Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm guessing the reason CTA and others don't post "Walk Left Stand Right" signs at escalators is because if they do, and someone walks on the escalator and trips and gets injured, they could be sued?
Probably. That's the reason way too many things are done or not done in our country, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
People standing instead of walking on escalators isn't nearly as annoying as idiots who crowd around on moving walkways.
I find neither to be annoying when the standing is on the right, and both to be annoying when the standing is on the left.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
People standing instead of walking on escalators isn't nearly as annoying as idiots who crowd around on moving walkways.
And it is safer especially if you have a child with you.

Danger On The Escalator - CBS News

Quote:
Experts say adults should always hold the handrail, and children should hold their hands.

Keep your feet and clothing away from the sides of the escalator.

Try to stand near the middle of the step.

Never let kids sit down or play on escalators.

If you're with more than one child, or have a baby stroller, it's safer to take the elevator.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM

It appears DC had a campaign to educate people on this concept several years ago.

At Last, Metro Has a Message for 'Escalumps'

DCist: Add One More Word to Metro's Vocabulary

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
do you ever get the people who are riding the escalator ahead of you (either up or down) and when they get off, they sorta stand there daydreaming (or thinking about which way they want to go); meanwhile, your still going forward, and if they do not move soon, you will totally bump into them. I have had this happen and its pretty scary, I've actually held my arm out to push them so that I dont collide into them. also, another time or two, someone had a cart and the wheel got stuck in the escalator, meanwile, i am coming toward them and I was truly afraid I was going to collide into thier cart because since it was stuck they couldn't get it out in time. but at the last minute, they did. Scary!!!! I dont want to fall.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
do you ever get the people who are riding the escalator ahead of you (either up or down) and when they get off, they sorta stand there daydreaming (or thinking about which way they want to go); meanwhile, your still going forward, and if they do not move soon, you will totally bump into them. I have had this happen and its pretty scary, I've actually held my arm out to push them so that I dont collide into them. also, another time or two, someone had a cart and the wheel got stuck in the escalator, meanwile, i am coming toward them and I was truly afraid I was going to collide into thier cart because since it was stuck they couldn't get it out in time. but at the last minute, they did. Scary!!!! I dont want to fall.
Yes! This I see all of the time, and it drives me NUTS. They don't seem to realize there's a steadily moving stream of people behind them at the top of a precipice that can't possibly stop. The only recourse in this situation is to yell "Look out!", and then a shove may be necessary to avoid people falling down the escalator.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yes! This I see all of the time, and it drives me NUTS. They don't seem to realize there's a steadily moving stream of people behind them at the top of a precipice that can't possibly stop. The only recourse in this situation is to yell "Look out!", and then a shove may be necessary to avoid people falling down the escalator.
And here's the problem.

If I had to guess (sorry, no quotes, facts, surveys, links... just pure conjecture), the people who stand at the bottom/top of the escalator four out of five, maybe even nine out of ten times, are the people who also stand on the left side of a 2+ person wide escalator.

And the problem?... well, more like two problems:

1. Lack of situational awareness.

2. And more broadly, a lack of empathy.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
do you ever get the people who are riding the escalator ahead of you (either up or down) and when they get off, they sorta stand there daydreaming
I haven't really experienced that on escalators, but I have had to deal with people exiting elevators who stop right in the doorway while I'm trying to exit right behind them. Not nearly as dangerous as on an escalator, I suppose, but every bit as annoying. What a silly place to stand and pause! Get out of the way and let other people exit.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's a weird kind of narcissism. "Well, I'm not using the escalator anymore, so I guess it no longer exists."

Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I haven't really experienced that on escalators, but I have had to deal with people exiting elevators who stop right in the doorway while I'm trying to exit right behind them. Not nearly as dangerous as on an escalator, I suppose, but every bit as annoying. What a silly place to stand and pause! Get out of the way and let other people exit.
Who wants to start an "outstanding achievement in the field of ignorance" competition/award? Forget reality programming, this would be fabulously entertaining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago