Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams2 View Post
Overall, It looks like Chicago needs to work on its image. As a transplant from out East, with lengthy pit-stops in Virginia, Delaware, Pittsburgh and Michigan, I think the reason many people disrespect the city is because of it's political corruption. I personally don't know how generations of Chicagoan's can vote for corrupt representation like the Daley's, Madigan's, Berrios', dumbo-Quinn, Stroger's, corrupt Alderman etc...for decades on end!

I think Americans look down on Chicagoan's for being spineless and stupid for repeatedly electing the very people who continue to enslave you. Please note, this is only my perception but I hear it from others more so than not. I personally have never lived in or visited another city where someone could get away with the things that your politicians get away with. Specifically speaking of Mayor Daley selling the parking meters on the backs of the tax payers and the Alderman rubber stamp it. This happens with every single corrupt bill that your crooked leaders propose. And then Chicagoan's put them right back into office all over again. This is literally insane.

Because of the internet, Chicago's reputation is now mainstream. Crime only added to it's poor image. And just because open-air drug dealers and gang-banger's control South and West sides street corners in the city, doesn't mean that those areas are excluded within Chicago. As you all know, the media refers to it "as Chicago." I've lived outside of Detroit and even Detroit doesn't have open-air drug markets. Chicago has systematic problems that need to be permanently addressed. No other city in America would stand for that sort of criminal behavior (selling parking meters) yet Chicagoan's seem to embrace it. Chicago embraces what any other normal American city would be livid about. Or if they don't embrace the status quo, they fear the local politicians who they elected...again! Or I continue to hear, "it doesn't do any good to vote...this is just Chicago, It'll never change." To the rest of the country, this means you're weak, spineless, scared and enslaved. You're quitters and this is why you don't get respect. Like the ATL guy mentioned above, I think a lot of people think you bring on your own problems. It's laughable!

For now, I'm enjoying my time in Chicago but I could never root myself in a city that lacks the intellect that most American cities offer. Especially when this country offers an array of places to live that actually function by a normal way of life. Notice, the many number of transplants who've tried living in Chicago but most people soon leave because after spending a fair amount of time here, they understand the real mechanics of the city. Very few successful people are going to continue to live in a city that doesn't give them the most for there money. Successful people do not want to live in a city that is politically controlled by extreme corruption...especially when the political corruption tax is being balanced on their backs. If Chicago is to ever get positive reputation in this country, then Chicagoan's have to begin making intelligent choices and break the chains of slavery. Chicagoan's have to stand up and demand change or overthrow the government. Americans are not stupid and we know what's going on in Chicago. It's in all publications every day. If Chicagoan's want respect from the other 49 states then do something that shows your strength. Stand up and fight the status-quo. Stop electing the leaders who keep you enslaved.

You are aware that the rest of the country elected a crook from Chicago as president, no? And they did it TWICE.

Detroit does not have open air drug markets? The first time I went to Detroit for a Sox v Tigers game, there was a guy smoking crack, right off the highway exit into downtown.

No city would sell their parking meters? I just read that Sacramento is trying to do that, in the hopes of building a new downtown stadium for their basketball team.

I love when coasties just blather with out doing research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM

502 posts, read 718,142 times
They ask me "which side do you support?" (cubs or sox)

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 22,546 times
Again, here come the excuses...

Listen folks. I'm not the one with the image problem. Chicago is.

I'm simply answering the question and reiterating what I hear people say about Chicago all the time. Even Detroit receives more positive media exposure from around the world (in it's current state) than Chicago receives these days. Because Detroit is a tough city with loads of pride. Michigan and Detroit are constantly being referenced in the news for various reasons. But at least they're getting exposure. Sports, automotive, music, Pure Michigan, Detroit the good and bad. The Detroit region can't be all that bad because when Detroiter's make it, they stay in Michigan. When Chicagoan's make it, the hit the first thing smoking out of town and rarely return. This means Illinois is dysfunctional and undesirable. Plain and simple.

People from Michigan, New York and out West laugh at Chicago/Illinois because it's a cesspool pool of corruption and AGAIN all I'm hearing are excuses. I mean Chicago's ok. It's definitely not horrible and it's a great place to be for a few years but it's certainly not worth laying roots. I'd want my children to grow up in a stronger and more democratic society. A society that is more open minded and thinks more freely than here. I wouldn't raise a family in a city where people live under a dictatorship.

If Chicago wants the same level of respect as the other big cities then stop supporting the status-quo. Plain and simple. Otherwise, deal with being a mediocre big American city.

Notice, I chose Detroit as a comparison. Boston, San Fran, New York or D.C would be an unfair comparison.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
I agreed with you about the electing people to office, so that's not an excuse. The open air drug markets comment is true - you simply need to get out more. It exists in every major US city and saying it's just a Chicago thing is completely false.

As far as the corruption thing goes...it is getting much better, at least from what I see. Some people might not like Rahm, but he's gotten rid of some of the stupid things that Daley put in place. I specifically remember something Daley put in place that made it really hard to open up a business in a semi-fast nature. Rahm basically got rid of that and simplified the process back to what it was.

Personally, I almost never feel his. I own a car, but I do have my Illinois license which was very smooth and easy to get. I don't own a business in the state of Illinois/Chicago, but I have friends who do who have complained during Daley, but have told me things are easier and less corrupt in the last few years with some things Rahm has done.

Every major city has political corruption and Chicago historically has more of it, but it seems as if there's less and less lately..at least to a casual on looker like me. I have lived here for a handful of years, and have never thought I was being "enslaved" by my politicians. I have very seldomly thought "why the hell is it like this?" Perhaps I lead a more simple life than others here, but I have barely felt it here. My life has been pretty free here and a lot more free than other US cities I've lived in.

The political corruption image for Chicago is only true of the people old enough to know it too. If you ask an average 30 year old from any other large city in the US, I would guarantee at least 8 or 9 times out of 10, their negative image of Chicago is one of the crime.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM

541 posts, read 913,499 times
Quote:
Again, here come the excuses...

Listen folks. I'm not the one with the image problem. Chicago is.

I'm simply answering the question and reiterating what I hear people say about Chicago all the time. Even Detroit receives more positive media exposure from around the world (in it's current state) than Chicago receives these days. Because Detroit is a tough city with loads of pride. Michigan and Detroit are constantly being referenced in the news for various reasons. But at least they're getting exposure. Sports, automotive, music, Pure Michigan, Detroit the good and bad. The Detroit region can't be all that bad because when Detroiter's make it, they stay in Michigan. When Chicagoan's make it, the hit the first thing smoking out of town and rarely return. This means Illinois is dysfunctional and undesirable. Plain and simple.

People from Michigan, New York and out West laugh at Chicago/Illinois because it's a cesspool pool of corruption and AGAIN all I'm hearing are excuses. I mean Chicago's ok. It's definitely not horrible and it's a great place to be for a few years but it's certainly not worth laying roots. I'd want my children to grow up in a stronger and more democratic society. A society that is more open minded and thinks more freely than here. I wouldn't raise a family in a city where people live under a dictatorship.

If Chicago wants the same level of respect as the other big cities then stop supporting the status-quo. Plain and simple. Otherwise, deal with being a mediocre big American city.

Notice, I chose Detroit as a comparison. Boston, San Fran, New York or D.C would be an unfair comparison.

Im from the East (NY) and have absolutely no idea where the **** you get this from.

Chicago may have a higher level of cronyism and corruption politically-speaking, but we are focused on our own level of corruption.

Nobody is sitting around a Midtown cigar bar saying to themselves "yeah well, at least we're not Chicago." The East Coast is entirely infatuated and concentrated on itself. Other cities are not on our minds.

Mediocre big American city? If Chicago is mediocre, then that doesnt say much about anywhere else in this country.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,212,430 times
Man, some of you meet some really clueless people. You should invite them to visit. I've never had any friend visit Chicago and not like it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,212,430 times
Quote:
People from Michigan, New York and out West laugh at Chicago/Illinois
People from Michigan laugh at Chicago? Is that why they're always visiting and moving here?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
People from Michigan laugh at Chicago? Is that why they're always visiting and moving here?
Good point, on any given day I stroll down the streets in my neighborhood, 30% of the license plates on cars parked in the area are from Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
My friend from NYC first visited Chicago just a few months ago. He liked it so much, he got a job here and recently moved here. My Uncle, who's originally from NYC and lives in LA, liked Chicago so much he's often said he'd like to move here. My mom, originally from just outside of Manhattan, thinks Chicago is pretty great. My girlfriends' friends from Manhattan visited Chicago for the first time a few months ago. They liked it a lot and I heard one of them a few times say "Weird, for a minute I thought I was in midtown" and said they would be returning in a few months to hang out in Chicago more.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,506,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Man, some of you meet some really clueless people. You should invite them to visit. I've never had any friend visit Chicago and not like it.
That's what I've noticed also. The people that have actually visited seem to like it, it's the people that haven't been here or visited that are usually negative, predominately people outside of the midwest in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago