Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times

Advertisements

Depends on where I would be leaving it for. I love urbanity and so if I was going back home to Texas, I would miss the urbanity and the urban culture here that no city in Texas can really match. Really, the only two cities I probably wouldn't miss Chicago for would be San Fran and NYC because they both have what Chicago has. You may include Boston in that also, but to a lesser extent. I'm also a sports junkie, and this is probably the 2nd best sports town behind Boston, so I would definitely miss that. I would also miss eating real pizza (unless I'm moving to NYC). Aside from that, probably just friends and acquaintances that I've met or hung out with in my time here. It just seems like a fun town to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 AM

178 posts, read 370,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
It's looking more and more likely that I'll be moving away from Chicago this year (possibly back to the East Coast). If I do leave, the things I will miss most include:

-Lou Malnati. Nothing specific-deep dish, thin crust, whatever. It's the only time when I truly enjoy Chicago style pizza (sorry guys, just never became enamored with deep dish pies!)
-Authentic Mexican food in Little Village. Boston sucks for Mexican food so I never had any of the good stuff before moving here.
-Near 24/7 public transportation. Even with the recent hikes, it's still a good deal, especially if you live off of the blue or red line.
-The lakefront. Compared to Boston, Chicago has done an AMAZING job developing its waterfront. I would truly miss the long walks from Millennium Park to North Ave or Montrose Beach during the summer.
-The skyscrapers. Now that I'm no longer in school and constantly in the Loop, the few times a month I'm downtown, I'm always taken aback by some of these buildings.
As a Boston native, I will agree to that Mexican food assessment. Although I will counter by saying that Boston has amazing Portuguese, Brazilian, and Salvadoran options that helped me get over the lack of Mexican food. Not that those choices have a ton in common with the Mexican cusine, but I felt like it filled the void.
As for what I missed when I left Chicago and made me happy to see when I returned.......the skyline, the lakefront paths/parks, the random greenspaces (like Logan Blvd), the sheer number of choices for food, bars, shopping etc, 24 hour trains. Then strange random things (you wouldn't think you'd miss) like a block of bungalows in Mayfair, or the Polish language storefronts near Belmont/Central, Gene and Jude's in River Grove (I know it isn't in town), Galewood, Vienna Beef/Old Style signs etc....
There are a lot of things that say Chicago that you don't think you'll miss until you don't see them everyday. Nowadays, I honestly feel like I am back when I transfer from the Blue Line at Jeff Park and I get bombarded with random religious paraphernalia.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
I moved to Denver recently. Great city in its own right, but I miss the culture of Chicago - few other places you can listen to free and amazing music in Millennium Park - and the variety of food is better in Chicago. Luckily a few visits a year tends to give me my Chicago "fix" and I'm OK.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
July and August in the city. Parts of June and September too.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
What I miss most is walking on the Lakefront, public transportation and my friends. I am hoping to move back soon.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
It depends on where I was moving to. But the first things that come to mind are Lollapalooza music fest, concerts in general and going to sporting events.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
We left in Nov, and so far, I'm not missing winter. Come May-Oct, I'll miss the following.
Riding my bike to Cubs games
Street festivals
Walking to bars/restaurants
Never having to drive drunk, only walk or cab drunk
walking to a 7-11 or other minimart for something
big concerts
good cheap thai food
Big 10 football
Ohare
parking the car on Friday and not moving it until Sunday

Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashplowe View Post
Favorite traditions, places, anything that comes to mind.
Sorry for the title typo, I can't figure out how to change it!
Living without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago