Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any forumers on here who board their horse at a stable or take lessons at a stable. If so, where do you go? I was wondering, as a friend of mine in Long Grove wanted to get his daughter started with lessons and eventually buy her a horse of her own, and board it at the same stable.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
What a lucky kid! I started riding as an adult and I am in awe of the kids who started young. I ride in Kane Co, so don't know the Long Grove horse scene at all, but a good place to start would be this SaddlersRow | Stable Directory (http://www.saddlersrow.com/stables/ - broken link) and this Horse Stables - Midwest Horse Stables Directory - Midwest, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana

Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Great help, thanks! Anywhere I can get reviews of these barns?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:29 PM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
My daughter has been riding for 13 years - I highly recommend the Arab breed. She got her first Arab when she was 9 - and informed me 'if he was a man, I'd marry him'. They've been in love ever since. Most kids give it up when they go to college - but she just took her horses (we have 4 now) with her. I would recommend this site:
Home of the Arabian Horse Association

I know there is a trainer in northern Illinois - John White I believe who shows at a lot of the same shows we're at. I would recommend him. Wish I could give you more specific information but I'm sure you can get is from AHA or USEF websites.

Horses are great for kids. They learn more than just riding - they learn trust, accountability, responsibility, teamwork and self-esteem.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 AM

They might want to go to Saddler's Row in Palatine or Barrington Saddlery and ask people there. I started riding through my Park District and that barn has been a pretty good choice for the first few years, but it's in Elgin. I know Palatine has a Park District owned stable. I don't know if they have considered style of riding, but that will certainly make a difference. I ride hunt seat which is the one where you learn to jump. When you do it right, it feels like flying. There's also dressage, western, saddleseat, etc. There is a barn in Barrington called Flying Dutchman which teaches dressage, which is really the core of all the english riding disciplines. I met a woman who teaches there named Christy and really liked her philosophy. She seems like she'd be a great teacher, so you could check with her.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Good info. Anywhere I can get ratings?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM

Not that I've seen and I have looked. I really think they'd be best off at this point visiting a few that teach the style of riding she is interested in and watching some lessons to see if she clicks with the trainer.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:14 AM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
It's a good idea to go visit the stables. Also good to try to find one that has several other kids in the same age group for his daughter to pal around the barn with. The atmosphere at 'the barn' will have a lot to do with how much she enjoys hanging out there. If she likes it and gets into the horse show scene - it's important which barn you're from and great to have your own little support group when you're in the show ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs