Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times

Advertisements

I was not born and raised in EP, like many of the residents seem to be. But I found myself moving here nearly 10 years ago and I'm happy with the choice. I moved here for the housing stock, the proximity to Oak Park, Forest Park and River Forest; all towns that I frequent, as well as the proximity to Oak Brook and downtown Chicago. I travel and like EP's proximity to both O'Hare and Midway. Close enough to get to either airport in under 30 minutes, but not subjected to the noise of flight patterns. I also like to go into the city and can get to Bucktown pretty quickly down North Avenue or downtown via the Metra in EP, Green Line in Oak Park or North Avenue and Elston and then cutting over when driving. It's really a very convenient place to live. I live on the South end of town and can walk to restaurants easily. I can also walk to my dentist, salon and doctor and have am close to both a CVS and Walgreen's, which is open 24/7. I don't dislike River Grove; but I do like the look of EP better and prefer it's proximity to River Forest and Oak Park; at least on the south end where I live. I have noticed some demographic shifts in the last 10 years, but nothing drastic. I have never been a victim of crime and my car which is parked outside has never been vandalized even though I do get careless and have left shopping bags and things in open view in the backseat before. I don't expect a suburb within a huge metropolitan area to be crime free anyways. I will take that risk for the convenience of where I live. I don't know if I'll live here forever. There aren't many other suburbs that I would consider except for Oak Park or some of the awesome condos along Lake Street just west of Harlem on Lake Street in River Forest. I drive a lot for my job and don't want to have to drive much after work or on weekends. I can ride my bike to some cool bars in Forest Park or take a cheap taxi and not worry about driving at all. I love that. Not that I'm a lush, but 2 drinks will get you a DUI in some cases. I could go on and on, but will leave it at that. Happy with my decision and would recommend the area to other like-minded people who want a somewhat urban feel without spending the money to live in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I was not born and raised in EP, like many of the residents seem to be. But I found myself moving here nearly 10 years ago and I'm happy with the choice. I moved here for the housing stock, the proximity to Oak Park, Forest Park and River Forest; all towns that I frequent, as well as the proximity to Oak Brook and downtown Chicago. I travel and like EP's proximity to both O'Hare and Midway. Close enough to get to either airport in under 30 minutes, but not subjected to the noise of flight patterns. I also like to go into the city and can get to Bucktown pretty quickly down North Avenue or downtown via the Metra in EP, Green Line in Oak Park or North Avenue and Elston and then cutting over when driving. It's really a very convenient place to live. I live on the South end of town and can walk to restaurants easily. I can also walk to my dentist, salon and doctor and have am close to both a CVS and Walgreen's, which is open 24/7. I don't dislike River Grove; but I do like the look of EP better and prefer it's proximity to River Forest and Oak Park; at least on the south end where I live. I have noticed some demographic shifts in the last 10 years, but nothing drastic. I have never been a victim of crime and my car which is parked outside has never been vandalized even though I do get careless and have left shopping bags and things in open view in the backseat before. I don't expect a suburb within a huge metropolitan area to be crime free anyways. I will take that risk for the convenience of where I live. I don't know if I'll live here forever. There aren't many other suburbs that I would consider except for Oak Park or some of the awesome condos along Lake Street just west of Harlem on Lake Street in River Forest. I drive a lot for my job and don't want to have to drive much after work or on weekends. I can ride my bike to some cool bars in Forest Park or take a cheap taxi and not worry about driving at all. I love that. Not that I'm a lush, but 2 drinks will get you a DUI in some cases. I could go on and on, but will leave it at that. Happy with my decision and would recommend the area to other like-minded people who want a somewhat urban feel without spending the money to live in the city.
good post- glad you are happy with the town.I also live on the south end of town and when the weather is nice, my family and I walk to the strip of restaraunts on North Ave. including Massa,Inara Sushi, and Spizzico.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrl015 View Post
I am in TOTAL agreement with you on your quote. I am offended and shocked to be hearing that BERWYN of all places is better than river grove or elmwood park! I have lived in river grove my whole life and half of my friends live in Elmwood park. Berwyn CANNOT compare to these two towns and never will. The nightlife in both the summer and winter are great and just because the lawns are well kept and houses look tidy, people always have assumed that it must be "italian runned" Please, the majority of people living in these two towns are primarily of european decent...at least now. I love my area and agree that LOVINLIFE is SOOO wrong!
The 2005-2007 census sample status was just released in December,2008 and is within 90% accuracy. The Elmwood park census for this period stated that Italians were still the highest percentage of one group in this town with 27%, Polish was 21%, hispanice made up17%, and Germans and Irish were 4th and 5th in largest groups in E.P.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrl015 View Post
I am in TOTAL agreement with you on your quote. I am offended and shocked to be hearing that BERWYN of all places is better than river grove or elmwood park! I have lived in river grove my whole life and half of my friends live in Elmwood park. Berwyn CANNOT compare to these two towns and never will. The nightlife in both the summer and winter are great and just because the lawns are well kept and houses look tidy, people always have assumed that it must be "italian runned" Please, the majority of people living in these two towns are primarily of european decent...at least now. I love my area and agree that LOVINLIFE is SOOO wrong!
Last I checked, Italians were of European decent.Your post makes little sense.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
FiFYI, the last census to be posted in 2000, lists Elmwood Park as having the most Italian Americans in Illinois-with over 25%
I believe it. Elmwood Park oozes Italian-ness. A good friend of mine grew up in River Grove, and she's as Italian as they come (and she moved back there recently). She also hates Oak Park even though she's a liberal, so it's trained into you guys at a young age in that area.

Anyway, Armand's is calling me. I may have to make a trip out there this weekend.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I believe it. Elmwood Park oozes Italian-ness. A good friend of mine grew up in River Grove, and she's as Italian as they come (and she moved back there recently). She also hates Oak Park even though she's a liberal, so it's trained into you guys at a young age in that area.

Anyway, Armand's is calling me. I may have to make a trip out there this weekend.
Have fun at Armands-hope no Italian oozes too much of his/her Italian-ness on you.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

Its funny that Oak Park and Elmwood Park are located across the street from each other-with North Ave. as the divider. These two towns could not be any different. One town embraces diversity- the other historically wanted their neighborhood to stay Italian-or at least White Americans. One town is extremely liberal and democratic- the other extremely republican and conservative- however I believe Obama did win in E.P. this year. One town embraces gays and interracial dating- the other- well lets just say E.P. really doesnt accept this stuff too much. I believe E.P.s crime rate is lower. We used to laugh as kids when we would all end up at a late night diner on North Ave. in River Forest called Gossage Grill. THe Elmwood Park and Galewood kids would constantly be fighting with the Oak Park and River Forest kids. We used to think that there was something in the water in oak Park and River Forest that made these kids so different. WE would be dressed neat, with nice clothes and nice cars, after a night out and these rich Oak Park and River Forest kids would walk in this diner with their hair all messy, holes in jeans-some looked like wanna be hippies with their tie-dye shirts and pierced lips. Some appeared that they had not showered in weeks and their cars looked as if they never entered a car wash. Night and Day from these areas. Naturally, we hated each other and still some from each town still do not like the other.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
hope no Italian oozes too much of his/her Italian-ness on you.
I hope they do. I love Italians. Why else would you go to Armand's? To find "Joey the Clown" Lombardo? As I mentioned, I am friends with a few of you Elmwood Parkers and River Grovians. I think both towns are great, unique places.

I'll be at Armand's within the month. See you there.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Too bad Horwath's on Harlem is not around anymore.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Too bad Horwath's on Harlem is not around anymore.
Horwaths was our familys favorite- loved the oysters rockefeller and the shrimp horwath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs