Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,867 times

Advertisements

Hello All

We are contemplating a career move to Chicago but one of the very big deciding factors will be quality of life. Housing obviously plays a big role. I have read through many of the threads on here but I am not really finding the info I am looking for.

Here's the deal - my wife and I are in our early 30s with a daughter less then 1-year old. My wife stays at home and I would be working downtown making roughly $110-$120K per year. We would want a house in a safe neighborhood with other young families. But I don't want more then a 30-40 minute commute to the office.

Addiitonally, wherever I live I want to be able to get in my car on Saturday and drive to Target or the Mall. I'd like my wife to be able to take our daughter to a safe park in the summer. At the same time, If I have tickets to a baseball game or if friends want to go shopping on Michigan Avenue, I would like to be able to do that without driving an hour into the city.

Where can I get a house with a deck and a front lawn and feel safe and go to Chilis for dinner while also getting on a train at 7:15 and be in my office by 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
where is your wife's office? the location of the closest metra station is going to have a big impact on which line you want to live close to. If you're wife is working in the north loop then it would be a bad idea to live close to the rock island metra because she will be in for a mighty cold and long walk come winter.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,867 times
My wife stays at home so that is not a problem. I want her to feel sfe in our home and be able to take our child to the park, etc. I have looked at Naperville and Plainville, but it seems like those are so far away from downtown (wacker) where I would work. I don't want to leave work at 5:30 and not get home until 7.....

I guess maybe I need to research the train systems some more. Sounds like that will determine where I live.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
There are direct metra trains from naperville to downtown that will get you down there in 35-40 minutes. Plainfield is a different story, not a lot of good public transportation options from there and the commute is brutal.

Metra - Welcome to Metra

Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
You are in luck since your office is on Wacker Dr. No matter which metra line you want to stay close to, they all depot within 5-20 miinutes of all points on Wacker Drive

Ogilive and Union Station depot in the west loop on South Wacker drive
Lasalle St Station depots in the south loop 2 blocks east of South Wacker drive
Metra Electric and South Shore Depot in the loop on East Wacker Drive

My biased opinion for best place to live is Beverly/Morgan Park on the SW side of Chicago, It was developed as a summer town for the Chicago elite with easy access to downtown via rail (depots at Metra Lasalle St Station, South Loop). It is part of the nations largest historic district so all the homes from cottages to villas that were built during the turn of the century still stand in all their glory with no fear of someone tearing them down to build McMansions. The towns were annexed into the city about 100 years ago but still have an old world suburb feel. The area is home to some of the best schools in Chicago, both public and private, easy access to downtown, suburban shopping centers and to Indiana to fill up your car or to get away for the weekend.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 AM

62 posts, read 224,790 times
Evanston meets all of your criteria, even the Chilis!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 PM

87 posts, read 415,521 times
Oak Park is another option. It's a VERY family-friendly community, lots of parks and summertime concerts and fests, depending on where you move you're within walking distance to 2 shopping/eating districts. Great schools once your little one starts. You have access to 3 options for transportation that will get you downtown in 15-30 minutes. Driving downtown is a straight shot on one highway. Downtown Oak Park offers a lot, many of the big name stores and restaurants, and you're close to Oak Brook which has a great mall. You might want to look into Oak Brook too.

Also, if you're open to actually living in the city, you should check out the "South Loop" area, it's becoming quite popular with everyone (couples, families, retirees, etc.). Below is a link to a very informative feature article that was in Chicago Magazine.

South Loop Rising - Chicago Magazine - June 2007 - Chicago

Here's a link to Oak Park's website: Welcome to the Village of Oak Park

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM

59 posts, read 248,696 times
You must look at the North shore. $110k-$120k depending on your down payment will get you a modest but very nice home. If you are in the $400-$500 price range,look at Buffalo Grove area. School Dist #125 in BG along with New Trier in the North Shore. Are rated as some of the best school districts in the Country. When looking at the North Shore, don't get intimidated by the home prices. If you look hard enough, You can find some very affordable homes. Keep in mind the closer you get to the City. The taxes are higher, and the homes sq ft and lot size shrink. DRASTICALLY!
Search homes on realtor.com
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs