Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM

223 posts, read 662,452 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about Naperville -- and while it certainly sounds like there is a lot that's attractive to people -- particularly families with kids -- I'm trying to understand the reality about some of the so-called downsides of Naperville -- namely 1) traffic, 2) lack of parking at the train, 3) the subdivision-like and at-times corporate feel the town, etc. I'm also curious about the restaurant scene and whether it's a lot of chain restaurants or outposts of Chicago restaurants and what it's like trying to eat at one on a weekend (I've gotten the sense that restaurants are very crowded, and I read somewhere here something to the effect of it also being very hard to get a babysitter on a weekend night)...If I eventually consider Naperville for my family, I want to go in eyes wide open, and I continue to get the sense that the town itself is overly crowded, more so than the typical suburb. I'd also like to hear more about the downtown. They've done a nice job with it but it's a lot of chain stores, and for a town of Naperville's size, the downtown doesn't seem that big to me... but maybe I'm missing something?? I'd love to hear from people who moved there and later left or ruled it out to due to one of the above reasons or something else. Quite frankly, I really need to get a better understanding of the supposed negatives of Naperville through the eyes of people who have experienced them first-hand. Of course, if these negatives totally pale in comparison to the advantages of living in Naperville, I'd love to hear those perspectives, too. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Where are you moving from? Sounds like youre pretty familiar with the town already! And yes, there are many chain restaurants and stores in town, but the same can be said for ANYWHERE, even Chicago.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 AM

223 posts, read 662,452 times
I'm in a close-in suburb right now, but I grew up in a town of over 100,000 -- like Naperville. However, there were not traffic issues or tons of subdivisions comprising the town, so for me, I wouldn't normally expect all these issues if a larger town is laid out well. I'm just trying to separate fact from fiction. The above in my original post is all impression -- but I'd love to hear first-hand experiences. Personally, if I were to move 45 mins outside of Chicago to Naperville, my expectation would be that it wouldn't have big-city problems like horrible gridlock.... Having all the chains available isn't a bad thing, but I'm also curious what sorts of mom-and-pop stores or restaurants there are, as these add character. Any insights are welcome. thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
For the most part, I'd say there is some truth in your assumptions.

Depending where you're at in Naperville, traffic can be bad. I spent a good number of years in south Naperville; I remember how frustrating it was to drive from 95th and 59 to the mall, which was maybe 4 miles. Some days, it would take 20 minutes or so just to get to the mall parking lot on a weekend.

As far as eating out, it can be difficult on the weekends. Many people from surrounding suburbs come to enjoy the nightlife and restaurants in Naperville, so traffic and seating wait times will increase.

Looking back on my time spent in Naperville, I would assess it as your average upper middle class suburb. I think the real unique qualities that add to it would be the riverwalk and the quarry swimming pool. Downtown Naperville is pretty charming, but the rest of the town seems to be your average suburb.

Frankly, I see Naperville as a good option for one thing: education. I've said it in other threads- I feel like I got an excellent education at Neuqua Valley (D204) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My mom moved us from an inner-ring suburb to Naperville, further away from all of our family on the promise of good education.

OP, you didn't tell us exactly what you were looking for in a suburb. Your comment of sterility and a corporate feel are not far off in my opinion, but others may take a different stance on that. With the exception of downtown and the few neighborhoods close to downtown, I feel like it is the poster child for stoic, average life.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Unfortunately, I can't give a whole lot of negatives. We moved in August and really enjoy the city. Actually, the difficult decision is that when we moved here my wife said she wanted to move somewhere warm in a couple of years, but now says she thinks she wants to stay in Naperville. She is now very conflicted. She said she wants to move Naperville to a warmer state.

-I never have parking problems at Rt 59, but I take either the 6:57 or 7:17 train into Chicago.
-There are a lot of restaurants that started in Chicago
-Tons of chain stores on Rt 59
-My boss lives in Winfield and said he was in downtown Naperville this weekend and was complaining about traffic & parking, but I don't seem to have the same problem...I may be willing to walk a little further than he is. I also never drive the streets through downtown (Jefferson, etc), besides Washington. I park before I get into the main downtown (further up Jefferson), or in a lot around there.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Not to be a “search Nazi” but there are tons of threads on Naperville here that address all aspects of the community, including restaurants and traffic. Also, the questions you ask are very subjective – “corporate feel,” a “lot of chain restaurants,” etc. You’re likely to get 10 different answers from 10 different posters! People just have different tolerances and perspectives on these sorts of things.

Why not just go and experience it for yourself? Spend a weekend there. Go to the restaurants and hang around in their downtown. Drive through it during rush hour. Heck, take the Metra there from downtown after work one day. It isn’t like you’re relocating from Pittsburgh. Sounds like you’re pretty close to it.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Unfortunately, I can't give a whole lot of negatives. We moved in August and really enjoy the city. Actually, the difficult decision is that when we moved here my wife said she wanted to move somewhere warm in a couple of years, but now says she thinks she wants to stay in Naperville. She is now very conflicted. She said she wants to move Naperville to a warmer state.

-I never have parking problems at Rt 59, but I take either the 6:57 or 7:17 train into Chicago.
-There are a lot of restaurants that started in Chicago
-Tons of chain stores on Rt 59
-My boss lives in Winfield and said he was in downtown Naperville this weekend and was complaining about traffic & parking, but I don't seem to have the same problem...I may be willing to walk a little further than he is. I also never drive the streets through downtown (Jefferson, etc), besides Washington. I park before I get into the main downtown (further up Jefferson), or in a lot around there.
Ever try Sugarland TX or Katy TX-especially Cinco Ranch? Really, it's not that difficult to replicate the "NAperville" (or upper-middle class suburban) experience in many other locations throughout the USA. Just use the forum.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ever try Sugarland TX or Katy TX-especially Cinco Ranch? Really, it's not that difficult to replicate the "NAperville" (or upper-middle class suburban) experience in many other locations throughout the USA. Just use the forum.
Yeah, we have lived in or visited a number of different "upper-middle class suburban" places in the country, but for some reason Naperville has given us the best vibe so far...maybe it is a bit of luck on location for us, but for 9 months I expect to rarely use a car Mon-Thurs (this worked Aug-Nov). I can bike to the train station, we are ~2 miles from downtown, and there are lots of outside activities really close to our subdivision. Or, it may be the community feel we have gotten from our subdivision, it is socially active and family friendly, so maybe we got lucky.

I know this part is more common, but one thing I like about Naperville is the difference in feel from downtown to over by rte 59. The mix of the older, quaint downtown and the conveniences of every store imaginable on rte 59. We live between the two, so we have really easy access to both and visit both parts regularly.

I know Sugarland, it is nice.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP View Post
I'm in a close-in suburb right now, but I grew up in a town of over 100,000 -- like Naperville. However, there were not traffic issues or tons of subdivisions comprising the town, so for me, I wouldn't normally expect all these issues if a larger town is laid out well. I'm just trying to separate fact from fiction. The above in my original post is all impression -- but I'd love to hear first-hand experiences. Personally, if I were to move 45 mins outside of Chicago to Naperville, my expectation would be that it wouldn't have big-city problems like horrible gridlock.... Having all the chains available isn't a bad thing, but I'm also curious what sorts of mom-and-pop stores or restaurants there are, as these add character. Any insights are welcome. thanks.
Congestion can be very bad at Naperville, but really only in a few areas. Stay away from Rt. 59 south of I-88 all the way to 95th during rush hour, same for Ogden between Rt. 59 and around Naperville Rd. Other than that, most roads around town move along pretty well. I used to live right near Rt. 59 and North Aurora Rd, in the thick of it all. Traffic was a royal pain at times, but once I got East of 59, I never really had any problems. Downtown can suck (traffic wise) on the summer weekends at night, but is never overly-bad.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 71,821 times
They key to Naperville is location. The people in south and south west Naperville (1/2 the population) have a traffic problem because they all need to go north or north east in the morning to get to the downtown, the train station, I88 and I355. In the evening they repeat in the opposite direction. You get ALOT more home for your money in the south and south west neighborhoods, so you'll need to decide what is important to you and your family.

People who live in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Naperville actually do walk or ride their bikes to the train station and do walk to dinner, the library, the concerts in the park, etc. On 1/2 days the kids who go to Washington Jr. High, NCHS & NNHS have lunch in downtown Naperville and then walk home with their friends. In the summer they ride their bikes/walk/or skateboard to Centennial Beach, the sand volleyball courts and the skate park. The kids on the south side don't really get to use these facilities.

If you are coming from the city you'll laugh at what everyone calls a "parking problem" in downtown Naperville. The most you'll have to walk from your parking spot is 2 blocks and we are not talking city blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs