Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 29,604 times

Advertisements

I've asked for help and advice on here before and the responses have helped greatly. So here I am again...

My husband, myself and our son are moving over to Il from Ireland in 11 weeks. From research and advice I have narrowed it down to two general areas. Lisle is our first choice but around the Lisle/Naperville and then on the metra line out from Des Plaines to Arlington Heights are our two main areas. But I need advice from the ground! We have been allocated a moving representative who isn't helping in the slightest and is just stressing us out. She's telling us conflicting information and I need somebody from there to set us straight.

I need to know if rental prices vary hugely when it comes to whether you start a lease in Summer or in Winter. ie She's telling us we won't get a 2 bed+ rental for less than 2,000-3,000 when we start renting end of May. This is WAY out of our budget. From looking online I have found lots of rentals around the 1200-1500 mark in those areas, near the metra as my husband will be working in downtown Chicago. I know people don't like discussing prices but any help would be seriously appreciated.

She also seems to be insisting we should live downtown.We DON'T want to live downtown. My husband doesn't mind doing the commute. We've never lived any other way and we prefer living further out and having a nice safe place to live where there is space to breath and not so many people. As long as we are not completely out of order in thinking that people do actually do the commute in from the areas I'm looking at.

I've been looking on hotpads.com and realtor.com at rentals, are these good sites to be looking at for realistic guides?

-moved from Il forum-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,768 times
I don't know a ton about rentals, but I will share the little I do know. Some of the rentals near the Naperville downtown train station will be geared more towards college students, as North Central is right there. You won't know just by looking on the web. I don't understand why rentals would vary so much by season, maybe people want to move in before school starts for the kids so there is higher demand...

I spent 5 minutes looking at home rentals on Realtor.com, and it appears you'll be around $2K near the metra in Naperville for a house, but parts of western Lisle feed into Naperville school district (if that matters) and I saw a two bedroom for just less tha $1,500. That's a good area.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 4,905 times
Default Lisle, Naperville OR Des Plaines through to Arlington Heights rentals guidance needed. - reply

Hi -
My husband and I have a ranch home near downtown Naperville that we are looking to rent out to a professional person or family. It's an older home with a big yard, screened porch and patio. You can check it out on "roommates.com" under "naperhome". Rent is less than the price others quoted you. It's in the 203 school district and in a nice neighborhood. Good luck with your search!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,998,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmove View Post
Hi -
My husband and I have a ranch home near downtown Naperville that we are looking to rent out to a professional person or family. It's an older home with a big yard, screened porch and patio. You can check it out on "roommates.com" under "naperhome". Rent is less than the price others quoted you. It's in the 203 school district and in a nice neighborhood. Good luck with your search!
OK, that's enough - you've posted this on 3 separate threads already!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,739 times
I've lived in Lisle and Naperville since January 1988, and commute to downtown Chicago. The biggest Metra stops are Route 59 and downtown Naperville, and there are a lot of express trains during rush hour on those stops. Not so much for the Lisle station. There's plenty of parking at the Route 59 station if you get there early enough (i.e., before 7:15am is best). I find the ride on the train relaxing ... I can nap, or read, or do work.

You should be able to easily find a house or townhome for around $2000; a friend of mine has a three bedroom place in Aurora he rents for (I think) around $1500. He has a 15-20 minute drive to the Route 59 station up Eola drive. There are also plenty of high-end two bedroom apartments available in that price range. You might consider finding an extended stay hotel in Naperville for a few weeks until you've found a more permanent place.

If you're open to apartments, I currently live in a complex on Fairway Drive and it's convenient, but I wouldn't recommend any of them to you (some are less than desirable, and the ones next to the tracks are way overpriced). Here are some on my list I'm considering when my lease runs out: Grand Reserve, Autumn Run, Brookdale Lakes, Lincoln at the Parks, Arbors of Brookdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs