Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Lost a good friend who was toying around with his rifle and shot himself in the eye socket. You own a gun and you are about 4 times more likely to use it or have some sort of accident. It ain't all sugar and spice, though I know some city folk who get a gun and then try to put on their best redneck act-trying to front like they have grown up around guns their whole life and what not. LoL.
and how about the corollary to that. not only do you have a good chance of shooting yourself or a love one by accident (or even on purpose with the availability of guns within your house), you also have a darned good chance of not being able to use your gun for that moment of defense you had it for where you would seemingly magically be able to whip it out and use it.....when things don't work that way.

I doubt that anyone in that dark theatre in Aurora had time to pull out a gun to defend himself or shoot the killer; and if someone was able to get off a shot or two, there's a darned good chance that he would have hit someone else in the audience, only adding to the death toll.

but, heck, what do i know. I think I will start carrying a gun now. that way if a criminal pulls one on me, I can always say, "Time out. Give me a second or two here to pull out my gun and then we can get started"

Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not so friend, australia and england have both banned guns with skyrocketing crime and violence as a result. gun ban will not prevent black on black violence.
32% of all homocides do not involve firearms at all yet at every CDF post gun ban is advocated.
The real thugs will always find them. I'm talking about these reclusive nerds who get a hold of them and go berserk. In a way, they can be a bigger threat to society at large than the gangsters. When's the last time a gang member did this? They keep their crime confined to their hood, and it's all over money/drugs. Usually.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Gun control can have some impact, but blanket gun bans and control aren't likely to have much of an impact. There are measures that can be taken though:

1 - Make people responsible for the guns they purchase. If a gun was last registered as being in your possession is used in a homicide you need to be held accountable for that. If it's stolen - report it. If it was sold - report that. Otherwise it is YOUR gun. There are people who make a living selling guns illegally to gang members, knowing that the guns are going to be used by criminals. How about we hold some of those guys "accountable". They are the scum of the earth. The penalties shouldn't be the same as a homicide, but you should do some jail time and not be able to buy and sell guns.

2 - Make guns tracable. Ballistics technology combined with digital databases make it very easy (and affordable) to identify guns used in crimes. It may take a decade to build a database that really works, so let's get started now.

3 - Sales of ammo need to be regulated the same way that gun sales are. If you can't buy a gun, you shouldn't be able to buy ammo. In many parts of the country that is not true.
I'm just going to repost these.

Many of Chicago's guns come from lax gun stores in the south, like Mississippi, which sell trunkloads of them to single individuals. Nobody in their right mind buys a trunk full of handguns of similar make, what possible legal/legitimate purpose can there be for that?

The gun show loophole is another huge problem.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
We are a nation born into violence. Our forefathers signed the declaration that all men are created equal but yet had slaves. Pilgrims murdered indians, wars took and continue to take place. Unfortunately its who we are, getting rid of the guns won't solve anything.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
"Chicago murder rate more than double the American soldiers killed in Afghanistan during the same period." - Roger Ebert, 10 minutes ago on Twitter.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
There are 300+ million guns in this country? How do those who think guns should be illegal suggest those be recovered?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
We are a nation born into violence. Our forefathers signed the declaration that all men are created equal but yet had slaves. Pilgrims murdered indians, wars took and continue to take place. Unfortunately its who we are, getting rid of the guns won't solve anything.
that's pretty bleak, matty. we have no national DNA and nothing has been stamped into. you talk about long ago but seem to skip over the fact that as late as the 1950s, we weren't worrying about gun control and rising murder rates; mass shootings were unknown. and so many people in the United States today didn't even have ancestors here at the end of WWII.

Yes, we have a history of violence. Yes, we need to confront it. And certainly the course of our history may have turned out better if he hadn't revolved from England in a bloody war but evolved from England with the passage of time like Canada did.

we can solve this problem and be like every other civilized nation on the planet, as long as we understand that solution is not panacea; our problems will not miraculously go away. but with gun control, we will have gone a long way in shrinking the degree of the problem, save lives, and improve the quality of life in the United States.

"Unfortunately its who we are, getting rid of the guns won't solve anything"?

Fortunately it's not who we are and controlling guns will solve something, something important, as it severely limits the degree of damage that guns can do.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
guilty as charged. i guess i must have assumed he wasn't by other things that he said. at any rate, i was wrong and on this one, i owe him an apology.
Apology accepted. FYI, I am black, if that matters to you.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not so friend, australia and england have both banned guns with skyrocketing crime and violence as a result. gun ban will not prevent black on black violence.
32% of all homocides do not involve firearms at all yet at every CDF post gun ban is advocated.
Unfortunately, black-on-black violence isn't about guns. It's about jealousy, ignorance, anger, lack of education, and extreme self-hatred. Certain members of our 'community' are crapping all over the rest of us, littering the streets with angry, violent young men. The welfare system is partially to blame. It has created generations of dependents who get more ignorant and violent with each new batch. This system needs to be completely re-vamped. It's a failure.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Lost a good friend who was toying around with his rifle and shot himself in the eye socket. You own a gun and you are about 4 times more likely to use it or have some sort of accident. It ain't all sugar and spice, though I know some city folk who get a gun and then try to put on their best redneck act-trying to front like they have grown up around guns their whole life and what not. LoL.
No offense, but if you shoot yourself then you must be a fool. You never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy. I don't care if it's loaded or not.

Many people lack the basic intellect, discipline, mental stability and common sense to own a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago