Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:55 AM

327 posts, read 968,417 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to the Naperville Public Library once again! Illinois (Chicago area) has some of the most highly rated library systems in the country and that speaks volumes on the priorities of those who reside in Chicago and surrounding suburbs. My own library system, Johnson County Library (Kansas) is also very highly rated of which I am very proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Of course I cant speak for the whole town, but all one has to do is sit in their little town square and people-watch for awhile. Be prepared to stare into nostrils as a lot of people there walk with their noses so high in the air that its amazing they can see where theyre going.

I spend lots of time in LF (on my way up this morning in fact), but have never seen what you describe. Maybe you are misinterpreting what you see. I would never call some one snobby based on how they walk.

Again. I don't live there, but know many people there. And have casually met lots more through two separate groups. Wide spectrum.

the snobbiest people I have met have have been those who were trying to prove something.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I spend lots of time in LF (on my way up this morning in fact), but have never seen what you describe. Maybe you are misinterpreting what you see. I would never call some one snobby based on how they walk.

Again. I don't live there, but know many people there. And have casually met lots more through two separate groups. Wide spectrum.

the snobbiest people I have met have have been those who were trying to prove something.
Correct, the snobbiest are those who are most insecure and have something to prove (or so they think) which is why it's funny that anyone from Naperville does act snobbish- what exactly do they think they have to be snobby about? But I think what some are trying to say is that many from Naperville are disillusioned into thinking they have "made it" because they live there as they were put on a "pedistal" of sorts by their "ratings" of late, library included. Please. Lets all remember their have been many arguements on this forum from Naperville residents actually thinking they are equal or better- (now that's funny) to places like Winnetka, Lake Forest, Glencoe, Wilmette, and even Hinsdale of the area. And this is just to name a few among many more affluent areas. I dont' know if people in Lake Forest walk with their noses in the air but at least if they do, it's for reason.

I know, I know, a little Naperville "bashing" for the month, but come on, people, we all know that many other affluant suburbs don't need a write-up to be considered "better" than others and anyone who has lived in the Chicago area for a long time knows what I mean by this. The truth is, if anyone has reason to be snobs, it's the long time wealth that comes generation after generation on the North Shore. At least we all know why they are snobbish. They've earned it. I laugh every time I hear someone say "we live in Naperville" with that tone, as if we are all supposed to say "WOW, you must be rich, and how impressive!" If we don't say it outloud, many think that is what is going through our minds when informed of such.

OK, I'm done. Sorry if I offended anyone from "Naperville, as I'm sure those from there that read this forum are NOT the ones pretending to be snobbish! It's a Great place, great downtown and now great libraries. Congrats for that award too! We're happy for you, really.

PS- I think the title of this thread is a little exagerated and arrogant. Maybe that's where the "snobbish impression" comes from. #1 in library should have been in the title. This hardly makes it #1 all around. Many communities get #1 ratings for all sorts of things, we just don't boast about it continuously on forums like this.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
which is why it's funny that anyone from Naperville does act snobbish- what exactly do they think they have to be snobby about?
What bullcrap. Honestly. I lived in Naperville and never ONCE thought I was better than anyone, and I am FAR from being a snob, same for my friends who still live there. Everyone Ive met who lives in Naperville has never said it the way you imply they do. When I ask where they live its just a simple "Naperville" response, nothing more, nothing less. If anything, its a matter of civic pride, which Naperville has TONS of, and for good reason! Dont confuse civic pride for snobbery. Snobs are the single doctors in Lake Forest who buy 12 bedroom homes for no reason other than to impress people. Whatever.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Most Napervillains (he he) that I've known have been very normal, well-adjusted middle-class types. Of course they lived in the Naperville of the 70s-early 90s, so this was prior to all of the Naperville hype.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What bullcrap. Honestly. I lived in Naperville and never ONCE thought I was better than anyone, and I am FAR from being a snob, same for my friends who still live there. Everyone Ive met who lives in Naperville has never said it the way you imply they do. When I ask where they live its just a simple "Naperville" response, nothing more, nothing less. If anything, its a matter of civic pride, which Naperville has TONS of, and for good reason! Dont confuse civic pride for snobbery. Snobs are the single doctors in Lake Forest who buy 12 bedroom homes for no reason other than to impress people. Whatever.
Doctors really can't afford 12 bedroom houses. Very few doctors can afford to live in LF anyway. Very few 12 bedroom houses in LF anyway. Your stereotype is about 20 years out of date. And it is a stereotype.

I find it interesting that you defend Naperville where you lived, but keep harping on LF as a home to snobs when you only give the example of good posture while walking across Market Square.

If you had some story about living in LF and being treated rudely, I'd be more convinced. People shouldn't judge Naperville residents by stereotypes and they shouldn't do it to LF residents either.

BTW - I don't live in LF, but I am there very often and have never encountered any sort of mass snobbery. Really the worst snob I every met in Chicagoland was from Glenview. But I wouldn't condemn all of Glenview for one moron.

People who have arrived usually are not snobby, its the one's that are striving.

Last edited by Anthera; 10-14-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Most Napervillains (he he) that I've known have been very normal, well-adjusted middle-class types. Of course they lived in the Naperville of the 70s-early 90s, so this was prior to all of the Naperville hype.
Really, most people who live anywhere are normal. Where ever anyone lives there will be some weirdos who think they are better than others. Some people think their doublewide trailer makes them more important than the family with the single wide. Its a small percentage of every community.

Now if you look at any community, prejudging that it is full of snobs, you will always find something to back up your theory, be it real or perceived.

The people I've known from Naperville (a small number)were all very nice, some perhaps a bit "enthused" about their citiy's growing reputation, but I though it was rather sweet. Civic pride.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Doctors really can't afford 12 bedroom houses. Very few doctors can afford to live in LF anyway. Very few 12 bedroom houses in LF anyway. Your stereotype is about 20 years out of date. And it is a stereotype.

I find it interesting that you defend Naperville where you lived, but keep harping on LF as a home to snobs when you only give the example of good posture while walking across Market Square.

If you had some story about living in LF and being treated rudely, I'd be more convinced. People shouldn't judge Naperville residents by stereotypes and they shouldn't do it to LF residents either.

BTW - I don't live in LF, but I am there very often and have never encountered any sort of mass snobbery. Really the worst snob I every met in Chicagoland was from Glenview. But I wouldn't condemn all of Glenview for one moron.

People who have arrived usually are not snobby, its the one's that are striving.
Funny you mention stereotypes. Every other post about Naperville on this board is negative, and Im frickin tired of it. Did you see the stereotype about Naperville that I quoted? I stereotyped LF and bam, get crap back about it. Just proving a point...

Anyways, yes, some doctors can afford 12 bedroom homes. Just check out Dr. Ewell's place in St. Charles sometime. Theres no need for a home that big, its just a show. Same for all those mega-monster homes in South Barrington. My buddy installs hardwood floors and recently did a home in South Barrington that had an indoor, 2 lane bowling alley (with heated floors). The guy lives alone and has a monster house. Thats snobbish. Puuuuuure snob.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Funny you mention stereotypes. Every other post about Naperville on this board is negative, and Im frickin tired of it. Did you see the stereotype about Naperville that I quoted? I stereotyped LF and bam, get crap back about it. Just proving a point...

Anyways, yes, some doctors can afford 12 bedroom homes. Just check out Dr. Ewell's place in St. Charles sometime. Theres no need for a home that big, its just a show. Same for all those mega-monster homes in South Barrington. My buddy installs hardwood floors and recently did a home in South Barrington that had an indoor, 2 lane bowling alley (with heated floors). The guy lives alone and has a monster house. Thats snobbish. Puuuuuure snob.
But a 12 bedroom house in St. Charles isn't a 12 bedroom house in LF. Most doctors don't make the type of money that financial types do. Before managed care, most doctors were very very well paid, now they are simply well paid(given the insane years in training, thats debatable).

I don't know what your point was. I don't live in LF and I certainly don't live in Naperville. I was calling you to task for engaging in stereotypes when you are criticizing others for the same thing.

I dislike monster houses too. But they're not hurting me personally. But I wouldn't call flashiness the same thing as snobbery. Its just new money silliness. But if someone wants a big house they're not being a snob unless they act in a way that shows they think they're better than others because they have a big house. If owning a big house makes someone happy, let them be happy.

I know plenty of people with big houses who are very down to earth, and some snobs who live in little ones.

I've never said anything negative about Naperville. Its a nice place. Not my cup of tea, but so what?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Same for all those mega-monster homes in South Barrington. My buddy installs hardwood floors and recently did a home in South Barrington that had an indoor, 2 lane bowling alley (with heated floors). The guy lives alone and has a monster house. Thats snobbish. Puuuuuure snob.
I thought a snob is defined by one's behaviour towards other people. Are they polite, respectful and courteous to others? One's house size, wealth and material possesions alone are not true indicator's of someone being a snob. Indicator's of having more money than most 3rd world countries perhaps. Or perhaps an indicator of someone being stupid with their money and not investing enough for retirement?

Now a possible explanation on the Naperville backlash. It IS a nice town. But there are some who perceive it is an "end all and be all" of all Chicagoland towns. I think this persona comes from some people who relocate from out of state based on magazine rankings. Rankings are helpful, but when someone says Naperville is the greatest town around and has not experienced other Chicagoland towns it frosts me. I think it is narrow-minded. Some people use the word snob to describe narrow-mindedness. So this is an attempt at an explanation why some people bash Naperville and NOT MEANT IN ANY WAY TO BE CRITICAL OF NAPERVILLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs