Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Half Acre - I was trying to think of the name of this one but was drawing a blank. Nice to see they've found a place to brew in Chicago. Last I read about them, their offices were in Chicago but their brewing operations were in Stevens Point.
Actually it was Sand Creek/Pioneer/Wisconsing Brewing Co. up in Black River Falls that was contract brewing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's as if someone rubbed my Genie lamp.

Anyway, if you like things lighter and milder and you want to stay local, 312 Wheat is a good place to start. And speaking of Goose Island, it's about time for their Summertime Kolsch to hit the taps and grocery store shelves. That's a good summer "relax after mowing the lawn" beer. Other good local easy-drinkers would be Three Floyds Pride and Joy Mild Ale and Three Floyds Gumballhead Wheat.

Finally, not all dark beers are dry and bitter. A good initiation into very pleasant and drinkable dark beer is Piece Dark & Curvy, available only on the premises of Piece at North & Damen. Unfortunately, it's not always part of their tap lineup. But God bless the place when it is.
Ive got a 6 pack of Summertime Kolsch Bier in my fridge. Had a few so far, not really a fan. I prefer their Oatmeal Stout, Honkers Ale, Nut Brown and Harvest Ale over the Summertime Kolsch-style brew. Its not bad, but just not that great. The ONLY beer Ive had from Goose Island that Im not a fan of is the India Pale Ale--BLECH.

Outside of local beers, I LOVE Belhaven, PBR (dont laugh), Leinenkugels, and Stella Artois.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive got a 6 pack of Summertime Kolsch Bier in my fridge. Had a few so far, not really a fan. I prefer their Oatmeal Stout, Honkers Ale, Nut Brown and Harvest Ale over the Summertime Kolsch-style brew. Its not bad, but just not that great. The ONLY beer Ive had from Goose Island that Im not a fan of is the India Pale Ale--BLECH.

Outside of local beers, I LOVE Belhaven, PBR (dont laugh), Leinenkugels, and Stella Artois.
I'm not a huge fan of Summertime either. Kolsch is a bit of a humdrum style. But sometimes it just hits the spot. And keep in mind that Costa Rica Chica is looking for mild, easy-drinking beers. Kolsch beers fit the bill.

Last edited by Drover; 04-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity after thread merger

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Has anyone mentioned the Roundhouse Brewery in Aurora? I know theyve had a few World Beer Cup victories in certain categories.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Roundhouse is one of the most mediocre breweries in the area. In fact I would even put Rock Bottom above Roundhouse. And Rock Bottom frequently lives down to its name. Not to mention it's pretty well off the beaten path for CRC.
It's a really cool building though.

Last edited by Drover; 04-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity after thread merger

Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Ive got a 6 pack of Summertime Kolsch Bier in my fridge. Had a few so far, not really a fan.
The OP was basically looking for a light, refreshing type of beer. The Kolsch is probably a good option for her. I like 'em on a hot day.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Roundhouse is one of the most mediocre breweries in the area. In fact I would even put Rock Bottom above Roundhouse. And Rock Bottom frequently lives down to its name. Not to mention it's pretty well off the beaten path for CRC.
It's a really cool building though.
You think so? I know a few beer aficionados who love the Roundhouse's brews.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The OP was basically looking for a light, refreshing type of beer. The Kolsch is probably a good option for her. I like 'em on a hot day.
Why not a simple Miller High Life or Tecate? Theyre pretty light and quite refreshing. Er, Tecate is at least.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Why not a simple Miller High Life or Tecate? Theyre pretty light and quite refreshing. Er, Tecate is at least.
Because she was looking for local microbreweries.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Because she was looking for local microbreweries.
Beat me to it. I hate getting accosted for actually answering the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago