Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Yeah except for the fact that I was a Poli Sci minor in college and I thoroughly understand ALL of the political ideologies.
Yeah, that makes all the difference in the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I minored in fermented ethanol liquid ingestion in college, so you should definitely not listen to me.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:

What it does sound like to me Tom, is that YOU are the one looking to exploit others.
Explain yourself. All I see here is you using a Goebbels Twist, a rhetorical trick where one accuses someone of being what they're against. It impresses those with a superficial sense of irony. It's Pee Wee Herman on a grand scale.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I minored in fermented ethanol liquid ingestion in college, so you should definitely not listen to me.
I think most people majored in that in college.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Yeah except for the fact that I was a Poli Sci minor in college and I thoroughly understand ALL of the political ideologies.
I drive a Dodge Stratus!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Because taking more from society they also have a moral obligation to provide more back to it. But because you don't have morals I'll put it to you in practical terms--self defense. The rich must assuage the commoners to avoid revolution.

If you're not rich why should you care about the interests of the rich anyway? And if you are rich why should I care about your interests?
Agreed. While I don't agree with 100% of what Michael Moore says, in his movie "Capitalism A love story", his explanation as to why people would care about the interests of the rich, is because they were brought up to believe that if they just keep working hard enough, they WILL one day be one of the rich. Basically a carrot held in front of them.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I am not rich by any means...but when one gets wealthy, you are not "taking" from society, you are CONTRIBUTING to society by running a valuable service (restaurant, new invention, whatever) that society has deemed to be of worth and therefore they pay you for it.

Plus one does not "buy off" the lower classes; instead, the best approach is to maintain a society that has economic mobility and a strong Middle Class. Paying a huge amount of taxes does not create a middle class. Being disabled and not able to work is one thing, but getting free government handouts for no reason, does nothing but create a dependent welfare mooch class. And as a matter of fact, any individual paying any income tax in america, is paying nothing but pay interest on the debt. This is a FACT. It does not help pay for the military nor any government "service".

It sounds to me Tom, that you know nothing about finance, economics, taxation, or politics. All you know is what has been spoon fed to you through media like MSNBC or the Huffington Post.
I don't think Tom is suggesting welfare or just broad distribution. When people suggest that the rich should be taxed at a higher rate, its not suggesting that we just give that to people who don't work. Instead the suggestion is, is that money could go to fund infrastructure, road, railroads, transit, schools, park and preserve systems, which in turn creates jobs. It can also, yes go to schools, it can go to subsidize manufacturing to keep it here in the states, also giving people jobs, since not everyone is meant to go to college, etc.

Rich people were taxed at a much higher rate back in the 50s, during the height of anti-communism Joe Mcarthy rhetoric, before the era of welfare and the war on poverty. We built the interstate highway system during this time. Where do you think the money came from for that?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Dont get me wrong EDSG, I agree with you on most points. We need to get rid of globalism and return to local economies, local business...local based government.

I up-repped your post.
those local economies are going to happen; they're happening now. we are on the same page on all those things you listed, Link.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
This is what I am referring to, leftists have such a think skin...when you disagree with them on any level, they resort to snide comments and insults.

So I am going to turn the tables on you, and use your own tactic against you..."Tom, since you disagree with me, you must not be as intelligent as me, so I am going to call you childish and insult you."

Leftists are some of the most closed-minded people around...they literally cannot think outside the box and they refuse to see thru someone else's eyes, or to accept that there are mutliple viewpoints on the world. And when you disagree with them on any point, they get angry and lash out at you, call younames, call you racist, stupid, etc...it really turns people off.....
I think you meant figuratively. How is it possible to LITERALLY think outside a box? Stand outside a box, sure, but think outside of it? I think you meant figuratively..

And btw - If a viewpoint is a racist viewpoint, it's not lashing out to call it what it is..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I drive a Dodge Stratus!
I remember that SNL skit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago