Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM

18 posts, read 66,368 times

Advertisements

Is anyone buying a home over there w/them? It is off of Ridge Rd/Theodore.

If so, what the most popular model? We both like the "Manchester" but unable to move especially w/the market.

I can't get hubby to set a goal within next year 2009/2010 move date. The longer we are here in our current home the more miserable for me. My hubby says he can wait out for another 3 to 5 years. I cried -- because I want to move for a lot of reason.

We live on a busy street -- not safe for the twins
We have a govt' home 3 houses from us (yup!)
Across street are town homes in front of us
No house behind us (private lot, good news for better value)
No children on this block beside my twins
Kitchen is off from the family room area
If move, w/District 201

My needs:
Need bigger family room/w open face kitchen (to see the kids)
Need 4th bedroom for in-law suite
Need a play room (can't afford finished basement)

When I saw Manchester which has a in-law suite on 1st floor and a 2nd family room could be a playroom/homework room. This means we would not have to justify the cost for a finish basement for move-in. It has all the featuring we would need for the twins to grow up.

I am only going to say this -- hubby has no idea what it is like to stay home w/twins toddlers as they are growing and need more room to run around. We could do a finish basement but I am nervous as "what if" we move and would have wanted the new owner to design their taste?

The comp in my subdivision for the model we have is between $250k to $239k. I can tell you if we can put our house on the market for $240k because we did some renovation compared to 3 of the models we saw photos. I would like to see a big down payment about $50k.

Anyhow, they have about 30 lots available for Phase II, and next Phase will be open next June 2009. The other thing we will have 2 new malls and that would really increase some portion of the value to the house. The houses in Plainfield/Joliet has increased since 5 years ago due to growth.

Any advice for me?

Thanks,
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM

72 posts, read 263,109 times
i am in sable ridge across the street and i would pick centex over lakewood handsdown.......SOOO many people are moving out of there. PM me and I can explain further to you the cons i have heard from people i know in there. Also, they have ben there since 2005 and are in stage 2....i was the first phase in centex and we are now in our 5th ......

Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,600 times
Default Dont build or buy at lakewood prairie joliet

I have a lafayette model and the workmanship and materials are very poor. I have had many plumbing problems ie: Leaking pipes in ceiling, water heater rusted out and was leaking, ejector pump burned , bathroom shower tiles leaking into the laundry room that i had just finished painting, and all this has been within 18 months of moving in. There was a ton of screw pops. Tape in the wall joints that loosened up. There is not one wall on the house that is plumb. Painting was a nightmare. Several floor board warpped under the carpet. Once the 1 year warranty was over there was no more customer service. I can buy a $30,000.00 car with a 3 year warranty, but my $300,000.00 home is a one year warranty. They act as if they do you a great favor to do the one year. They brag about all their jd power awards because they meet their construction dates consistantly. That is because the work is fast, sloppy, poor workmanship. Do not buy a lakewood home. I can not sell my home because there are so many homes in this subdivision for sale no one will buy. Perspective buyers have to wonder. What is the problem. They are smart to wonder about that. Do not buy lakewood homes.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 24,903 times
Lakewood keeps winning awards though. For what if they are so bad? The models looked nice in Plano when I looked 2 years ago. Joliet has some very bad areas. I would only consider west Joliet/Shorewood border if I were you.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Do you think that quality of Lakewood could have diminished over the years? My family's first brand new home was Lakewood in Naperville, 1997. Our workmanship was of good quality, and we had very few issues within the first year.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
Lakewood keeps winning awards though. For what if they are so bad? The models looked nice in Plano when I looked 2 years ago. Joliet has some very bad areas. I would only consider west Joliet/Shorewood border if I were you.
Lakewood Prairie is in a good area, no where near the bad parts of Joliet. It is in the far west Joliet/Shorewood/Plainfield border, and attends Minooka schools. I've never owned one of their homes so I can't speak for the quality.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,274 times
Default Lakewook homes Sucks

We bought a house in Oct 2007. Horrible workmanship and horrible employees. We just came home today to find out that our entire roof is leaking in the attic, the whole attic is ruined, mold is growing all over the wood beams, the insulation is soaked with water. The water is pooring down our chimney and down into the basment. Who know what the walls that out dry walled look like. We have two call into them a our waiting for there stupid replys. Our home warranty ran out Oct 31, 2008, but this is castrophic, the whole roof would need to be replaced. We live in Lakewood Crossing, we have having alot of problems over here. My last two homes were Pulte and Ryland, we never had any problems with them This was a huge mistake to buy here. My neighbors are all having problems with the workmanship of the home.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyirishtwins View Post
Is anyone buying a home over there w/them? It is off of Ridge Rd/Theodore.

If so, what the most popular model? We both like the "Manchester" but unable to move especially w/the market.

I can't get hubby to set a goal within next year 2009/2010 move date. The longer we are here in our current home the more miserable for me. My hubby says he can wait out for another 3 to 5 years. I cried -- because I want to move for a lot of reason.

We live on a busy street -- not safe for the twins
We have a govt' home 3 houses from us (yup!)
Across street are town homes in front of us
No house behind us (private lot, good news for better value)
No children on this block beside my twins
Kitchen is off from the family room area
If move, w/District 201

My needs:
Need bigger family room/w open face kitchen (to see the kids)
Need 4th bedroom for in-law suite
Need a play room (can't afford finished basement)

When I saw Manchester which has a in-law suite on 1st floor and a 2nd family room could be a playroom/homework room. This means we would not have to justify the cost for a finish basement for move-in. It has all the featuring we would need for the twins to grow up.

I am only going to say this -- hubby has no idea what it is like to stay home w/twins toddlers as they are growing and need more room to run around. We could do a finish basement but I am nervous as "what if" we move and would have wanted the new owner to design their taste?

The comp in my subdivision for the model we have is between $250k to $239k. I can tell you if we can put our house on the market for $240k because we did some renovation compared to 3 of the models we saw photos. I would like to see a big down payment about $50k.

Anyhow, they have about 30 lots available for Phase II, and next Phase will be open next June 2009. The other thing we will have 2 new malls and that would really increase some portion of the value to the house. The houses in Plainfield/Joliet has increased since 5 years ago due to growth.

Any advice for me?

Thanks,
D
What area do you exactly want to move from, and why the rush?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,202 times
Default Planning to buy Lakewood Home feedback desired!!

We are getting ready to put an offer in on a Lakewood Home in Joliet IL. Is there any feedback from current home owners regarding the quality of the homes and the community? We seem to be getting a pretty good deal and that makes me nervous. We are moving from the city with two toddlers and I want a home that I can feel good about staying in for a long time. We dont want to make the wrong decision....ANY ADVICE?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by first timer homebuyer View Post
We are getting ready to put an offer in on a Lakewood Home in Joliet IL. Is there any feedback from current home owners regarding the quality of the homes and the community? We seem to be getting a pretty good deal and that makes me nervous. We are moving from the city with two toddlers and I want a home that I can feel good about staying in for a long time. We dont want to make the wrong decision....ANY ADVICE?
We looked at Lakewood homes when they were basically in their first few phases in that area. We fell in love with one, which was selling at the height of the market for $280K, now it's probably worth $180-$200K. The siding does look a little worn and faded only after a few years (4-6), but it all boils down to "you get what you pay for".

I wish I could afford a full-brick or brick-faced home in neighborhoods like Naperville or Downers Grove, but not all of us are that rich, so we bought near the Lakewood Falls area at a good price as well, and we will just have to keep up with the homes maintenance and fix things that break. You may be able to get more home for your money in Plainfield, as the market is in your favor right now.

Regarding the one you are deciding on now, does your heart feel it may make a good home to you and your family? Don't just think about so-called quality, affordability (price), but also how you feel about living in it. Someone posted here before that it's not really about the market conditions, but how much you're willing to pay for the home that fits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs