Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

117 posts, read 202,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
In downtown (if) you want a top school you have to pay big $$$ for them - at least that's my understanding. Any burbs south of city are bad - you want north (most expensive, known as north shores) or west of city. In my opinion the north shores are a little quiet unless you can score a home close to a downtown center.

I will try to Share my homework with you but it does not come first hand like MI. My Chicago knowledge is based on online research, forums and visits. We are buying as our re-location package is much sweeter with a buy vs. rent.

Still searching for the right home in OP/RF here... 13m CTA line to downtown Chicago from the OP/RF and central to everything including airport... To me best of both worlds.

I think the issue with OPRF isn't the right home but how much in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 AM

258 posts, read 347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Your post seems to be in the past tense. Are you not there anymore?

I would love to live in the trendy area your niece lives in, but I got a kid to take care of.
You might want to consider Evanston. Its a half hour north of downtown, has really good connectivity with downtown (bus, El, and Metra), has its own downtown with a pretty good (100 odd I guess) selection of bars, restaurants, and a bunch of places that do live shows. Lots of rental and housing options in and around the downtown area. It is also fairly safe in the downtown area - safe enough that you can walk late at night and not have to be afraid, or be afraid for your kid. It also has a college town feel to it as Northwestern university is right next door and you see lots of kids everywhere in the downtown area which makes it come across as safe as well. It also has a few nice beaches and parks. It is also fairly multi-cultural and liberal. The best part is that all of this is in walking distance of each other.

The schools are not the best, but fairly good (based on what I hear though - don't have first hand knowledge).

Personally, I find myself seeking this balance as well - I want some trendy options, a downtown where people actually walk and that has a nice vibe to it, but is also safe and green (not too industrial and bleak), and has decent schools for kids. Willing to compromise a little on all of these aspects, but also want a place that can offer all this together in a compact geography.

Evanston not perfect by any means, and does have a couple of rough neighborhoods, and also has fairly high prices, but its still a pretty good option. In my limited experience of Chicago, I've noticed that Andersonville has a similar vibe (although it leans more towards the trendy side and not so much as being kid friendly), and so does the Sheffield area closer to downtown. But I know very little about these areas besides frequenting the shops and restaurants in those areas.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
As you stated for Joliet/Naperville you can find a 2bd for $1200-1300 in either pretty easily, or even Plainfield, Shorewood, or Crest Hill. The safer choices of those would be Naperville. It really just depends on where you work and how far you want to travel. There are a TON of suburbs to choose from it just depends on your preferences.
Naperville has grown so large and diverse that I would question it being the best place to live for the buck.Always was the alternative of Lisle and Four Lakes, being right on the Naperville city limits.In days past Four Lakes was a bit pricy for some , but today its a real steel ? ! I lived at 6000 Oakwood, a six story high rise and loved it.great view, building loaded with so many willing to meet ladies , single gals mostly few divorced with kids, which I never dated, there was no need the supply was so overflowing, yes , actually true !, stewardess, teachers, sales reps, and a whole lot of folks who took the train everyday downtown. I am sure there are other complexes around that might be newer and more up scale. For me , I liked the cozy outdoor lifestyle where you cound ride your bike to the Pud and hours latter wonder home ( sometimes ) with no worries about getting a DUI., you just walked it off on the way to your apartment.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM

12,849 posts, read 9,583,014 times
You guys are the best.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Crime in the burbs Major concern?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Crime in the burbs Major concern?
Overall, crime in Suburban Chicago land is less than in the City. There are safe areas in the city as well, same for the burbs. I am sure City-Data can help, your answer has already been recorded, as I recall.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,484 times
South Suburbs can be nice but the commute is long if you find work downtown.
I live near O'Hare and you can definitely find a condo for that price. You can live in Chicago if you live near a good school like Oriole Park, Edison Park, and Onahan.
Oriole Park is rated a 9 on greatschools and the staff is great.
I love my neighborhood because we are close to the train, shopping, and right off the expressway.
Look up zip codes 60656,60631 in Chicago.
But you also may be able to find an apartment for that price in Park Ridge, yes the place Hillary Clinton grew up which is still a rich suburb. It is just North of where we live and I love the suburban atmosphere without being too far in the suburbs especially with kids who commute to college in Licoln Park.
As far a suburbs go, Naperville is beautiful and very safe, some of the others you must be careful.
I would do a search on Trulia.com
Click on a house then click on the map and it will show you the crime in the area.
Too many million dollar homes in Chicago are situated in area where you walk out your front door and you are surrounded by homeless people and a lot of crime. If I were single maybe but as long as I have children in my home you wouldn't catch me living in the sought after neighborhoods in Chicago, they are not safe.
Northwest suburbs, that's my advice but don't go extremely far North because North Chicago and Waukegan are crime ridden areas too. Just my take on it as a parent.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM

CAndy, so you're saying go suburbs strictly?

It's crazy, in Texas and I'm guessing across the country, you hear how Cali is about to sink and the Dems have ruined everything there, but many Cali residents are saying things are better than ever.

Same applies to Chicago. Down here, we hear "why would you want to live in a place with such corrupt politics, I mean Obama is from there." But then, it seems as if life still goes on.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM

Couple more things:

Tell me how bad are the winters? Really? Can I layer my way to comfort if I know the cold is coming?

Also, how hard of a life is it? Let's say I work downtown, live in Naperville or Evanston, is it an exhausting commute day? Is life as fast and grueling as it is in NYC>

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 AM

545 posts, read 1,485,729 times
Quote:
Couple more things:

Tell me how bad are the winters? Really? Can I layer my way to comfort if I know the cold is coming?

Also, how hard of a life is it? Let's say I work downtown, live in Naperville or Evanston, is it an exhausting commute day? Is life as fast and grueling as it is in NYC>
The past few winters haven't been that bad, but you never know what's going to happen year to year. In Feb 2011 there was a blizzard that dumped nearly two feet of snow. That's exceedingly rare though. There are usually a few days a year where the temperature gets to around 0 or a little below overnight and doesn't warm up to much more than 10 degrees. There are more days that are in the upper teens or low 20s with a wind chill, which isn't fun. Either way, you'll want a nice warm jacket. If you're dressed properly, it's not that bad most days. Like I said, snow is really a crap shoot. Some years we get a ton and others not that much. The year of the blizzard there wasn't much up to that point, and there wasn't much after it either. Last year there wasn't measurable snow at all until almost Christmas and there wasn't an inch or more until the end of January.

The lifestyle isn't as fast paced as NYC or even Washington DC. Living in Evanston and working downtown would be pretty easy. Naperville would be a longer train ride, but still not bad (less than an hour IIRC).

Last edited by brian571; 08-18-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs