Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 1,888 times

Advertisements

Must leave Chicago Public Schools. I can move anywhere, I’m just going to rent. My child has development delays. Looking at New Trier, but would like more diversity plus I fear my child may get lost in that big school. I have heard New Trier is competitive but that won’t effect my son. Also looking at OakParkRiverForest because I do have to be at my office a few times a month in Wicker Park so taking the green line in might be good. Any suggestions what may be the better school choice or are there other choices perhaps Evanston? Skokie?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 12:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCheeseRedWine View Post
Must leave Chicago Public Schools. I can move anywhere, I’m just going to rent. My child has development delays. Looking at New Trier, but would like more diversity plus I fear my child may get lost in that big school. I have heard New Trier is competitive but that won’t effect my son. Also looking at OakParkRiverForest because I do have to be at my office a few times a month in Wicker Park so taking the green line in might be good. Any suggestions what may be the better school choice or are there other choices perhaps Evanston? Skokie?
I have no first-hand experience with special education. However, I do have a friend that works in special education at Evanston/Skokie School District 65. She and her wife also live in the community, send their children to the public schools, and speak very well of the system. My perception is that Evanston's special education program offerings are simply more extensive than New Trier's. Evanston has an entire elementary school that is dedicated to the most demanding special ed cases. New Trier's school districts do not have something so special. I attended public schools in Evanston and New Trier High School for part of my education. I have zero familiarity with OPRF.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:52 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
OP, I suspect a lot of feedback will be anecdotal, so my apologies in advance as mine most certainly is...

But, we do have friends who teach (and live) in the District 214/Hersey district Special Programs in Arlington Heights. As we're told, it was and still is kind of a pioneer for Specialized Learning within public education in IL. Very selective in who they bring in as faculty and staff to support these programs.

https://www.d214.org/district-depart...Upward%20Bound

The program is designed to build a sense of community and purpose, both in and out of the classroom. They do get very granular with specific needs, and build a hyper-focused curriculum down to the individual.

I'd probabaly rather live in Evanston or Oak Park, but AH is a great area too. If you're accustomed to city living, stay close to downtown Arlington Heights.. Plenty walkable, a lot going on. Good luck and all the best.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:37 AM

196 posts, read 303,001 times
Further south/west of areas already mentioned, Wheaton Dist 200 and Naperville's Dist 203/204 are also top of the game.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
IPSD 204 is a cut above even 203. Aurora is diverse - could move to the Waubonsie Valley range.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:45 AM

93 posts, read 90,909 times
I don’t know about ETHS, but I would avoid Evanston for K-8. As in CPS, it’s possible to have needs met, and some kids are really well served. But the outcome in d65 depends a lot on luck, and serious parent advocacy. The other elementary districts on the northshore/Northbrook/Deerfield/Northfield don’t wait for kids to fail academically, or start anti-social behavior, to address learning differences.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino4401 View Post
I don’t know about ETHS, but I would avoid Evanston for K-8. As in CPS, it’s possible to have needs met, and some kids are really well served. But the outcome in d65 depends a lot on luck, and serious parent advocacy. The other elementary districts on the northshore/Northbrook/Deerfield/Northfield don’t wait for kids to fail academically, or start anti-social behavior, to address learning differences.
Why are you under this impression? Do you have first-hand experience, because this does not resemble my personal experience or the experience of the vast majority of people that I know.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Second graph:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html

White/wealthier students in Evanston, largely due to socioeconomic status, perform exceedingly well compared to the National average. So, after digesting the data, you can assume that white students in Evanston will do just as well, if not better, than those in competing north shore districts. So, I'm not sure if this proves or negates your point, but the same child will likely do just as well in Evanston as they will in Northbrook or Wilmette.

However, and this is merely speculation, because of a larger % of disadvantaged students, I would/could understand how Evanston's specialized programs fight for budget/mindshare compared to other districts in the area. But, only those that sent children with cognitive or physical issues could give us first hand experience.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:57 PM

93 posts, read 90,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Why are you under this impression? Do you have first-hand experience, because this does not resemble my personal experience or the experience of the vast majority of people that I know.
The special-needs advocacy group in Evanston, CASE, helps Evanston families.

Last edited by Rhino4401; 09-03-2020 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
The special-needs advocacy group in Evanston, CASE, helps Evanston families.
What is your point? I've never heard of CASE, but the presence of a not-for-profit dedicated to improving education for special needs students seems like a positive thing.

Evanston's school districts are very well-funded and property values and spending per pupil are among the very highest in the State of Illinois. Comparing it to CPS is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs