Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM

147 posts, read 229,034 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken a road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles? I am looking into driving through on Route 66 in the near future because I have the time for it and it might be worthwhile. If you have any personal stories or insight into this, I would be greatly interested. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I have done it the "easy" way by mostly following the interstates that replaced Rt 66 and then using guidebooks to make side trips to the places still around from the "mother road" days. Much more time efficent than sticking to surface streets and if you checkout some web sites and travel books you really get to see all the good stuff.

You can probably do it under a week both ways but honestly something longer is better for a round trip. I have heard there are folks that rent RVs for the ride out and then fly back, makes a lot of sense if you can afford it.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM

282 posts, read 438,390 times
The OP says that he has "the time", so taking the surface streets might be good. But like chet said, many of the routes were taken over by interstates. In some instances, the old highway is actually visible from the interstate.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

NAT KING COLE ROUTE 66 - YouTube
The route designation was mostly removed years ago, but you will find commemorative markers along the old route. Along I-55 it is mostly a frontage road but picks up two more lanes when 55 swerves away to bypass cities.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
The OP says that he has "the time", so taking the surface streets might be good. But like chet said, many of the routes were taken over by interstates. In some instances, the old highway is actually visible from the interstate.

Something to consider is that route 66 wasn't constant. The roads that made up the route changed over time. In some areas there may be 2 or more parallel old Route 66 segments from different eras.

While I've driven segments of the historic route in various places between Chicago and Tulsa, and actually lived for a couple years on an old stretch of "Historic Route 66" in Springfield, IL, I've never had the time for a leisurely drive devoted to covering as much of the old surfaces as possible.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 PM

147 posts, read 229,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Something to consider is that route 66 wasn't constant. The roads that made up the route changed over time. In some areas there may be 2 or more parallel old Route 66 segments from different eras.

While I've driven segments of the historic route in various places between Chicago and Tulsa, and actually lived for a couple years on an old stretch of "Historic Route 66" in Springfield, IL, I've never had the time for a leisurely drive devoted to covering as much of the old surfaces as possible.

Thanks. I'll have to take note of the historic sites that I do not want to miss then.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Upon looking at some Route 66 route maps/information, some of the road is not there anymore, but they tell you where to go to make up for that.

I have been to Springfield from Chicago, and Route 55 generally follows the old Route 66 way, I stopped in Lincoln and Springfield, and saw the actual places that were there when i was a little kid on Route 66 when it was travelled.. that was exciting to actually be in a historic location! I'd love to take a trip out west to see some mom and pop Route 66 motels and eat at some historic restaurants.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Be different! Take the Lincoln Highway out to San Francisco! Pick it up in Joliet.

Go over the Donner Pass. Take the Great Depression highway Woody Gutherie sings about in "Hard Travelin."

Woody Guthrie - Hard Traveling - tekst piosenki, teledysk, mp3 (Click on album cover.)

The Lincoln Highway celebrates its 100th birthday in 2013.

Lincoln Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM

108 posts, read 543,097 times
Tulsa pictures: This Tulsa art deco bridge in Tulsa Oklahoma is worth a stop there is parking on the east side the bridge is closed.

Tulsa art deco bridge.

Tulsa Pictures: Tulsa picture on route 66 is part of the Tulsa skyline viewed from the west it fits in well but this view shows the statue better. There is parking to the south the statue is 30% larger that life size.

Tulsa Pictures: Tulsa picture on route 66 By John Shoemaker

Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
It you take the entire Route 66 it is long! Its great to see all the sites but a lot of twists and turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs