Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM

405 posts, read 573,467 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Michigan and my plan was to move to downtown Chicago but I have a job offer in McHenry that I am considering but don't care for the area as I would like more of downtown city vibe. Is there a suburb that you would recommend that isn't to far of a commute that would give me something close to what I'm looking for? Everything that fits my description seems be at least an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
McHenry is still a largely rural area that is on the fringe of suburbia. Even the handful of towns in Lake Co that have well developed rail centric cores are decidedly not the kind of place that even their biggest supporter could claim have a true "downtown vibe"...

Odds are you won't find anything suitable unless you drive far more than an hour ...

Arlington Heights is probably about as close to halfway between Chicago and McHenry as you could want .

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
McHenry is still a largely rural area that is on the fringe of suburbia. Even the handful of towns in Lake Co that have well developed rail centric cores are decidedly not the kind of place that even their biggest supporter could claim have a true "downtown vibe"...

Odds are you won't find anything suitable unless you drive far more than an hour ...

Arlington Heights is probably about as close to halfway between Chicago and McHenry as you could want .
What about a city that is close to shopping and restaurants?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
What about a city that is close to shopping and restaurants?
Chicago?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Chicago?
It would need to be as close as possible to McHenry. I haven't eliminated the idea of commuting but Chicago is to far of a commute.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Crystal Lake isn't too far from McHenry and has a decent downtown, depending on what you are looking for. Nothing like Schaumburg/Naperville/Downers Grove but not too bad. Two metra stations for getting to the city, decent restaurants. Might be worth looking into, but in all honesty I don't think it's the downtown vibe you are looking for

Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Crystal Lake is a good option if you're going to be in McHenry County. Arlington Heights may be a bear of a commute, but it would be a very solid choice if it wasn't for the distance. Honestly either of those two towns might resemble some of the towns you'd find in the Metro Detroit suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Crystal Lake isn't too far from McHenry and has a decent downtown, depending on what you are looking for. Nothing like Schaumburg/Naperville/Downers Grove but not too bad. Two metra stations for getting to the city, decent restaurants. Might be worth looking into, but in all honesty I don't think it's the downtown vibe you are looking for

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
although it's often overlooked on these forums, downtown Elgin might be a good choice, from what I've heard the city's traditional core has improved quite a bit in the last ten years.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
BUT, Elgin to Mc Henry might not be such a nice commute.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
im not too familiar with the area. mchenry is actually quite nice, especially if your into boating and using the lakes. for what your looking for however im afraid nothing will be even close to a city vibe out there. the best you can hope for is some decent shopping and maybe some nightlife, maybe be near a metra to head to the city but nothing out there is going to be what your looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs