian Medical Center in Hoffman Estates is opening a children's hospital in 2013. If your preference is to live further out from the city you could rent near one of the existing hospitals in the short term until this opens up.

FAQ | Alexian Brothers Children's Hospital

Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,439,138 times
Default Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If you mean pediatric trauma centers that category includes only Children's Memorial, University of Chicago, and Mt. Sinai. Of the 3, Mt Sinai is on the west side, so it will be the closest to west burbs.
My EMT buddy said Loyola is actually the place that would top of his list for any kid that has a chronic illness: American College of Surgeons: Trauma Programs: Consultations/Verification Programs: Verified Trauma Centers

Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these awesome responses!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,108,319 times
Good luck to you, and its good to see a person put their children in front of everything - nice to see caring parents in the world today kudos

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks sunnyandcloudydays; that made my day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs