Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM

81 posts, read 238,504 times

Advertisements

First off, I am perturbed with what is occurring in this city with today's youth. The interesting is that it does happen randomly and you might see it on occasion.

I am disappointed because I believe this is giving people who are mainly Caucasian to come out of there shell and just show how bigoted they are. If you do not believe just look and observe. In the sun-times whenever a column comes up about these stories, you see racist and bigoted posts. with many so extreme that moderators have to completely delete or ban whoever made those comments. I have seen so many violations. The Chicago Tribune has basically disallowed anyone from commenting about this.

I have heard from sources that now outside Caucasian residents are going to the other side of the street whenever they view a group of teens who are not white, and on the CTA you wont see a Caucasian person sit with anyone who appears to be a person who fits the description of alleged flash mobbers, even on a full cart.

This is really making me think of that movie Crash, which challenged us to face our prejudices head on and with an open mind because we all have prejudices. I am upset because this is really hurting the reputation of the many upstanding and good young inner city youth, and the City of Chicago as well.

I really do think as I mentioned in previous posts and it is giving people who are disadvantaged an opportunity to succeed. So it is just not there parents, but employers in the north side and northern suburbs refusing to hire anyone who isn't white or Latino in my opinion. This is the summer time and anyone of any ethnicity needs something to do. A man will do anything to keep his mind occupied. So just don't expect teens who dont have the means to go to summer camps, (especially at a time when there are so many cuts in free social programs) play their video games all day or fiddle with their computer programs, expect them to gain meaningful employment when the economy is still somewhat stale, to just sit at home and do nothing. We are humans and we do not function like that, all of us. What these youth are doing is wrong, but you have to also look at the big picture because we all have to take some blame with what is going on.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 06-08-2011 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
No, there's already plenty of racial tension in this city.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM

61 posts, read 72,004 times
This thread surely must be a joke.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM

No joke I am for real, just open your eyes and see what is going on. All it take is one person to influence the lives of these young people, whetehr it is giving them an opportunity to succeed. If that happens maybe the young person who was fortunate to be helped, he/she might encourage his friends to go on the right path, and than you see a cycle turning. Instead we have people who stated that my post was a joke, and avoid looking at the bigger issue. Lets send them to jail, where more than likely when they get out they will become more harden. The cycle wont stop.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 PM

61 posts, read 72,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
No joke I am for real, just open your eyes and see what is going on.

Oh, I know what is going on and it ain't exactly the way you claim it is.

This thread is just another example of blame "whitey" and let's not address the social problems in our own communities.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times
Well, let's face what the facts are of the cases that have taken place. It is large groups of Black youths attacking 1-2 whites. But somehow this is not being called racist. In light of the events taking place, I think people should be aware and be responsible for their own personal security, safety and peace of mind. So if a person decides to avoid a large group of people (regardless of race) while they are walking, etc. that is their choice. If it was a large group of Asians attacking people, then you would see people avoiding large groups of Asians as an example. So once large groups of Black youths stop attacking people, then other people will feel more comfortable being around them, that's fairly logical. I don't believe anything I posted can be viewed as racist or bigoted, it's basically the facts and reality of current events.

But could it also be that you are viewing things with your own bias or stereotypes? Just because someone isn't sitting next to someone does not mean there is a tension, etc. it just means they are picking the seat they want. Or is it possible that the black guy doesn't want to sit next to the white guy, why is that not a possibility?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Quote:
I have heard from sources that now outside Caucasian residents are going to the other side of the street whenever they view a group of teens who are not white, and on the CTA you wont see a Caucasian person sit with anyone who appears to be a person who fits the description of alleged flash mobbers, even on a full cart.
This is not racism it's called profiling and in this case it's spot on. Just on the news tonight they interviewed white, black, and asian people from the suburbs all of which said they won't be heading to Michigan ave.

Quote:
I really do think as I mentioned in previous posts and it is giving people who are disadvantaged an opportunity to succeed. So it is just not there parents, but employers in the north side and northern suburbs refusing to hire anyone who isn't white or Latino in my opinion. This is the summer time and anyone of any ethnicity needs something to do. A man will do anything to keep his mind occupied. So just don't expect teens who dont have the means to go to summer camps, (especially at a time when there are so many cuts in free social programs) play their video games all day or fiddle with their computer programs, expect them to gain meaningful employment when the economy is still somewhat stale, to just sit at home and do nothing. We are humans and we do not function like that, all of us. What these youth are doing is wrong, but you have to also look at the big picture because we all have to take some blame with what is going on.
Really so you're saying every white and latino teen in the city has a job and that's why there aren't mobs of white and/or latino thugs jumping people?

Gotcha

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
I do believe that people should take this seriously.

It would be wise for people to take heed of thise events as to how it might trigger something worse.

I don't think we should kid ourselves for a second that Chicago can not experience another racially charged riot. Yes, those mostly happened in the ancient history known as the 60s, but we have had major racially charged riots in the last 20 years, and it CAN turn back the clock on the progress that Chicago has made.

The LA riots of 92 triggered by the Rodney King incident took a toll on LAs image that made a lasting impact. Cincinnati had a riot in 2001.

The stark, stark differences between the conditions of the north side and the south and west sides is something that is VERY easy for people to dismiss as that being something that all cities have.

I think you will see property values drop, people trying to sell their north side condos, if something like this happens. It can turn back the clock on Chicagos gentrification and overall image.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
This is not racism it's called profiling and in this case it's spot on. Just on the news tonight they interviewed white, black, and asian people from the suburbs all of which said they won't be heading to Michigan ave.

Really so you're saying every white and latino teen in the city has a job and that's why there aren't mobs of white and/or latino thugs jumping people?

Gotcha
First off racial profiling is still a form of racism. It is like I do not want a person of this background to live in this neighborhood because of certain stereotypes and it might bring my property value down. No different what is going on here. As one person mentioned, maybe you should start taking things seriously. This really isn't a joke. Sending them to jail is not the solution.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times
Quote:
Sending them to jail is not the solution.
You seem to have all the answers, so what is then?

Also hate to break it to you, but true profiling is not racism. Profiling in it's technical sense, means being able to assess the situation at hand using both obvious and hidden cues to determine the threat or intent of a given person, group or situation. The Israeli Police Counter Terrorism unit are fantastic at profiling suicide bombers. They aren't accurate by using "racism", example they aren't just looking for Arabs in turbins, they read the body language and other indicators a person gives off regardless of race, age or gender. This basically reverts back to trusting our "animal instincts". Animals are incapable of being "racist", but they know who the predators are in their kingdom and who is a threat to them even amoung their own species. People need to trust more in their guy and trust the "hair standing up on the back of their neck" feeling you get. This is your animal instinct reading a situation. To ignore this, and place yourself in danger all in the name of being PC is absurd.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 06-08-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago