Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly you are probably ideally suited to living in Oak Park and so long as you avoid any whacky suggestions to live too near crime hot spots you will very likely have a pleasant stay. I'd rent in the nicest place you can afford and then shop for the best value in an area that will give you access to the best performing schools.

I'm just curious, but do you suggest Oak Park blindly to everyone? Pretty much every "where should I live?" suggestion i've ever seen you make has to do with Oak Park. We don't even know anything about this person other than where they're from and really basic things like that. I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything, but it just seems odd to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 8,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
If you can handle Humboldt Park you're going to be just fine.

Let's just chalk that up to blissful ignorance and it was pretty early in the afternoon (just had to try that Jibarito!). As an outsiders, I only thought to stay out of most areas in the Southside. I had no idea about the West side or certain neighborhoods in the North.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
What's not reported is that about 500,000 people come and go into and out of downtown every day .. with absolutely nothing criminal ( well, except maybe in the office ) happening to them ..even when working late, hanging out afterwards, etc .. You state you're comfortable in an urban environment ( paraphrasing) ..well ..here we are .. Come and Enjoy !!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Youu're kidding, right?

I post a few dozens msgs most days, about a third on the suburban threads and the rest split between the whole of the region, and threads about real estate or general business.

I've been accused of being biased AGAINST Oak Park any times by its rabid promoter(s) but in reality I recommend it to folks relocating looking for nice compromise between urban and suburban who express an awareness of the trade-offs that often go hand-in-hand with such a compromise.

If the OP said they were thinking of living in a rougher area, like Humbolt Park, I'd probably direct 'em to other parts of the region. If they want a quieter area and don't mind not having CTA service that runs from 4AM to 1AM I might endorse their selection of suburbs served exclusively by Metra. As it is, sinc she grew up in Harlem & hubby likes to have one with the office mates Green Line to Oak Park ought to be prefered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm just curious, but do you suggest Oak Park blindly to everyone? Pretty much every "where should I live?" suggestion i've ever seen you make has to do with Oak Park. We don't even know anything about this person other than where they're from and really basic things like that. I'm not trying to be an a-hole or anything, but it just seems odd to me.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
As others mentioned, you will be perfectly safe in a majority of the areas of Chicago. I would recommend you don't listen to Chet on living in Oak Park. If you really want any suggestions as to where you should live then please give us more information. The information Chet is basing his decision on is far too little to actually give us any good idea of what your looking for.

Congrats on the move!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That was funny. You must be confusing Chet with someone else.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
^Does their name start with an L and end with a inicx?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 8,369 times
We have a budget of $1500/month for 2+ bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms. I know there are a lot of different kinds of apts/flats/houses around the Chicago neighborhoods, so I'm more concerned about the areas. I don't want to have to walk through a rough area to get to the El or Metra. We can work around our apt checklist requirements but I can't budge on not being able to walk around my town with my son in peace. I feel more comfortable living on a tree-lined street than on a busy block, even though I wouldn't mind something close to that.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfOne5 View Post
We have a budget of $1500/month for 2+ bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms. I know there are a lot of different kinds of apts/flats/houses around the Chicago neighborhoods, so I'm more concerned about the areas. I don't want to have to walk through a rough area to get to the El or Metra. We can work around our apt checklist requirements but I can't budge on not being able to walk around my town with my son in peace. I feel more comfortable living on a tree-lined street than on a busy block, even though I wouldn't mind something close to that.
Lincoln Square or Andersonville should work.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lincoln Square or Andersonville should work.
Agreed. The 2 bathroom thing might be less common at that price in certain areas, but yeah. I saw one place a little bit ago near Damen and Argyle-ish area.. It was a 2 bed, 1 bath with almost new appliances, new ceiling fans, central air, new shower head, great walls, and great hard wood floors for only $1400/month. Right near a bus stop and a few blocks away from the brown line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago