Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Jesus-- you have TWO cars while living in Logan Square on an income of $27,500 each? Uhh, yeah, no wonder you don't feel middle class. You're not going to unless you get rid of a car or two, move to a more affordable neighborhood, or make more money. It sounds like your income level is probably temporary given your ages and education status, though, so that's the good news.

Your age helps explain your high auto insurance rate, by the way, but I still don't understand why it's quite THAT high unless you have a bad driving record or are paying for comprehensive on an expensive car. I would shop around for a lower insurance rate and/or get a cheaper car.
I agree that they should get rid of a car or two, depending on where you work and the daily or weekly lifestyle which is needed. Logan Square is not unaffordable though. The OP never specified what type of apartment (i.e. # of bedrooms) they're even at. Maybe it's a 2 bedroom? Definitely not the cheapest neighborhood, but it's still cheaper than anywhere downtown, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Park, most of Lakeview, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM

527 posts, read 600,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree that they should get rid of a car or two, depending on where you work and the daily or weekly lifestyle which is needed.
You may have missed the "or" in my post. I agree that they could stay in LS if they get rid of a car or two. If they're going to keep their car(s), however, there are much more affordable neighborhoods where you're not paying a premium to live near the Blue Line in the latest hipster enclave. Yes, of course it's still cheaper than the places you listed, which are pretty much the most expensive neighborhoods in the city, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone live in those places on $27K each with two cars, either.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 PM

527 posts, read 600,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I make $81K as a single adult and still can't afford to live in my own 1 bedroom place in a nice area comfortably.
This is difficult for me to imagine, unless your definition of "1 bedroom place in a nice area" is limited to luxury high rises, and you have a mountain of debt. You can live anywhere in Chicago quite comfortably on $81K for one person if all you want is a 1 BR apt.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
This is difficult for me to imagine, unless your definition of "1 bedroom place in a nice area" is limited to luxury high rises, and you have a mountain of debt. You can live anywhere in Chicago quite comfortably on $81K for one person if all you want is a 1 BR apt.
Totally agreed. I guess I could see it if they had tons of debt, live in a luxury high rise, and had a car and paid for high rise style parking and possibly were leasing said car, but...

I'm roughly speaking from experience here but at $81K/year even after a 401K, a little bit to a stock program, medical insurance, state/federal taxes, as well as social security and all that jazz, you'll be getting $4000-$4500/month. If you rent out a $1200/month 1 bedroom apartment, have debts where you pay $1500/month, and have a car with $75/month insurance while paying $100/month for gas, and have car payments/lease payment of $400/month while using a $100/month ventra card then you'll still have $575 - $1075/month left over for savings, food, and what not. That is a pretty big debt payment to have too unless you have student loans up the ass.

Using that $4000-$4500/month as a baseline, which is fairly accurate at that salary even after taxes, 401k, a little bit of stock, etc - if you paid $1700/month for an apartment, had no car but used the CTA all the time for $100/month, had $1000/month in debt payments, and took $150/month worth of cabs, you would still have $1050-$1550/month after. Of course, it would add more if you had a car, especially one you didn't own.

But $81K is a very comfortable salary in Chicago unless you're pissing it away. Even if you're saving tons for retirement instead of debt, then I have to wonder why you aren't living in a less luxurious setting.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Sheesh, be a little consistent ...

Quote:
Quote:
I see middle class as being able to live comfortably and still afford to contribute some money towards retirement. In order to do those things and live in Chicago proper you need to make at least $80K for a couple. A full family of four would not be middle class on this income IMO.

I make $81K as a single adult and still can't afford to live in my own 1 bedroom place in a nice area comfortably. I would be a slave to my mortgage, or rent if I did. I would guess $100K would definitely be middle class. Lower class definitely starts around $50K. Anything between $50K-$100K is open to interpretation depending on your family size and personal opinion on what middle/lower class is.
Seems that they are more extolling the virtues of putting some money aside for retirement as well as living with a roommate or in just a studio than saying that they are truly trying to make a case that they are truly struggling...

Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM

^ Context is good, but $81K/year is still a great salary even for setting aside for retirement though that entirely depends on what your personal timetable is for retirement. If you're 25 and want to retired by the time you're 40, then yeah, but then again you shouldn't be paying tons of money for rent if you want to retire that early.

If you paid $1500/month for housing and had small debt of say $100/month, while having a $300/month car payment, $75/month for insurance, $100/month for gas, $200/month for parking, $100/month for the CTA, $100/month for cell phone, and $150/month for groceries....that's $1375-$1875/month after that.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Seems that they are more extolling the virtues of putting some money aside for retirement as well as living with a roommate or in just a studio than saying that they are truly trying to make a case that they are truly struggling...
Quote:
I COULD put less money into retirement and I COULD go out less and spend less at the bar. I COULD have a cheaper car and I COULD go without my nice clothes, etc. I CHOOSE to spend less money on my mortgage so I can afford those things. My personal preference on what I spend my money on is my choice, I don't need a lot of living space, my goal is to be home as little as possible.

As I mentioned in my post, I would guess I am lower middle class as a single adult. I do live very comfortably in Chicago on what I make.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
I see middle class as being able to live comfortably and still afford to contribute some money towards retirement. In order to do those things and live in Chicago proper you need to make at least $80K for a couple. A full family of four would not be middle class on this income IMO.

I make $81K as a single adult and still can't afford to live in my own 1 bedroom place in a nice area comfortably. I would be a slave to my mortgage, or rent if I did. I would guess $100K would definitely be middle class. Lower class definitely starts around $50K. Anything between $50K-$100K is open to interpretation depending on your family size and personal opinion on what middle/lower class is.
Quote:
I COULD put less money into retirement and I COULD go out less and spend less at the bar. I COULD have a cheaper car and I COULD go without my nice clothes, etc. I CHOOSE to spend less money on my mortgage so I can afford those things. My personal preference on what I spend my money on is my choice, I don't need a lot of living space, my goal is to be home as little as possible.

As I mentioned in my post, I would guess I am lower middle class as a single adult. I do live very comfortably in Chicago on what I make.
A single person with an annual income of $81K is not lower middle class.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A single person with an annual income of $81K is not lower middle class.
No kidding. As a single adult, $81K even in Chicago is solidly middle class - a good amount above lower middle class. Maybe he thinks he lives like a lower middle class person because of how much disposable income he has after everything but that's his own problem, which he said he chooses to do. $81K is a good salary for a single person in Chicago

Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
As I mentioned in my post, I would guess I am lower middle class as a single adult.
As others have pointed out, this is a ridiculous statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago