Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 PM

29 posts, read 49,658 times

Advertisements

I work in the south loop (near Roosevelt and Wabash) and live in the South Shore area. I have not seen ONE clean street yet, nor have I seen one truck. Usually, because the block I live on is kind of busy (and the streets and sans offfice is at the end of the next block) they would have BEEN through here...at least once. I just walked to the store and have not seen one salt truck. Is there some type of "silent strike" going on? Did they cut some people and are short staffed?? Something is fishy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
In Lakeview, I noticed that the outer LSD is very clear. Plows have been up and down N Broadway. However, the side streets are untouched. I think they have been focusing on critical streets through rush hour and will probably get to the rest in the evening.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,283 times
Fishy? Hardly. Traffic has been crawling everywhere since 1 o'clock this afternoon and well into the evening. The snow was coming down very fast and heavy. How much could they really do with so many vehicles in the way?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 PM

@ParkerP...you must be new to the city. The salt trucks are usually waiting (and running) whenever there is a storm on it's way. This storm started this morning and my street (and other main streets) remains untouched...that's not normal.
BTW...you know this storm started well before rush hour right?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,283 times
Been here all my life. Which I guess is why I'm not surprised that most streets weren't cleared yet for rush hour. Ok yeah, the storm started before rush hour. It still came down heavy during rush hour. So again, I'm not surprised they couldn't get to everything in time. Not sure salt would have done much good in this case. My neighbors that salted earlier today will be shoveling again in the morning lol. Btw, my street was cleared about 2 hrs ago.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,216,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGemini View Post
Something is fishy....
If something is fishy it's also fishy in Lombard, in Oak Park, in Winnetka, etc. I just checked Facebook and it's loaded with statuses from friends of mine in the burbs who've been posting cellphone photos of themselves stuck in traffic (on local roads) for hours now.

It was a storm that hit at the worst possible time. They were doing a great job of keeping the streets clear around 2 or 3.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM

@Attrill...that's not surprising...surrounding suburbs are notorius for having sucky snow plow/salt truck services. One thing I can say about Chicago is that they have always been on point when it came to clearing up the snow...it stemmed from a former mayor being ousted because of his poor handling of the situation. Don't believe me? Ask former mayor Michael Bilandic.
Also, considering what happened last year, you would think they would be kind of over the top with battling this storm (the first of the winter, mind you) head on.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Okay, I know I'm not crazy, I'm reading the comments under an article about the storm and everyone is basically saying the same thing I said. Didn't see ONE snow plow truck out. Like I said, people who didn't notice obviously aren't from here. One thing about this city is they have always been great with handling snowstorms. So in comparison to the past, something is definitely not right. But then I realize some people just say sh*t to be a smart azz instead of actually trying to engage in some type of dialouge and it all makes sense....

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
It's cause the storm hit at the worst possible time, rush hour on Friday was when it was in full swing. Took them a little while to get to all the main streets, but everything looked fine by 11pm or so last night.

Seems pretty normal, I think we're just use to storms hitting at night, which the last few have.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
The snowstorm BEFORE this one, I noticed snowplows very early on here in Elgin, I thought they kind of jumped the gun. THIS storm it took them quite a while to go by and I live on a street that is fairly busy and therefore plowed pretty early. I wonder if they were trying to cut back a little on overtime by waiting until more of the forecasted snow was already on the ground instead of plowing the 1st 1/2 inch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago