Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,816 times

Advertisements

I agree with Steve-O, I think Carol Stream is much nicer than Hanover Park. Although you may have a bit of trouble finding your wish list for $250K. But with the housing market the way it is, anything's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
Just very blah town. Try Bartlett next door to Hanover park. It is nicer.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 AM

124 posts, read 413,432 times
Yes we did have this conversation already nanannie but the more research I did I had alot more homes to choose from in Hanover Park I looked in Streamwood and Bartlett and South Elgin and found a hand full of what I was looking for. I just wasnt to clear on Hanover Park because everyone kept saying its just a blah town that isnt to much description but Steve-O cleared it all up and compared it to a city here now I feel like I know how Hanover Park is. But thank everyone for responding again I really appreciate it this is a big move for us and I just want the best for my kids. I love all those suburbs near Bloomingdale and Im just trying to do my research to make sure I make the right choice for my kids I dont want to bounce around from suburb to suburb trying to find that perfect one for me.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM

92 posts, read 445,751 times
I grew up in Streamwood, which is right next to Hanover Park, and HP has never been that great of a town. I agree with Drover, and everyone else who posted.

That being said, I'd go with either Bartlett or South Elgin (over Streamwood). It may be difficult finding the home you want at that price, but I do wish you luck in your search.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:56 PM

55 posts, read 189,045 times
Hanover Park is "diverse" all right...funny how that PC term always equates garbage. Lots of gangs and drugs there, bottom line. I know a school teacher there and she says it's horrible.
If you like Roselle, check out Keeneyville, that's where I am. We're essentially unincorporated Roselle. Large tracts of land with a secluded feel and still resonable in price in a generally overpriced market. Carol Stream is nice enough and Bartlett has always been cool. Streamwood is generally low but not as low as Hanover Park.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,722 times
Smile Hanover Park, Illinois

I would have to disagree with all the negativity of the posts I've read about Hanover Park. First of all, everyone likes to think that they have made the better choice. Hanover Park is not without it's problems, but if you stay on the south end of Hanover Park, you will DEFINITELY get the most bang for your buck. We have the best Bartlett schools, (Hawk Hallow, Eastview, and Bartlett HS). If you check out the school scores vs. well known Naperville, you will see that THESE U46 schools rate quite high. We have VERY LOW TAXES. We pay $4800 for a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, home with a fireplace in our finished basement. We have a gorgeous view and a beautiful yard. It is a starter neighborhood and within the past few years, many younger families with children have moved in. We have a wonderful walking path nearby. One of the best things I like about Hanover Park, is the upkeep. They really do a good job on maintanance and beautification. We are known for the amount of trees Hanover Park has planted in the past years. I think people in Carol Stream, Bloomingdale and other posters who live nearby, would be lying to you, if they said their cities didn't all have crappy areas, as well. If you are looking for a good deal with low taxes, I would reevaluate your decision to move to Hanover Park, Illinois.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,774,694 times
tawney,

your tax rate, according to this site was 2.0% in 2000 (yea, that was 7 yrs ago, but that is the year listed for all the taxes) your taxes seem lower because the value of the home is lower.

now, i'm not bashing HP, as i do not know the area you are referring .... south side
I only know what i see when i go down around Lake Street, and behind that strip mall where Ca****'s is.

but today [when i was bored] i checked all the listed tax rates in my area:
EGV, Addison, Roselle, Bensenville, WD, Bloomingdale, Itasca, etc

and 2% is not the lowest.

EGV was 1.4 [yea it's cook county not dupage.... but i was surprised at the %]
Addison 1.9%
Bloomingdale 2.0%
Glen Ellyn 1.7%
Glendale HTs 2.2%
Hanover Park 2.0%
Itasca 1.8%
Roselle 2.1%
St Chas 1.9%
Wood Dale 1.8%

A 400k home in HP would be $8000
where a home in Glen Ellyn taxes would be $6800

but then, how many 400k home will you find in GE?

for your $4800 in taxes, your approx home value is 240k, if i calc'ed that right.

...for what it's worth....

Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM

463 posts, read 646,736 times
The whole Hanover Park-Bartlett-Streamwood area has schools that are not up to par with other suburbs. If I am not mistaken, they all feed into the Elgin School district.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,774,694 times
I do know some of HP goes to Lake Park in Roselle (Dist 108)

the U-46 School District is made up of about 5 or 6 high schools and many communities;

Bartlett, Carol Stream, Elgin, Hanover Park, parts of West Chicago, Hoffman Estates, South Elgin, Wayne, and Streamwood.

researching it, it is quite a large district.

but, yes, the 'home office' of the U-46 district is in Elgin.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,123 times
The schools in Bartlett actually perform well, despite being in U-46. Their elementary and middle schools have test scores on par with schools in Schaumburg and even some of the schools in places like Naperville and Orland Park which are known for having good schools. The high school's test scores are substantially higher than the other U-46 high schools. I think that if the schools in Bartlett could break off and form their own unit district they would do even better, not to mention the appeal it would bring for Bartlett to not be associated with U-46.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs