Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM

118 posts, read 180,944 times

Advertisements

I am looking for condo or townhouse in the western suburbs. I would like a single family home but my budget is around 150k or under.

The problem is that I am sensitive to noise. Does anyone know of fairly soundproof condos or townhouses? I am flexible on location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
My situation is exactly the same as the OP's, although I did some research already. OP, can you share your age and marital/family status? It'll help people point you in the right direction on where to look.

For myself (single man, early 30's), I've been looking primarily in La Grange, Lombard, and Elmhurst. Those are old suburbs with vibrant downtowns and Metra stations, that aren't overwhelmingly family-centric.

No idea on soundproofing, sorry. I'd wager a guess that new construction within a block of Metra stations would have some sort of soundproofing in the walls facing the tracks. Most suburbs are quiet, though.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
My situation is exactly the same as the OP's, although I did some research already. OP, can you share your age and marital/family status? It'll help people point you in the right direction on where to look.

For myself (single man, early 30's), I've been looking primarily in La Grange, Lombard, and Elmhurst. Those are old suburbs with vibrant downtowns and Metra stations, that aren't overwhelmingly family-centric.

No idea on soundproofing, sorry. I'd wager a guess that new construction within a block of Metra stations would have some sort of soundproofing in the walls facing the tracks. Most suburbs are quiet, though.
Downtown La Grange and Elmhurst are a big step up from downtown Lombard with regard to vibrancy, things-to-do, and charm. Naperville, Wheaton, and Downers Grove compare nicely to La Grange and Elmhurst.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd wager a guess that new construction within a block of Metra stations would have some sort of soundproofing in the walls facing the tracks. Most suburbs are quiet, though.
Don't ever assume that. Condos in that relatively low price range will most certainly not have the same amenities as higher priced digs. YMMV.

Keep in mind that noise, or more importantly, what constitutes noise, will vary wildly. Some suburbs have less, others will have the obvious noise at regular times. It's just depends on what you feel is adequate and what you end up living next to per se.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Downtown La Grange and Elmhurst are a big step up from downtown Lombard with regard to vibrancy, things-to-do, and charm. Naperville, Wheaton, and Downers Grove compare nicely to La Grange and Elmhurst.
I know that. But most of my weekend outings take place in the Naperville area or downtown Chicago, with an occasional trek to Schaumburg, and it's usually the same venues every time. I don't want to live in those two areas (too suburban or too pricey, respectively). But the suburbs I'm looking at are an acceptable in-between point, even the less-vibrant Lombard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Keep in mind that noise, or more importantly, what constitutes noise, will vary wildly. Some suburbs have less, others will have the obvious noise at regular times. It's just depends on what you feel is adequate and what you end up living next to per se.
I'm aware that it's YMMV when it comes to noise levels. I, personally, don't mind train sounds, but I'm a railfan. Which makes un-soundproof condos near Metra stations more acceptable to me. I wouldn't want to live near a highway, though. Other people might feel differently; I guess this part is safe to assume.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Check out Wheaton... There are a couple within walking distance of the metro & downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs