Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,035,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Twist View Post
Election Judge Arrested at Polling Place | NBC Chicago

"Chicago authorities arrested an election judge Tuesday evening for allegedly repeatedly denying provisional ballots from voters."

The article doesn't state it, but last night I heard on the news that the judge was targeting Democratic voters. You might have a point there.

The 20th ward is definitely a republican stronghold with the neighborhoods of Woodlawn, Park Manor, Washington Park, Englewood, New City, and Back of the Yards.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 18,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post

The 20th ward is definitely a republican stronghold with the neighborhoods of Woodlawn, Park Manor, Washington Park, Englewood, New City, and Back of the Yards.
Here's the story and the link. You were saying?

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/illinois-goes-to-the-polls-an-election-day-report.html (broken link)

"The judge, a Republican, had been accused by the other judges of preventing other voters from casting provisional ballots for no reason, said James Allen, spokesman for the Chicago Board of Elections."

Last edited by Oliver Twist; 11-03-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I've met Republicans raised in Englewood, not many, but they do exist. Nothing is barring them from becoming election judges. I'm just telling you what I heard on the news yesterday. Take it up with the media.
A provisional ballot is no different than a normal ballot, so unless the election judges were asking those people who required them for whatever reason what party they intended to vote for there is no way to "target" democratic voters.

Your theory would hold more water if you took the angle that since the 20th ward probably voted 80% Democratic, withholding provisional ballots is likely to impact the the dems more than the reps.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Illinois goes to the polls: Election Day report - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/illinois-goes-to-the-polls-an-election-day-report.html - broken link)

"The judge, a Republican, had been accused by the other judges of preventing other voters from casting provisional ballots for no reason, said James Allen, spokesman for the Chicago Board of Elections."
The same thing I said before, it's impossible to target specifc party ballots in a general election. Like the article says they don't go in a scanner, they are sealed in a provisional envelope and put in a dedicated provisional ballot box. They are typically counted over a week later.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
Quote:

Illinois goes to the polls: Election Day report - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/illinois-goes-to-the-polls-an-election-day-report.html - broken link)

I've copied in two other ecellent parts of that report:

After lunch at a downtown sports bar called Winners, Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady arrived to vote at a Protestant church near his home in Bloomington. There was a glitch in Brady's voting when he was given two ballots by mistake. Seconds after he started in the voting booth, Brady said, "Uh oh, I was given two ballots."
One election judge took one of the ballots from Brady and he continued to vote. Another election judge said: "They thought this was Chicago, Bill."

and the second, which I think is even better:
Election judge Anthony Taylor, who is manning a polling location in Woodlawn, called Chicago election officials after a fellow judge showed up for work drunk.
"He clearly had been drinking, and he wasn't doing his job, plain and simple," Taylor said. "He wasn't doing anything, except being drunk and getting in the way."
The drunk judge was relieved this morning, but his wife, who also was a judge at the polling location, had to drive him home, Taylor said.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
and the second, which I think is even better:
Election judge Anthony Taylor, who is manning a polling location in Woodlawn, called Chicago election officials after a fellow judge showed up for work drunk.
"He clearly had been drinking, and he wasn't doing his job, plain and simple," Taylor said. "He wasn't doing anything, except being drunk and getting in the way."
The drunk judge was relieved this morning, but his wife, who also was a judge at the polling location, had to drive him home, Taylor said.
I'd probably need to be drunk as well to man a polling station all day. Corruption and idiocy knows no policitcal boundaries. The best thing we could do for this country is to implement term limits and return to the intention of our founding fathers. A career politician simply shouldn't exist.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
The same thing I said before, it's impossible to target specifc party ballots in a general election. Like the article says they don't go in a scanner, they are sealed in a provisional envelope and put in a dedicated provisional ballot box. They are typically counted over a week later.
IrishTom's stated that Republicans were trying to slow things down at the polling place. I posted a link to a story about a Republican election judge interfering with voters for no apparent reason. Spin this anyway you want it, but the link appears to lend some credibility to IrishTom's assertions.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
IrishTom's stated that Republicans were trying to slow things down at the polling place. I posted a link to a story about a Republican election judge interfering with voters for no apparent reason. Spin this anyway you want it, but the link appears to lend some credibility to IrishTom's assertions.
Unfortunately, that's not at all what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Twist
The article doesn't state it, but last night I heard on the news that the judge was targeting Democratic voters. You might have a point there.
You stated they were specifically targeting Democrats which as I stated isn't possible using provisional ballots in a general election, unless they are using the assumption certain wards vote so heavily dem that if they target everyone, most dems will be affected. I'm most certainly not the one spinning here.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
...The article doesn't state it, but last night I heard on the news that the judge was targeting Democratic voters. You might have a point there.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:

Just because the judge is a Republican judge that does not mean the person is a Republican.

The CBOE has a shortage of Republican judges every year and routinely appoints Democrats and others as Republican judges to comply with the law.

The area where that story is about is a ghetto that is like 98% black and like 98% Democratic. Odds are that judge is actually a Democrat working as a Republican judge to help the CBOE comply with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago