Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM

33 posts, read 116,604 times

Advertisements

Here is some Chicago slang.

Whatdown?: It means the same as "whats up" or "whats going on".

Joe: A generic term to call a person without using their real name. "What up joe? What you finna be on?

Charlie: Another generic term to call a person without using their real name. "Come on charlie, I know you got a bill on you."

Send It Up: It means to act wild. "Im finna send it up in here if they dont give me my sh it!"

Tweeking: To do something dumb or retarded. "That boy must be tweeking. Did you see him drop that milk?"

J-Down: It means to do something or get something down. "Imma j down on her tomorrow."

Japping Off: To get angry. "Ole girl came in here japping off."

Broke Of: Means to tilt your hat to the side. "He got his hat broke off to the left."

Bustdown: A *****/****.

Bussa: Short form for the word "bustdown".

Juke: A dance where the girl grinds on the dude.

Juking: Can also mean fun or wild. "That party last night was juking." or "We was up in that ****** juking."

Footwork: A dance style that focuses on moving your feet in coordinated motions.

On Dirt: To do something sneaky, underhanded, and bad. "You on dirt".

Lame: A weak person or thing. "You be hanging out wit some lame azz people."

The Strip: A block associated wit gangs and drugs. "Come find me on the strip."

The Low End: Everything from Roosevelt Road down to 55th Street.

Wild 100's: Area of the CHI

K-Town: Area on Westside where all streets start wit 'K".

L-Town: Another area of Westside where all streets start wit "L".

Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Looks like ebonics to me.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Nope, it's slang.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Nope, it's slang.
Yeah black slang. I would not consider what this guy posted to be total ebonics,but there is some ebonic action thrown in for good measure.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 PM

33 posts, read 116,604 times
On Chief: Phrase when you swear not to lie. "On chief Imma get you your money tomorrow".

On Everything I Love: Another swearing phrase. "On everything I love I didnt eat your cake."

Mobbed: When somebody gets jumped or beat by many. "Come around here and get your azz mobbed."

Guy: Generic word to call your male friend. "Me and my guy just went to Burger King". "If my guy fight then Im fighting too."

The Show: What we call the movies. "Why go to the show when I can bootlegg?"

Vega: Short term for a Garcia y Vega cigar that we empty out and put weed in. "I sent his azz to the store to get me a vega and he bought back some chips instead!"

Black: Short term for a Black and Mild cigar, which is another cigar that can be unrolled and re-rerolled to hold marijuana.

Mid: Commercial weed. "We smoked some good mid last night."

Dub Sack: $20 worth of weed. "If you throw in 10 and I throw in 10 then we can cop a dub sack."

Fin: Means the number five. Many of my Black P. Stone friends also refer to a fin as five dollars like: "Them hotdogs cost me a fin."

Bill: A one dollar bill. "Im broke joe. All I got is a bill in my pocket."

Raw: Something good or great. "I just bought me some raw azz gear."

The Nine: 79th street, which is where I live. "You can catch me on the nine by Kedzie".

Scrape: A word we was saying a couple years back which meant to beat someone up physically. "I bet you Ill scrape his azz in a fight."

Moes: Another term to call a Stone. "I just rode by Foster Park where the Moes be."

Lord: Word to call a VL. "What up Lord?" "Come here Lord." "You tweeking Lord."

Foes/4's: Short for 4CH. "My uncle be riding wit the Foes from the Eastside."

Snakes: Word to call a Mickey Cobra member. "We got into it wit some Snakes on Cottage Grove yesterday."

Deck: A deck is a Chicago term for a set. Some decks have nicknames and others are known by their street numbers/name. "The GDz had a deck up in the Taylors called Vulture City."

Violation: Punishment for breaking a rule. "Joe, you in violation right now."

V: Short term for violation. "You gon catch a V if you keep acting like that."

Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
This is not common Chicago slang. This is specific to your group, hood, whatever. But it ain't no Chitown slang, that's for sure.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
could be that "Chicago Slang" is a generational thing. When I grew up it was "youse guys"; "prairie"; "front room"; "gangway"; that sort of thing. . . . I'll bet it's changed quite a bit in the old neighborhood!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
This is not common Chicago slang. This is specific to your group, hood, whatever. But it ain't no Chitown slang, that's for sure.
No that was Chicago slang to the fullest. Same with other long list the other guy posted up before him. Me n my boys use those words everyday.

also, don't forget "square", which means cigarrette. A common term u'll hear at parties when someone wants a cigarrette is "bum a loose square?" Also, Joe is jus a different pronounciation of the word "yo", when me n boys write each other, we spell at as "jo". It's got more lisspy sound to it too, more like "jsshhyo", instead of a hard "j", if i had to spell it out. Also get rid of the "h" in jus about every word that uses it. Everything these two dudes above stated tho is real Chicago talk.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
It might be 'hood' slang, but it's certainly not slang I hear around here, and I was interested to read it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
It might be 'hood' slang, but it's certainly not slang I hear around here, and I was interested to read it.
Well I guess the median would be it's Chicago hood slang. Each hood in each city got's there own slang. like "dun" in NYC or "mane" in memphis for example.

And "square" is not hood slang, everybody says "square", same with not using the "h" in words and replacing "th" with "d".

But on a different note, my dad loved to use the word "jagoff" when driving, that's where u hear the word the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago