Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,316 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I am from Argentina and I will be traveling to Chicago next year. Most of the time I will be visiting the attractions at the loop and near north side, but I am thinking of making a day tour trough the chicago northern suburbs by train. I will purchase a cta free pass so I will be able to make as many trips as I want using the Chicago L. My idea is get off the train and walk at any interesting neighborhoods and then keep going to the next one.
My trip plan as far as today is:
Blue line from the loop to Irving Park
Brown line from Kimball to Bellmont
Red line from Bellmont to Howard
Purple line from Howard to Davis
Purple line back to the loop
So what do you think about this plan? Do you have any suggestion about which neighborhoods are worth visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM

439 posts, read 954,669 times
Those are all neighborhoods, not suburbs. There are a few suburbs the el goes to, Evanston, Wilmette, Skokie, Oak Park, Forest Park and Cicero.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Ok thanks, I thought that suburbs and neighborhoods was the same thing. My trip does include Evanston (Davis station-purple line) so I guess thats the only suburbs I am going to visit then.

Last edited by augusto440; 10-27-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto440 View Post
Hi everybody, I am from Argentina and I will be traveling to Chicago next year. Most of the time I will be visiting the attractions at the loop and near north side, but I am thinking of making a day tour trough the chicago northern suburbs by train. I will purchase a cta free pass so I will be able to make as many trips as I want using the Chicago L. My idea is get off the train and walk at any interesting neighborhoods and then keep going to the next one.
My trip plan as far as today is:
Blue line from the loop to Irving Park
Brown line from Kimball to Bellmont
Red line from Bellmont to Howard
Purple line from Howard to Davis
Purple line back to the loop
So what do you think about this plan? Do you have any suggestion about which neighborhoods are worth visiting?
As someone else pointed out, the only suburb on that list is Evanston (Davis Street). While that is downtown Evanston with lots of restaurants and shops, you might want to go up to Central Street and visit the lighthouse there. You would need to walk a bit to get to the beach and lighthouse area and there is a small museum there too. Also if you like to walk and have the time, the architecture north in Evanston around Sheridan Road is quite interesting.

How long do you have? You may not want to do all of that in one day. You would be spending a lot of time on the el rather than seeing anything.

There is not much interesting around Howard. Depending on what you enjoy seeing, Loyola's campus is nicer than the Howard street area.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM

439 posts, read 954,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto440 View Post
Ok thanks, I thought that suburbs and neighborhoods was the same thing. My trip does include Evanston (Davis station-purple line) so I guess thats the only suburbs I am going to visit then.
If you do decide to go that far north I'd suggest taking the Purple Line to the end (Linden) and taking the short walk to the Bahai temple in Wilmette.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Don't forget to visit some of our tango places to dance some tango while you are here.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
If you do decide to go that far north I'd suggest taking the Purple Line to the end (Linden) and taking the short walk to the Bahai temple in Wilmette.
Oh, yeah, great idea. I love the Bahai.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
You could take the Green Light west to Oak Park and walk around. The whole neighborhood has great stuff - some historic , some boutique stores that are really nice.

You could take the Red line to Argyle and then walk over toward the Asian area (Little Chinatown) and shops and restaurants.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
As someone else pointed out, the only suburb on that list is Evanston (Davis Street). While that is downtown Evanston with lots of restaurants and shops, you might want to go up to Central Street and visit the lighthouse there. You would need to walk a bit to get to the beach and lighthouse area and there is a small museum there too. Also if you like to walk and have the time, the architecture north in Evanston around Sheridan Road is quite interesting.

How long do you have? You may not want to do all of that in one day. You would be spending a lot of time on the el rather than seeing anything.

There is not much interesting around Howard. Depending on what you enjoy seeing, Loyola's campus is nicer than the Howard street area.
Thanks, so maybe it is a good idea to continue to Linden station, as someone else said, and then start walking south from Sheridan Road. I have added Howard on my trip plan just to make transfer with the purple line, I dont see it having a stop near Bellmont.
I will be staying 8 days in Chicago, but I have a lot of things to do around the loop, I am thinking now of making the trip to Evanston directly from the loop and leaving the neighborhood tour for the day I am going to the Brewers vs. Cubs opening game, I haven't made any plans for that day because I don't know the start time yet, but I guess it should be late considering it will be a monday game.

Last edited by augusto440; 10-28-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Don't forget to visit some of our tango places to dance some tango while you are here.
Thanks, but I am not even interested on the tango places in my hometown (Buenos Aires). I'd rather go to Buddy Guy's Legends .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You could take the Green Light west to Oak Park and walk around. The whole neighborhood has great stuff - some historic , some boutique stores that are really nice.

You could take the Red line to Argyle and then walk over toward the Asian area (Little Chinatown) and shops and restaurants.
I will add Oak Park to my trip to the neighborhoods, but I have already planned to visit Chinatown in New York, I think that two Chinatowns in the same trip will be too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs