Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 11,408 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 year old Austin resident who loves my neighborhood. Let me give you some of my background. Lived on Cicero and Chicago Ave in the 80's and went to a neighborhood school then transferred North to Dever in a Polish neighborhood. It was a diverse school but mostly white.

Then I moved to A near west suburb called Broadview. It was nice but I love the city. When I graduated college I moved back to Austin in a beautiful mixed neighborhood called the Island. I loved this place it made me believe in urban gentrification and showed me how great the city had become.

Anyway now I live on Jackson by the golf course of Columbus and I love it. I just don't understand why so many people hate this neighborhood. I'm guessing its race and crime!? Honestly I've lived in Austin for 10 yrs and never felt unsafe... Maybe I'm just streetwise! Some of the crime stats are unfair because it's over 100k plus people that live here and it's the cities largest and most populous.. It's Chicago we are talking about..

Why are so many people negative about this area???

Last edited by Jbeardmba; 09-08-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Get real -- when a neighborhood averages more than two motor vehicle thefts PER DAY, more than TEN thefts & robberies per day and eye popping arrests for prostitution & narcotics and prostitution it does not take a paranoid "safety Sally" to understand why this is not a nice place -- Austin -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Even if you try to slice and dice the data based of size and poverty factors it really does little to help explain away the horror of Austin -- http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/us/chicago-crime-gap/

Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM

So the size of the neighborhood isn't a factor? It's the largest neighborhood so wouldn't the stats be higher then all the others. It's also such a large neighborhood that it has neighborhoods inside of it like the island and galewood. Please do diligent research so we can have a more informed conversation. Let's not compare apples to oranges.

If it's not north or downtown most Chicagoans really have no clue!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Listen PAL, I have friends that grew up in Galewood and dad used to own a commercial property in Hermosa.
You can't "explain away" these kinds of crime statistics. They are horrible.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,346,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeardmba View Post
So the size of the neighborhood isn't a factor? It's the largest neighborhood so wouldn't the stats be higher then all the others. It's also such a large neighborhood that it has neighborhoods inside of it like the island and galewood. Please do diligent research so we can have a more informed conversation. Let's not compare apples to oranges.

I commend you for loving your neighborhood, but most people on this board aren't talking about total crime counts -- they're talking about rates. Rates account for the differences in population and make it easier to compare neighborhoods, apples to apples.

Austin -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeardmba View Post

If you look at the rate it'll be higher in Austin too. Rate is the number of crimes that happen to X number of people per 100,000. So that is an accurate predictor of how likely you will be victimized. Austin also lacks amenities, good schools, curb appeal, and pretty much every other aspect people who pay big money for property look at.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM

And what I'm trying to tell you all is that I live a stone throw from Oak Park 2 blocks. There are really nice parts to Austin. The stats do it no justice when you are clumping together such a huge neighborhood. It's so big one side of the neighborhood can be completely different then the other. It's the size of like 4 or 5 city neighborhoods.

Please look up Galewood and/or the Island.

They really should break Austin up into smaller neighborhoods! It's too confusing for the google centric vast majority to understand.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,691 times
I'm sure there are some happy places in Baghdad and Mogadishu; doesn't mean they aren't overwhelmingly troubled areas

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Well welcome to Chiraq!!! It's tough for a young urban professional in Chicago especially when ur black and I don't wanna live north. I want to stay by my family who lives in Broadview and mostly west.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 AM

103 posts, read 151,246 times
I was looking at moving to the far reaches of Austin about 2 years ago. Looked at the Island, and areas between Austin and Central. Never followed through, but I know what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago