Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

Cook County residents complain about their property taxes but they would get really hosed if they moved to a collar county.
Illinois Property Taxes By County - 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Cook County residents complain about their property taxes but they would get really hosed if they moved to a collar county.
What is it with Lake County taxes? Why are they so much higher than DuPage, for example? Is it that DuPage has more commercial real estate or that the school districts have much higher rates? The Lake County portion of my taxes isn't much. Always wondered why there's such a disparity between the collar counties...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That is a complete misstatement of the law.
What is? Please elaborate.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Partly "boom town effect", partly just the patterns of development ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
What is it with Lake County taxes? Why are they so much higher than DuPage, for example? Is it that DuPage has more commercial real estate or that the school districts have much higher rates? The Lake County portion of my taxes isn't much. Always wondered why there's such a disparity between the collar counties...
The worst towns in DuPage Co are probably places like Addison or West Chicago which despite being a whole lots less desirable than the county's nicest towns still are far from crime ridden / no-job kind of places. I actually work with a few folks that grew up in Addison and a nice younger guy that lives in the portion of West Chicago served by St. Charles schools, all in all pretty decent. Say what you will about strip malls, car dealers and fast food but the various commercial corridors of DuPage mostly are distributed in a ways that match the desires of food driving through to the kind of roadways that don't make too many parts of too many towns unlivable.

In contrast the extreme contrast of Waukegan or North Chicago against the palatial estates of Lake Forest makes for a stark reminder that the development patterns of that county differ dramatically. The land barons of Lake Co whether near Lake Michigan or along the tollroad, or farther inland seem to have less of a coordinated vision than more of a "avoid the worst spots" haphazard pattern. If you want a drive thru resturants and you are east of Greenbay Rd forget about it, but in Gurnee or Vernon Hills there are too many. Even more "middle of the road" parts of Gurnee have some of the hallmarks of towns that grew too fast, had to massively build up schools and similar services and abruptly hike taxes. The literal seasonal carnival type workers at Great American are not doing much to help support property values...

DuPage has grown more steadily, often with a fairly balanced approach to commerical and residential. The old line small business people that dominated local politics had a lot more good sense that either the very rich or very poor that Lake Co has had to deal with...

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't know where they got their numbers but my mother lives in Cook County, they claim her house is worth $350k (It is really worth about $300 even) and she pays $7500/year. It eats up more than 1/3 of her take home pay.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
The number is likely the arithmetic mean of all assessed residential properties in the county. Remember, Cook county is huge with something like a billion different taxing bodies. Obviously, there will be significant variation within municipalities, not to go all Chet on you, but places like Schaumburg with significant commercial tax base will have lower residential tax rates compared to some economically stricken south suburban towns. Also, the city of Chicago tends to have lower residential rates than the suburbs, and Chicago represents about half of Cook county.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't know where they got their numbers but my mother lives in Cook County, they claim her house is worth $350k (It is really worth about $300 even) and she pays $7500/year. It eats up more than 1/3 of her take home pay.
Ouch, that's pretty extreme at 2.5% of value. I would not call that a typical tax situation in Cook County, but she should go through the appeal process if it is out of whack with other properties in her area.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Also, the city of Chicago tends to have lower residential rates than the suburbs, and Chicago represents about half of Cook county.
My property tax bill in the City of Chicago was 1.2% of the value of my home. Very low. We made sure to appeal it every time they re-assessed, though. That is totally worth the meager legal fee.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Look, there are towns where the property taxes are barely 1% of the current value of the home. Some of these towns have lots of homes under $400k. If you think $350/mo for schools and parks and cops and firefighters and libraries and the county courts and all they other ain't worth $11/day you should move. Seriously.

I have friends / relatives / business associates that will gladly tell you the horrible mess that Prop 13 has caused out in LaLa Land -- the schools generally stink, the cops are angry and susceptible to criminal influence, the firefighters are still pretty dedicated but if you get in a car wreck and need an ambulance ride except to bill for about a $1000...

Don't be stupid.
How do so many other states still manage an effective state government, without the loads of government debt and pension obligations, that Illnois and Chicagoland have? Some states don't have an income tax (and of those that do, some are lower than Illinois) and many don't have the high property taxes or as steep a sales tax as Illinois, but manage to cope just fine.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Ouch, that's pretty extreme at 2.5% of value. I would not call that a typical tax situation in Cook County, but she should go through the appeal process if it is out of whack with other properties in her area.
Yep the worst part is we are paying Lake Co rates almost with none of the advantages. I bike ride frequently in Lake Co. THe difference is night and day. They have beautiful trails, and forest preserves, and facilities for dogs to romp arround, good libraries etc.

Cook county has dilapidated forest preseves with outhouse bathrooms, rotted wooden benches, and rusty picnic shacks and almost no dog facilities. The few there are charge a hefty membership fee and are total run down dumps. This even though they take in tons more money than the collar counties with the higher rates and abundance of commercial real estate in Chicago and some of the close in subburbs. Unfortunately the Cook County govt has a legacy of being a dumping ground for useless policial cronies to have high paying well benefited jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs