Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times

Advertisements

Before you move, you might want to check out the Waterleaf restaurant, conveniently located on the COD campus. But you better hurry-rumor has it that it will be closing soon.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Change tense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Glen Ellyn is just about as nice as a place as you will find in the western suburbs. If you work there, why not try to live there? It will make your live easier. Only think is, your price point for housing is low and it will be challenging to find something at it.
That's why I suggested Batavia. It has that smaller feeling with the historic downtown core, but for a little bit of a lower price (depending on where you live that is, since many parts are pretty upscale.) But there are plenty of fixer uppers near downtown that have tons of character.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
That's why I suggested Batavia. It has that smaller feeling with the historic downtown core, but for a little bit of a lower price (depending on where you live that is, since many parts are pretty upscale.) But there are plenty of fixer uppers near downtown that have tons of character.
Is Butterfield a decent rush hour road going east? If so, that might work well... Though I think Warrenville or Winfield would be a heck of a lot easier.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 AM

Yeah, Butterfield isn't too bad. And 88 is also close-ish by too, if he wanted to go that route.

Since he specified a grocery store downtown, I didn't know if Winfield or Warrenville would fit the bill, though, I will be honest, I have limited knowledge of both downtowns (especially Winfield). Does Warrenville have a grocery store downtown? I know that Winfield is kind of tiny, especially stores-wise.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Yeah, Butterfield isn't too bad. And 88 is also close-ish by too, if he wanted to go that route.

Since he specified a grocery store downtown, I didn't know if Winfield or Warrenville would fit the bill, though, I will be honest, I have limited knowledge of both downtowns (especially Winfield). Does Warrenville have a grocery store downtown? I know that Winfield is kind of tiny, especially stores-wise.
Neither one has any sort of "downtown" worth mentioning, though there is a small cluster of businesses near the Winfield Metra station.

Only people with large budgets don't need to compromise.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 AM

I think they are both fine places, though, and would probably shorten the Glen Ellyn commute.

When they widened Butterfield past 59 to two lanes in most parts, I think it definitely has helped with traffic flow eastward and westward.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Winfield and Warrenville have minuscule town cores and most shopping has to be done in Wheaton or Naperville which is five minutes away driving.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,272 times
I agree Gepid.. I lived in Wheaton from 1953 to 1971 went all through my school years there.. Yes there are more Christian Organizations and Charity groups in Wheaton per sq. in. hahahaha than anywhere in the world hahaha.. My Parents left Wheaton and moved to Glen Ellyn around 1974 and stayed until 1985.. Yes Much of Du Page County is Republican.. and its spreading west.. Realty Taxes can be , IMHO Very High .. $5000 to $15000 is not unusual. We lived in the historic district of West Chicago and paid $9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepid View Post
The poster should check out Lombard, close to Glen Ellyn. Downtown isn't great, but they do have cruise nights and easy access to metra for Chicago events. People are a bit more laid back, than what you'd find in Glen Ellyn, Wheaton or even Naperville. Housing is more affordable as well, but options are slightly limited.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Since 1985 the character and nature of Wheaton has radically changed...the whole south side has been built up with new subdivisions and thousands of new commers who are largely not of the fundamental Christian category. Most of the Christian organizations have moved from Wheaton to slightly farther north including the Wheaton Bible church where most of them go...its no longer in Wheaton. What I like about the building in south Wheaton is that its seems to be well integrated physically with the rest of the city. It does not have the huge tract house feeling you get in parts of far flung Naperville. There seem to be more trees and vegetation in Wheaton.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I agree Gepid.. I lived in Wheaton from 1953 to 1971 went all through my school years there.. Yes there are more Christian Organizations and Charity groups in Wheaton per sq. in. hahahaha than anywhere in the world hahaha.. My Parents left Wheaton and moved to Glen Ellyn around 1974 and stayed until 1985.. Yes Much of Du Page County is Republican.. and its spreading west.. Realty Taxes can be , IMHO Very High .. $5000 to $15000 is not unusual. We lived in the historic district of West Chicago and paid $9000
Your comment is directed at real estate taxes in Wheaton, but you claim to have lived in the historic district of West Chicago. Two completely different towns. And much has changed since the 1970's -- everywhere... not fair to compare to the current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs