Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 PM

25 posts, read 40,578 times

Advertisements

No use telling me NOT to move there now! We bought a house in Westchester that we really like. It's in the 1600 block of Bristol Ave. We are moving there from Terre Haute, IN on March 10. (We used to live in DC and miss the big city). We are retired and do not have children--so the school situation is not a problem (I know, resale--but, hey, we'll probably be going out feet first!). The neighbors seem really nice and we have two cars--so we can drive into Chicago or drive to public transportation. But I get SO MANY mixed messages about Westchester-we're theatre and comedy followers (and a practitioner) so I know we'll be in the city a lot. But--we're older folks -- and it seemed to be close enough to the city yet near great forest preserves, safe, and kind of a little refuge form the city. I had heard that below the 1000 block, the neighborhood is not too good--but that we're in an OK area. Then I hear that our area is "iffy" and we should get security and all that noise. (Bear in mind we lived just outside of DC in the 90sw in a neighborhood that was very diverse and that some of our friends thought MUST be dangerous--but was not at all dangerous). Of course we lock our doors! But I didn't see bars on anyone's door in the neighborhood--it all seemed fine.
For all of you who know the area--could you tell me what's really up with all the contradictory info? We walked all around, day and night, and felt fine. (Of course, it was freezing COLD!!) ALSO--I'v eheard the METRA is pretty safe at night -- but that the subway lines aren't always so--your takes on that and the lines nearby? Any information is appreciated!!
Thanks--Sharona A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM

166 posts, read 357,438 times
Youre fine. It's still safer than a N. side neighborhood and people pay several million to live in a single family home there.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
There is no part of Westchester that could be considered dangerous in 2014. People are concerned about the future direction of the town (a dubious Chicago tradition that occurs any time more than ten black people move in to a town), but as of today Westchester is still quite safe and well-maintained. And it may still be that way in 20 years. The biggest drain on attracting new residents with money and choices is the absolutely terrible high school situation.

Check out the crime stats on city-data.com. Westchester has had exactly one murder since 1999, and very little violent crime of any kind. Theft and burglary would be your biggest worries, but they are not at levels that set off tremendous alarm bells considering the inner-ring Cook County location.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Westchester-Illinois.html

Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
LK -- I generally respect your opinion but saying that speculation about issues like future values /safety in towns like Westchester is just about a race is gross mischaracterization.

There are portions of Westchester that have a whole mess of negatives that have nothing to do with race. Few people appreciate the weird mish-mash of land uses that exist in Westchester -- there is little a HUGE landfill, currently "closed" but rotting away nonetheless on the town's north western border (another not far away in Hillside too), several enormous cementeries along its south western border, another large cementary just east of town, and multiple large Forest Preserves that save for the generous efforts of a tiny but dedicated band of volunteers would be overgrown with garbage instead of "preserving" a unique slice of what this area looked like long ago... The lack of rail transit or any kind of real "hub" of town means that folks have just a handful of strip malls to sort of call the "gathering places" in town. Combined with a a huge imbalance / mismatch compared to extremely costly / affluent bordering area like Oak Brook, Western Springs and Lagrange it is no wonder that the OP gets "mixed messages".

It is true that the town is safe by really any measure. There are a handful of blocks that have a larger than average number or rentals and you might some kids walking around unsupervised but the police are VERY VERY no-nonese about loitering, graffiti or any kind of public mischief. Further there are still a decent number of families that do send their kids to private high schools like St. Joseph or Nazareth and that is a good thing in the overall mix of younger families that do utilize their yards and maintain a safe streetscape / neighborly attitude.

I would urge the OP to get to know their neighbors. Make an effort to "beautify" the front yard and keep the cars tucked away in the garage. If having an alarm or monitoring service makes you feel safer it is not the worst idea but it is hardly a necessity.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
LK -- I generally respect your opinion but saying that speculation about issues like future values /safety in towns like Westchester is just about a race is gross mischaracterization.
The original poster has said that he has "heard some things" about Westchester. I'm saying that there is a difference between the sort of rumors that go around about a town "going down the tubes" and the reality on the ground. Or perhaps it's just lag time? I don't know. It's entirely possible that Westchester will soon follow the pattern of Broadview and Bellwood. But for now, it's still pretty safe. And the OP has said he isn't concerned about declining home values.

Sure, it's not all about race. But Chicagoland's suburbanites have a long, storied history of forecasting racial change and labeling towns and neighborhoods as "going the wrong way", and as a bunch are generally hypersensitive about racial change. And it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as white residents panic and leave. I'm not a person that places all of the blame on these declining suburbs on former white residents. But I do think that part of the reason that Westchester is where it is now has a lot to do with second-generation "white flight" from the suburbs that feed in to Proviso West, and you might argue that Westchester has held up better against white flight because of the solid history of Catholic education there.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM

I've posted this before, but it's just such a fascinating article and pertinent to the conversation about Westchester. The article is now 20 years old, and things have only gotten worse at Proviso West.

'WE'RE ALL RACIST NOW' - NYTimes.com

Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 AM

25 posts, read 40,578 times
Thank you, everyone! Very informative. Anything about the subway/Metra? Sharon A.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammen View Post
Thank you, everyone! Very informative. Anything about the subway/Metra? Sharon A.
You would probably have to drive down La Grange Road to catch it in La Grange.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Or into Western Springs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You would probably have to drive down La Grange Road to catch it in La Grange.
Parking is definately easier in Lagrange but parts of Westchester are quicker to Wolf Rd. ...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Parking is definately easier in Lagrange but parts of Westchester are quicker to Wolf Rd. ...
The express schedule is better from La Grange, I believe...

I'd also say you could drive North to the UP-W, but you don't want to park in Bellwood, Maywood, or Berkley. Trust me on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs