Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

400 posts, read 957,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind4 View Post
It's true.

Like I said before, I'm 25, and it's funny (and ironic...) to see people I grew up with who had the best clothes, bicyles, and other things to suddenly pop up in neighborhoods they would have called "ghetto" (out of ignorance) back in high-school, looking like they could only choose their mom's clothes she put away 30 years ago, riding mutilated old bikes that they wouldn't be seen dead on only 10 years prior ( I've been riding old touring bikes since I learned how to do so....).

They're raving about little dive bars and old restaurants in places like Berwyn, Bridgeport and "West Logan Square" (aka Hermosa), places that I was laughed at by them back in the day for growing up in and having relatives in. They're frequenting thrift stores as though they were paid to do so, something I've shopped at my entire life.

They aren't changing the world; they're just exploiting aspects of the average blue-collar worker's way of life back in the 20th century. It's ironic to be average, look poor, and pretend to be thrifty when you grew up with a Lexus and Land Rover in a 4-bedroom suburban house, ya know.
Yeah its weird im 37 and this happened 30 years ago plus with the Yuppies
I grew up in Lincoln Park and I remember
people getting pissed off with yuppies in the Eighties, so Yeah this makes me feel old and yeah this is nothing new. Its just different,
I actually remember being a little pissed off seeing the
new yuppies come in with their fancy beamers and sports cars
and either gutting old building or tearing them down and putting up new ones, that definitely happened with a vengeance during the eighties and nineties on seminary, wrightwood, lincoln etc.....

, but maybe the hipsters are actually living within their means
and have realized that expensive stuff isnt where its at and they are trying out something new. They find the city more interesting, nothing wrong with that either.

Dive bars and weird old restaurants are more interesting than bland suburbia, recycling old bikes and clothes is good within reason.
I have seen some people that look like they are trying to hard for sure.
And while I like old stuff and dive bars and such, Im told too old to be a hispster, I also was born and raised in Chicago but I might be mistaken for a yuppie since I have a professional degree and live in the city, anyways.....

Its ironic to a certain extent what you are describing their suburban lifestyle and then they go urban, but maybe their parents were living beyond their means and the suburbs are a crashing bore, gas is expensive and gas guzzlers are bad for the earth, so hey if the current zeitgeist involves looking like a bit of a weirdo and overdoing it with the old clothes and beat up bikes and stuff I will take that over the suburbs ruling the day. Obviously they are finding something in the city that was lacking in the suburbs, not a huge surprise.
Some people try to hard to see the character in something over the superficial and they try to outdo each other, but they do eventually grow up, people in their twenties are still trying to fit in and find out what works for them.

So it looks like some suburbanites came back to the city in the 70s/80s
and now the kids of suburbanites are coming too now, THE HORROR!

Ofcourse without demographics we dont know the breakdown
of this interesting group of hipsters. A study should be done

Last edited by xavier xerxes; 12-27-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Look at all the hipsters on the defense. lol
I like to play devils advocate.
Not sure who you are referring too.
Making tons of one line posts does not equal a conservation.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Old school Chicago hipsters; Anita O'Day singing in Gene Krupa's band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSAPaThWJE

Krupa went to Austin and O'Day went to Senn. No mousy little girl with a reedy voice here; O'Day was a true Jazz singer and lived the life.

The trumpet player is Roy Eldridge.
Love Roy Eldridge, rep points to you, sir.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind4 View Post
It's true.

Like I said before, I'm 25, and it's funny (and ironic...) to see people I grew up with who had the best clothes, bicyles, and other things to suddenly pop up in neighborhoods they would have called "ghetto" (out of ignorance) back in high-school, looking like they could only choose their mom's clothes she put away 30 years ago, riding mutilated old bikes that they wouldn't be seen dead on only 10 years prior ( I've been riding old touring bikes since I learned how to do so....).

They're raving about little dive bars and old restaurants in places like Berwyn, Bridgeport and "West Logan Square" (aka Hermosa), places that I was laughed at by them back in the day for growing up in and having relatives in. They're frequenting thrift stores as though they were paid to do so, something I've shopped at my entire life.

They aren't changing the world; they're just exploiting aspects of the average blue-collar worker's way of life back in the 20th century. It's ironic to be average, look poor, and pretend to be thrifty when you grew up with a Lexus and Land Rover in a 4-bedroom suburban house, ya know.

I feel this post resonates with me the most. As child growing up, my father would take me to my nannie's on week ends when my parents went away. He was adamant about me learning how others survive and how most "average" people live day to day. It is something that never left me, and probably has a lot to do with how I have lived my life.

I find ironic mockery of "blue collar" people to be something of very poor taste. Do you see mothers shopping at thrift stores getting "stoaked" over an "epic" used sweater? Do children wearing 'hand-me-downs' look happy when they get on the bus to school every morning? Are parents thrilled when they have to look for a new dwelling when the lease is up? These things may be an urban game to hipsters, but it is not for those who actually have no choice.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I feel this post resonates with me the most. As child growing up, my father would take me to my nannie's on week ends when my parents went away. He was adamant about me learning how others survive and how most "average" people live day to day. It is something that never left me, and probably has a lot to do with how I have lived my life.

I find ironic mockery of "blue collar" people to be something of very poor taste. Do you see mothers shopping at thrift stores getting "stoaked" over an "epic" used sweater? Do children wearing 'hand-me-downs' look happy when they get on the bus to school every morning? Are parents thrilled when they have to look for a new dwelling when the lease is up? These things may be an urban game to hipsters, but it is not for those who actually have no choice.
Yeah and that post most non resonates with me.
I dont think people are up late at night planning some strange urban game to kick out the current inhabitants. Apparently you feel that you have rights to your neigborhood for all time. I dont feel that making fun of blue collar life is okay. And its "STOKED", an old westcoast slang coopted by fools in the midwest for the most part. Its just currently the opposite of white flight. Whites/those with money were bad for leaving the city and now are bad for coming back.

The opposite ghettoification, are parents thrilled when their neigborhood turns into the pits? Neither is something that anyone asked for,
gentrification or ghettoification, but really very rarely are neigborhoods static unchanging entities. Some neigborhoods have been nice for a very long time and others have been sucky for a very long time. But that changes. Either you constantly complain about the changes, or
you adapt or move on.

I guess people should only look for used clothes if they are forced to.
Why is going to thrift shops bad? Should someone have to prove they have a certain income to qualify to shop there?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Yeah and that post most non resonates with me.
I dont think people are up late at night planning some strange urban game to kick out the current inhabitants. Apparently you feel that you have rights to your neigborhood for all time. I dont feel that making fun of blue collar life is okay. And its "STOKED", an old westcoast slang coopted by fools in the midwest for the most part. Its just currently the opposite of white flight. Whites/those with money were bad for leaving the city and now are bad for coming back.

The opposite ghettoification, are parents thrilled when their neigborhood turns into the pits? Neither is something that anyone asked for,
gentrification or ghettoification, but really very rarely are neigborhoods static unchanging entities. Some neigborhoods have been nice for a very long time and others have been sucky for a very long time. But that changes. Either you constantly complain about the changes, or
you adapt or move on.

I guess people should only look for used clothes if they are forced to.
Why is going to thrift shops bad? Should someone have to prove they have a certain income to qualify to shop there?
Don't get your skinnys in a bunch. If a post "most non resonates" (lol) with you , address the person who wrote it.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Don't get your skinnys in a bunch. If a post "most non resonates" (lol) with you , address the person who wrote it.
But I was disagreeing with your post about that post,
so you if dont like my post to your post than you should address this
disagreement with the disagreeing party.
This is basically a nonpost.
Yeah, one liner snide comments are a great response.
You must have learned that from tony the tuna. Also its pretty unoriginal.
Its what people do when they cant make any valid counterarguments.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
junter, I don't read PMs from brand-new members, so don't bother sending any more.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junterXD View Post
Avengerfire is tonythetuna and the guy ran over to [domain blocked due to spam] forums under the name pitythefools talking crap about many of you posters here. Drover he talked about you as well.
I can't think of a single compelling reason to care what he or any of the [domain blocked due to spam] twerps have to say about me, or why it's gravely important to keep informing us that there's a klatch of whiners who don't like City-Data. We don't care.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junterXD View Post
You should.
And yet... I don't. But thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago