Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 PM

29 posts, read 85,736 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I've been browsing on here a bit and have seen a lot of helpful information. I am hoping to relocate by March 08. I have the same old question... What is a good area?... However everyones individual needs seem to lean towards certain areas so I'd like to mention mine here.

I currently live in Huntsville, AL. It is a great city but has no market for the career I wish to pursue. More on that in a sec... I have 2 jobs. One I see as a good paycheck... The other I see as a "paying my dues" job working toward my dream career with music. I work for my fathers burglar alarm business during the week and DJ at the only electronic dance music nightclub in my city on the weekends... Due to the terrible martket.

Anyway, this area drives me crazy and I long for an area with things to do where dance music thrives.

Anyway, to move forward with the music... I am at a stage where I am ready to let go of my DJ residense here. I want to get to a great market. focus on paying the bills, producing music, and networking in the industry.

Researching shows me that Chicago has one of the best scenes for electronic dance music in the country. I also see that I could probably easily land a job in the alarm industry and possibly make $25 per hour with my experience.

I am looking for an area convenient to good nightlife so I can get out and network plus have fun... Maybe kind of a college or young adult crowd area. Hopefully lots of creative people... I am really into art of all types. I know crime exists everywhere but... ya know.. maybe a nice area where I can get a decent sized apartment not too crazy on price but be convenient for me to get out and meet more interesting and creative people.

I'm thinking close to the city if not somewhere inside.

Any helpful ideas will be MUCH appreciated.

Off to work... Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
From what you've said, I think that the Bucktown/Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village area might be your speed. It's a big change from Huntsville (I lived there for a little while one summer during college. I had an uncle at Redstone), but is a pretty good area for the DJ set. Hipstery and artsy, though not as much as it was 15 years ago. Jump on Craigslist and you're bound to find a decent place, though you might go through a little sticker shock. It's a lot more expensive here than in 'Bama.

Security system jobs are likely easily available. A quick look at Craiglist finds this ad: Alarm Installation Manager - Operations Manager (broken link)

And this one: Alarm Technician III (broken link)

And this one: Alarm Service Tech (broken link)

The only one that lists wages mentions 15-35 an hour, so you could probably make at least what you make now.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,673 times
If you don't like huge and increasingly exponential industrialization, I wouldn't move within 100 miles of Chicago. But if you are looking to make some money, Chicago is a good area to do so.

Stay out of towns like Joliet, Romeoville, Bolingbrook, around that area. Not bad areas, but the population is going through exponential increases and the traffic is starting to get horrible no matter where you are.

Personally, I like areas such as Mokena, more wooded and less populated, but taxes are through the roof. Move there if you want to know what it feels like to get raped in the butt by the government.

Personally, I would stay away, far away, but this is coming from someone who grew up living the small town life and can't stand sitting in traffic for thirty minutes just to get to my job five miles down the road.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
If you don't like huge and increasingly exponential industrialization, I wouldn't move within 100 miles of Chicago. But if you are looking to make some money, Chicago is a good area to do so.

Stay out of towns like Joliet, Romeoville, Bolingbrook, around that area. Not bad areas, but the population is going through exponential increases and the traffic is starting to get horrible no matter where you are.

Personally, I like areas such as Mokena, more wooded and less populated, but taxes are through the roof. Move there if you want to know what it feels like to get raped in the butt by the government.

Personally, I would stay away, far away, but this is coming from someone who grew up living the small town life and can't stand sitting in traffic for thirty minutes just to get to my job five miles down the road.
Huh? I don't know if I understand the industrialization comments. Traditional industrialization is shrinking here. Chicago, like most US cities, is pretty post-industrial. Plus, it seems the OP is not looking for small-town livin'.

As for commutes, live in the city and you don't have to go as far!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Huh? I don't know if I understand the industrialization comments. Traditional industrialization is shrinking here. Chicago, like most US cities, is pretty post-industrial. Plus, it seems the OP is not looking for small-town livin'.

As for commutes, live in the city and you don't have to go as far!
Live in the city, and the majority of your income is eaten away by the cost of living and taxes through the roof. My girlfriends family, who used to live in the city, can't afford to move back now because their house that once costed 130,000k is now being sold for over 400,000k.

Ridiculous. The entire state is. For that price in most other states, I could be living VERY well off in a house with an actual backyard and a couple of acres to boot.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM

101 posts, read 411,261 times
Jak, what made you so bitter towards the city? I feel like you should tell your story in a thread. Your attitude seems to be exceptional and not that of many.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKennedy View Post
Jak, what made you so bitter towards the city? I feel like you should tell your story in a thread. Your attitude seems to be exceptional and not that of many.
I am not bitter towards the city. I love Chicago, and I like many of the subarbs. I will explain the things I dislike, but overall I have a neutral impression of the city. I love the arts, the culture, downtown, and especially the food. But I have my quirks that make me a bit negative, and I will explain them later if you wish to get things straightened out. But I am here to stay for at least four more years.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:03 PM

A great topic for another thread. Any other tips for Play?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Ukranian Village or Andersonville.

Andersonville is obviously a bit farther north, but its a bit cheaper, and also seems to have quite a few musicians/artists in the area.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Don't have much useful info to add, but I just wanted to say that I grew up in Huntsville, AL and am so glad to have gotten out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago