Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times

Advertisements

When I go back to LA and tell a stranger I live in Chicago, the response is invariably "Oh," or a bunch of questions about the weather. One person asked me if I'd been to Sears Tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Not from Chicago, but I take a vacation there every 2 years with my wife.

In So Fla, most people react very surprised when I tell them I am going to spend a week in CHI and neither my wife nor I have family in Chicago. Mostly it's Chicago is famous for the cold in So Fla and yes, it also has a "crime" fame (but it makes sense, I guess. So Fla is also crime ridden, so they might pay attention to crime more than other US cities).

But it goes back to what some said here: most of people who look at me like I am nut for taking a week of vacation every 2 yrs. in CHI, never actually went to Chicago, so they don't know anything other than "it's very violent and cold as hell".

They have no idea of the architecture, the food, the shopping, the museums and more than anything (to me), the neighborhoods. And those few who went to CHI either spent their time in a hotel for a convention or walked up and down Michigan Ave (but then they complained about CHI being "expensive and touristy")....

As others said in this forum in other posts, CHI somehow doesn't get enough consideration in the US, unless someone goes there. I went for work to LA and everybody was "wow, you lucky sob". I go to Chicago and many are like "uh? Why?".

Funny enough, Chicago seems to have a better reputation in Europe. I am going back in June this year and will meet a my buddy and his wife from Italy and when I suggested to spend the week together in Chicago instead of West Palm Beach for a change, they were very excited.
TBH with the exception of arrogant New Yorkers, Chicago is well liked and well known on the East Coast.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
That's its a racist segregated city.
The only people who say that are people who have experience living in Chicago.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Atlanta? What do you care what a bunch of Hillbillys think? They're probably the first generation in their family to not have hookworm and pellagra.
Lets be nice!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,503 times
Good topic!

If I tell people I'm from Chicago or vicinity, I typically hear about: Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan, Da Bears, Cubs, O'Hare, pizza, weather, fast drivers/traffic, politicians, taxes and restrictive laws (mainly about firearms but other laws too).

Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM

264 posts, read 280,519 times
When I tell people I moved from there (I hope you guys don't think I'm TOO lame for leaving for my job!), the number one reply asks which pizza place is the best or if I can eat pizza anywhere outside of Chicago, since I've had the best. They're right, it is the best!!

I get questions about if I lived downtown or why I left, etc. One person sticks out to me because he wanted to know where Obama lived and if I know the area.

Almost no negative feedback is given to me, but they will sometimes ask about the wind (naturally from the nickname) or snow. I tell them I like all seasons in Chicago, but winter can be cold.

Overall, aside from a rare hater once in a great while, I find the perception to be very positive.

Woohoo, Chicago!!! I'll be back soon!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
USA
"Have you seen Jordan play?"

Overseas:
Michael Jordan

Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 AM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
My grandpa told me to watch out for Al Capone in complete seriousness when I left for here in the summer.

Funny in a he was on his last grasp of sanity kinda way :/

Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 AM

10 posts, read 22,530 times
Overall, It looks like Chicago needs to work on its image. As a transplant from out East, with lengthy pit-stops in Virginia, Delaware, Pittsburgh and Michigan, I think the reason many people disrespect the city is because of it's political corruption. I personally don't know how generations of Chicagoan's can vote for corrupt representation like the Daley's, Madigan's, Berrios', dumbo-Quinn, Stroger's, corrupt Alderman etc...for decades on end!

I think Americans look down on Chicagoan's for being spineless and stupid for repeatedly electing the very people who continue to enslave you. Please note, this is only my perception but I hear it from others more so than not. I personally have never lived in or visited another city where someone could get away with the things that your politicians get away with. Specifically speaking of Mayor Daley selling the parking meters on the backs of the tax payers and the Alderman rubber stamp it. This happens with every single corrupt bill that your crooked leaders propose. And then Chicagoan's put them right back into office all over again. This is literally insane.

Because of the internet, Chicago's reputation is now mainstream. Crime only added to it's poor image. And just because open-air drug dealers and gang-banger's control South and West sides street corners in the city, doesn't mean that those areas are excluded within Chicago. As you all know, the media refers to it "as Chicago." I've lived outside of Detroit and even Detroit doesn't have open-air drug markets. Chicago has systematic problems that need to be permanently addressed. No other city in America would stand for that sort of criminal behavior (selling parking meters) yet Chicagoan's seem to embrace it. Chicago embraces what any other normal American city would be livid about. Or if they don't embrace the status quo, they fear the local politicians who they elected...again! Or I continue to hear, "it doesn't do any good to vote...this is just Chicago, It'll never change." To the rest of the country, this means you're weak, spineless, scared and enslaved. You're quitters and this is why you don't get respect. Like the ATL guy mentioned above, I think a lot of people think you bring on your own problems. It's laughable!

For now, I'm enjoying my time in Chicago but I could never root myself in a city that lacks the intellect that most American cities offer. Especially when this country offers an array of places to live that actually function by a normal way of life. Notice, the many number of transplants who've tried living in Chicago but most people soon leave because after spending a fair amount of time here, they understand the real mechanics of the city. Very few successful people are going to continue to live in a city that doesn't give them the most for there money. Successful people do not want to live in a city that is politically controlled by extreme corruption...especially when the political corruption tax is being balanced on their backs. If Chicago is to ever get positive reputation in this country, then Chicagoan's have to begin making intelligent choices and break the chains of slavery. Chicagoan's have to stand up and demand change or overthrow the government. Americans are not stupid and we know what's going on in Chicago. It's in all publications every day. If Chicagoan's want respect from the other 49 states then do something that shows your strength. Stand up and fight the status-quo. Stop electing the leaders who keep you enslaved.

Last edited by pipedreams2; 04-22-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I agree that the political stuff is messed up and it's amazing how some people could re-elect some people. How politicians could get away with so much and the like. However, I disagree with you about intellect. Although there are many small minded people in Chicago, there are many, many, many intelligent ones and it's unfair to say the city lacks the intellect that most American cities offer. I have lived in many places in the US, and spent time in many others, and while it's not THE most intelligent place I've ever lived, it's above average in at least the more educated areas.

As far as the "open air drug markets" comment goes...if you really think Detroit or any other big city in the US doesn't have an open air drug market and Chicago is one of the only ones, then you really need to get out more. This is not unique to Chicago in the least. You can find it in NYC, Los Angeles, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Boston, etc. I remember when I was in Boston when I was 16 years old and someone in downtown Boston came up to me and tried to sell me Cocaine. I didn't even look like anyone who would even be a user of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago