Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
By the way, dumb students have dumb parents.

Asian parents can take their kids to the public schools, mixed with the other races, and if the Asian students perform better than everyone else, it's really not due to the schools and teachers, but the parents.

Think about it.

If Jewish parents had their kids raised in the Chicago Public Schools (which certainly saves them some $$), those Jewish kids will still turn out smarter than everyone else.

Dumb kids are caused by dumb parents.
Lumping all asians together is actually not very smart of you. There are different asian cultures and different kids perform well or poorly. One example is the Vietnamese kids who often do not do so well in American schools

http://www.csos.jhu.edu/CRESPAR/TechReports/report8.pdf

Quote:
High academic achievement has been so closely linked in the public’s mind with Asian American students that it is difficult for many to think of them as at-risk students. Much of the literature certainly reflects this phenomenon. Just as literature on African American students is skewed toward school failure, that on Asian American students is skewed toward high achievement.
Quote:
Southeast Asian students are more likely to be at risk of school failure or of dropping out than students of other Asian American ethnic groups. This has to do, at least in part, with the hardships and trauma these students and/or their parents suffered in battlefields, refugee detention camps, and boat rides to freedom as a result of the political turmoil in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos
Jewish children, I suspect, are being pulled out of the Chicago public schools due to the bullying that these children may receive (even at high achieving schools)

Chicago Public Schools Students Play "Kill the Jews"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 PM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy013 View Post
My fix would be to reform the financial health of the city. Fully fund pensions and convert to 401K plus social security going forward. (We're dreaming, right?) Balance the budget(s) long term. Build up a rainy day fund.
This. Once the finances are fixed, the city can issue bonds for capital works just like cities should. Then could come the construction of new rail lines and so forth. Because right now: what a mess!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Less segregation, less racism, less poverty, less crime, better schools (all of these are related).

Less corruption, lower taxes, lower rent, no Rahm.

More focus on the arts. Less obsession with sports.

Less suburbification/brofication of the city.

Oh, and yes, public transportation, including a further west train to connect the spokes. If that can't be done, then at least a rapid bus along Ashland and/or Western to connect them.

More bike lanes or some other sort of system that allows people to bicycle without being hit by cars.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
A return of Chicago's historic manufacturing base.....and a Red Line--Blue Line express bus connection (along Addison).

Old 11-18-2014, 08:31 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Under the Aqua building going all the way to like state street and connecting to some of the nicer hotels is an underground tunnel. You can pretty much get from navy pier to state wihtout stepping outside. I think it would be cool to have more of those.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 PM

216 posts, read 314,116 times
I've said this before, but I would like to see a really awesome night market here, like they have in many Asian cities. Imagine a really big lot, about a football field in size, that is completely empty during the day. But at night, the whole thing transforms into a complete circus. Tons of vendors just flood in and set up shop. Tons of street food stands, curio sellers, carnival games, etc. Just good clean fun for the whole family.

It would have to be reasonably close to downtown, with EL access. Maybe somewhere along Lake St on the near west side? That way you have Green Line access and the bustling Randolph St corridor just to the south. There seem to be a lot of underutilized industrial lots out there for something like this.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:07 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
I've said this before, but I would like to see a really awesome night market here, like they have in many Asian cities. Imagine a really big lot, about a football field in size, that is completely empty during the day. But at night, the whole thing transforms into a complete circus. Tons of vendors just flood in and set up shop. Tons of street food stands, curio sellers, carnival games, etc. Just good clean fun for the whole family.

It would have to be reasonably close to downtown, with EL access.
Isn't this Navy Pier, only at night?

Chicago has plenty of seasonal carnivals, usually lasting 4 days per event.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 PM

425 posts, read 431,936 times
Since it's been mentioned already, I will jump in to support CPS. For what it's worth, I consider myself a researcher in the field of education, and have worked in an abundance of CPS schools.

As for how money could improve some (not solve all) of our public school problems:

1. Build more schools (particularly high schools)
2. Hire more teachers and faculty (counselors, nurses, librarians, etc)

Both of the above will improve education in every way (academics, health, social intelligence, etc)

3. Refurbish most of the schools in existence, particularly high schools. Better facilities (everything from classrooms to bathrooms). More resources (laptops, technology, supplies, furniture, etc).

Again, not only do you improve academics, but health and well-being, which are easily just as important as academics (and not surprisingly, contribute to academics).

4. Professional development for all teachers and faculty, including principals, admins, up to superintendents and politicians. Even for parents. Of course, what exactly is meant by "professional development" will be disagreed upon by many people, but essentially it should be backed by the best research in the field of education and developmental psychology, rather than political and corporate interest groups. That would be a good start.

Not surprisingly, if we improve education, a lot of other problems will "fix" themselves. Better educated people can solve problems better and, in some peoples' view of education, will make people better not only academically, but socially... and in every way really. More healthy and empowered students become more healthy and empowered adults, and the sky becomes the limit for what we can do with our city.

Finally I must say that the answer is not more "selective enrollment" schools. The answer to better public schools, rather, is based on the principle of equity. That means offering more funds to the schools that need it most (usually schools with the most kids in poverty) -- not creating a few more schools where only 1% of students will go.

Last edited by chiMT; 11-18-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Financially induce Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon to build huge branches in Englewood, and require them to have paid in-house training and internships for high school students, prioritizing admission for students dwelling in the immediate neighborhood.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
Well, financially fixing the city would probably be the 'best' thing to come from unlimited money, as it would have an impact on everything (including schools and transit).

But since I'm dreaming... I'd build a world class ski resort in Gary, In. I'm pretty sure all the $ in the world can build a mountain the rivals CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago