Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM

24 posts, read 50,569 times

Advertisements

The Chicago Spire seems to be dead and the Walford Astoria tower that they were going to build also seems to be cancelled so...

When do you think Chicago will get it's next supertall?

NY is getting the WTC complex and maybe the Hudson Towers which are about 3 1000+ ft buildings!

Will Chicago get anythin like this?

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
It won't get any for a long time.

That one tower by the lake (Waterview I think?) could have been next but it was stopped at mid construction.

so now you have an abandoned halfway built skyscraper in the middle of downtown.

If someone can get that one up it could be the next one.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
When will Chicago get its booming real estate market back? That's the first step. And then the next "Supertalls" will be completed about two years in to the next crash.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 AM

91 posts, read 294,090 times
I think the bigger question - is WHAT the skyscraper/super tall would be for. We've already got major skyscrapers with less than 100% occupancy & that includes the new TRUMP tower. We'd need more than a few major players with 8 figure $$$$ to pay the kind of rent a new supertall would require. The jobs created from building it would be great - but once its completed, then what? I think a new skyscraper would be overkill - we're already losing conventions and we have a wide assortment of venues & hoteliers that are banking on tourism monies to sustain them.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Convention business is returning, but we're probably at least 10-15 years away from being legitimitely able to justify a new 'supertall'.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM

467 posts, read 1,891,100 times
The condo market is so overbuilt, and a lot of people don't want to touch condos right now, so a new supertall is a long way off. Most of the new construction will be in the rental market, which is heating up considerably.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
I don't think Chicago needs another super-tall building. I really don't feel like we are falling behind anyone at this moment in time. We recently got the Trump Tower, and NYC is basically just replacing a super-tall building it lost in a tragedy ten years ago.

People will still know Chicago for having great architecture. To improve Chicago, I'd like to see something done about the traffic, the RAMPANT political corruption, and Chicago Public Schools. Of the things that we can do something about (nothing can really be done about the weather, lack of mountains/scenery, etc.) , these are the things that harm Chicago's image most. I feel like I would rather have one of these three issues addressed in a meaningful manner than another super-tall building built.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM

24 posts, read 50,569 times
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click on the link and see if you think it will get build? It currently says it has been approved so :s

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Won't happen for quite a while especially now that the taxes have went up on businesses as well as residents. What's the advantage to open up a huge business which would need a skyscaper over other parts of the US?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
It wont be happening for the first half of this decade, I can assure you that much. Chicago has a few things to work on and that is getting its economy back on track and getting its office vacancy rate down & its condo market vacancies down too.

But right now the condo market is done, due to fear of another housing slump, most developers in areas hit hard by housing crashes, which Chicago wasn't hit exponentially as hard as Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, Las Vegas, & other areas but was still hit hard, wont be seeing much of those being proposed and constructed.

Right now the apartment market is hot, nationally the apartment market saw a 14% increase and that's the new trend for now. When condos get back into demand, Chicago will see more chances of a supertall. Or when big companies want new ambitious towers as their signature outlook, thats when, but for that Chicago needs to get competitive and start attracting more jobs and companies to take its vacancy rate down a notch.

Earlier this week, Chicago just lost a Fortune 500 Company, Smurfit Stone (or something like that), which was bought out from some Atlanta based company. Atlanta wont be gaining any Fortune 500's (because it was a buy out, not a relocation) but Chicago will be losing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago