Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm retired and voted at 10 AM. And the challenges were slowing things down considerably even then. The Republicans like to discourage voting; look how they did away with straight ticket voting last time they controlled state govenment. If you don't like my reasoning then you tell me why so many ballots were being challenged, far more than I've ever seen.

I'm well aware that everyone in line gets to vote; (I've voted in every election since 1970, never missed one) that doesn't mean it isn't in the interests of some to discourage voting.

I'm curious what you mean by ballots being challenged, I have never seen that or had it happen to me. Normally, i fill my out and put it in the machine...

Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times
Quote:
I'm retired and voted at 10 AM. And the challenges were slowing things down considerably even then. The Republicans like to discourage voting; look how they did away with straight ticket voting last time they controlled state govenment. If you don't like my reasoning then you tell me why so many ballots were being challenged, far more than I've ever seen.

I'm well aware that everyone in line gets to vote; (I've voted in every election since 1970, never missed one) that doesn't mean it isn't in the interests of some to discourage voting.

Because a substantial portion of the voting public has a hard time tying their shoes, regardless of party affiliation. The logical, non conspiracy answer was the ballot was filled out incorrectly. Really you can do better than that.

And really you think eliminating straight ticket voting was a bad thing? That's odd, I'd prefer people actually have to research candidates on their individual merit and not vote straight party line lemming style.

Last edited by tomcho; 11-02-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Are you really supposed to call 911 with this sort of thing?
Absolutely.

911 is for problems that require immediate assistance. The 911 call center would of course prioritize in-progress violent crimes over electioneering, I am sure.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Because a substantial portion of the voting public has a hard time tying their shoes, regardless of party affiliation. The logical, non conspiracy answer was the ballot was filled out incorrectly. Really you can do better than that.

And really you think eliminating straight ticket voting was a bad thing? That's odd, I'd prefer people actually have to research candidates on their individual merit and not vote straight party line lemming style.

The ballots were challenged before being cast; in effect it the voter being challenged. The challenged voter then filled out some paper work before being allowed to vote. This is what was going on, whether you believe it or not means nothing. You act as though I'm making this up.

Of course eliminating straight party voting was bad; it took away a choice and was done in the interests of a particular political party. If you want people in a democracy to do what you prefer you're in for some disappointments.

A candidate's merit is that they work in my interest. One party works in my interest and the other works against it. Nothing lemminglike involved at all, rather an adult's recognition of politics for what it really is; the means by which conflicting interests cut up the pie.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,195 times
really? you think all 10 or whatever democratic candidates are always working in your best interest? i'm a fairly strong republican and would never thinks that the case on my side.

it didn't take a way a choice at all. it just made people push a couple more buttons.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
really? you think all 10 or whatever democratic candidates are always working in your best interest? . .
Right now it's more a matter of all Republicans working against my interest than all Democrats working for it. I know where the candidates stand on the issues important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
it didn't take a way a choice at all. it just made people push a couple more buttons.
More than a couple. And of course it took away a choice; the choice to simply "Push 10" and so forth; that was a choice. If not define choice. IMO making it harder for the electorate to do what they wish is not a good thing.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times
Quote:

Of course eliminating straight party voting was bad; it took away a choice and was done in the interests of a particular political party. If you want people in a democracy to do what you prefer you're in for some disappointments.

A candidate's merit is that they work in my interest. One party works in my interest and the other works against it. Nothing lemminglike involved at all, rather an adult's recognition of politics for what it really is; the means by which conflicting interests cut up the pie.

Wow...You can still vote straight party if you want, how is that taking away a choice? Anyone that would go into a booth and pull a single lever to vote for an entire party is a lemming, nothing more nothing less.

Now it requires some thought and "skill" is that what you have a problem with?

Never mind, your second paragraph answered my question.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
These guys were all within 30 feet of the polling place. How or to whom do you file a complaint?
Call
The Attorney General's office.
The Chicago Board of Elections.
The Chicago Police Department. (Always know your district's direct phone number)

You might want to be as anonymous as possible about it though.

Maybe call someone alert someone like Walter Jacobson or Pam Zekman.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
...The Republicans like to discourage voting; look how they did away with straight ticket voting last time they controlled state govenment...
Straight ticket voting is a tool of communists and the machine. It needed to be dispatched.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Wow...You can still vote straight party if you want, how is that taking away a choice? Anyone that would go into a booth and pull a single lever to vote for an entire party is a lemming, nothing more nothing less.

Now it requires some thought and "skill" is that what you have a problem with?

I'll thank you to keep a civil tongue in your head. I've been answering your questions seriously but it seems treating you as a man to be taken seriously might be a wasted effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago