Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:21 AM

748 posts, read 832,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
Wheaton = Bible Belt. Just fyi.
Although your statement is a vast oversimplification, I suspect you are saying that it's a highly religious place (like much of the US). Now, the bible belt is looked down upon by some for their penchant to what President Obama called "guns and religion," derisively (and perhaps correctly) suggesting a largely poor, white, uneducated, blue-collar population of whites. I find it extremely hard to believe that Wheaton shares these same attributes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja29 View Post
although your statement is a vast oversimplification, i suspect you are saying that it's a highly religious place (like much of the us). Now, the bible belt is looked down upon by some for their penchant to what president obama called "guns and religion," derisively (and perhaps correctly) suggesting a largely poor, white, uneducated, blue-collar population of whites. I find it extremely hard to believe that wheaton shares these same attributes.
lolz

Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 AM

79 posts, read 129,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife is due to have twins next year, and with the impending addition to our family, staying in the city is no longer an option. She works near Ogilvie, so Metra access is a must -- a 45 minute door to door commute is the max we'd consider.

Although we would be willing to rent, the market for buying seems so much better right now. We can likely come up with a down payment, and our budget is 350K MAX (with 300K being a much more realistic target). For reference, we pay nearly 2K in rent now, so a mortgage of this size with taxes won't be much different than things are now.

The important things are schools (primarily elementary, as lots can change in 10-11 years time), commute time, and a family oriented progressive-leaning neighborhood.

We have visited and enjoy Oak Park, but I think that anything there would absolutely have to be a condo. Houses are just too expensive.

We have friends with kids in Lombard, and the neighborhoods are nice, plus commuting would be alright.

To add to the questions here, a concern of mine is that I'll be the parent raising the children (I'm in grad school now, and unless a great job comes up will be raising the kids myself). Finding a community where fathers play a big role in the lives of the children is important.

So, any suggestions on what burbs have good schools in this price range and commuting time?

Thanks!
The southwest portion of lombard is great. The home prices are low and kids feed into the glen ellyn schools.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke3238 View Post
The southwest portion of lombard is great. The home prices are low and kids feed into the glen ellyn schools.
It looks like parts of eastern Lombard might be better for schools as well, as they feed into Villa Park. Any thoughts on Villa Park schools or that area as a cheaper alternative to Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
It looks like parts of eastern Lombard might be better for schools as well, as they feed into Villa Park. Any thoughts on Villa Park schools or that area as a cheaper alternative to Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst?
Lombard Schools are typically better than Villa Park Schools, so that is probably not a positive attribute.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke3238 View Post
Glenbard South and District 89, not Glenbard West and District 41. Both are good districts, however.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 705 times
Were you successful in finding any SAHD groups in the Western Suburbs? I'm a SAHD for 2 boys, 2 girls all under age of 7 that recently moved to Hinsdale. I am also looking for other SAHDs to organize play dates with. I appreciate any thing you can share.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsys View Post
Were you successful in finding any SAHD groups in the Western Suburbs? I'm a SAHD for 2 boys, 2 girls all under age of 7 that recently moved to Hinsdale. I am also looking for other SAHDs to organize play dates with. I appreciate any thing you can share.
We're still expecting, so I've not looked on meetup, etc. as of yet. However, I'd be happy to get together from time to time if my location allows. I'll update the thread with more info as appropriate. PM me if you'd like.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM

To cap off a slightly old thread - thanks everyone for your inputs. I've landed in Downer's Grove, and look forward to it. If anyone has suggestions for pediatricians, please feel free to send me a direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs