Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times

Advertisements

Perfect! Thank you! The Gage is right near our hotel. I think we'll hit it up for lunch tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Skip Charlie's Ale House. You won't find anything there that the other places won't have. I'm also not a huge fan of Clark Street Ale House but it's a reasonable approximation of a real beer house and it's pretty much the only one in the River North area (the area where your hotel is). It's the ideal place to close after a night of pubcrawling before stumbling back to the hotel to crash.

The three must-do beer houses in Chicago, as have already been mentioned, are Hop Leaf, Map Room, and Quencher's. There are actually two Goose Islands, the one closer to your hotel being the one on Clybourn. But the other one in Wrigleyville is closer to Sheffield's, so maybe you can hit them both up in one train ride.

I didn't care for Piece's beer at first but I've really come around -- I don't know if it's that my tastes have changed or their beer has improved. They also make really good pizza, the only New Haven-style pizza joint in all of Chicago. Their red pizza (somewhat anathema to New Haven-style but I don't care) is one of my favorite pies in town.

I think Revolution is pretty good but they're awfully expensive. Piece and Revolution are along the same train line, two stops from each other, so they're another good comb hit. I'd hit Piece on an afternoon though, that place gets packed in the evenings.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Concur 100% with Drover's take above. And I'm a microbrewery, brewpub freak, I've been to the Church Brewery in Pittsburgh, Magic Hat in Burlington, VT, New Glarus, Petosi, etc. in WI, and it's just a great way to meet interesting people and gain an appreciation for the craft.

Has anyone here actually been on one of the Metropolitan Brewery's tours, btw? Keep meaning to check it out...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Has anyone here actually been on one of the Metropolitan Brewery's tours, btw? Keep meaning to check it out...
I work in the same building as Metropolitan and it's definitely worth taking the tour. Doug and Tracy are great people and really know their stuff. Koval distillery is also in the building and sometimes you can arrange to tour both. Oh - and Hopleaf is just a short walk away too.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I work in the same building as Metropolitan and it's definitely worth taking the tour. Doug and Tracy are great people and really know their stuff. Koval distillery is also in the building and sometimes you can arrange to tour both. Oh - and Hopleaf is just a short walk away too.
Very cool, thanks. I should have said, is it worth taking the tour given that you have to schedule pretty far in advance (and I'm always waiting too long and it's sold out!) - I can't imagine it's anything but a cool place.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Great thread~I just booked a trip to Chicago and we too are beer snobs, and plan our vacation around what's available for microbreweries or beer bars. Great suggestions, thanks!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Very cool, thanks. I should have said, is it worth taking the tour given that you have to schedule pretty far in advance (and I'm always waiting too long and it's sold out!) - I can't imagine it's anything but a cool place.
If you can fit it in your schedule, it is definitely worth doing. They only make Lagers, which makes them very unique among microbrewers.

The Half Acre tours are also good, and usually have a 2 week lead time for reservations.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times
Well gentlemen, Today I made a quick stop to Goose Island Wrigleyville and had a quick sampler. I'm bringing home a bomber of Bourbon County Stout and a second of the Coffee version. $20 is a lot for a bottle but it's so worth it! They have Daisy Cutter on draft at my hotel which is phenomenal. Like a thinner mouthfeel version of Pliny. Had some Matilda the other day as well as Bells Oberon which was nice and New Holland Saison, I forgot the name. Great stuff.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
This story is relevant to the topic of the thread. I figured I would post it here instead of starting a new one.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20101120/ISSUE01/311209986/pay-to-play-infects-chicago-beer-market-crains-investigation-finds
(http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/money/smaller-breweries-beer-must-pay-to-play-in-chicago-market-crains-james-ylisela-20101123 - broken link)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This story is relevant to the topic of the thread. I figured I would post it here instead of starting a new one.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20101120/ISSUE01/311209986/pay-to-play-infects-chicago-beer-market-crains-investigation-finds
(http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/money/smaller-breweries-beer-must-pay-to-play-in-chicago-market-crains-james-ylisela-20101123 - broken link)
Yeah, i read this article in Crain's yesterday, it is pretty good and raises a good issue, but there are problems with it, in my opinion. The craft brewers are complaining in this article because they aren't getting taps, and most of the blame is on the big distributors. The issue is these same distributors that are getting blamed are the ones that carry the craft brewers brands...which would mean the craft brewers are also benefitting from pay to play. While I enjoy drinking craft beers, I find that craft brewers are a bunch of whiners. I just watched the video and I find it even more annoying, because the guy doesn't seem to understand that the distributors already are distributing craft beers...dumb.

Pay-to-play infects Chicago beer market, Crain's investigation finds | In Other News | Crain's Chicago Business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago