Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM
rbj rbj started this thread

14 posts, read 50,649 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Humboldt Park between the streets of Western and California and Chicago and Augusta. We have driven around at many different parts of the day and haven't noticed in this particular area any of the negative comments in previous posts regarding Humboldt Park (i.e- crime, gangs, drugs, etc). We have also noticed many new builds in this area and are curious to receive feedback from people who might know this area better than we do. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbj View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Humboldt Park between the streets of Western and California and Chicago and Augusta. We have driven around at many different parts of the day and haven't noticed in this particular area any of the negative comments in previous posts regarding Humboldt Park (i.e- crime, gangs, drugs, etc). We have also noticed many new builds in this area and are curious to receive feedback from people who might know this area better than we do. Thanks for any feedback.
The area is far from being very safe. There are plenty of gangs around there. If you have a tough skin and are looking to invest for the future and be a pioneer, go right ahead. Just do not pay too much for that muffler.

Try driving and walking around at night.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
rbj rbj started this thread

14 posts, read 50,649 times
Thanks for your response, do you happen to live in around the area? If so, I'm curious if you have noticed the neighborhood change for the positive even though it is still a little rough right now.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbj View Post
Thanks for your response, do you happen to live in around the area? If so, I'm curious if you have noticed the neighborhood change for the positive even though it is still a little rough right now.
Well, I used to live a few blocks away. I have friends that live/have lived close to there. The crime is not really getting a whole lot better near the park.

I will tell you if you go east of Western crime is not half as bad. Almost anything west of Western around there is still pretty bad.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM

44 posts, read 198,190 times
I never had a problem. I walked my dog in that park almost every night in the summer, as well as relaxed and spent lots of nice days there (and I am a single female, alone). I was usually near Kedzie/Division. I still go there all the time to eat from the food truck, although I live on the south side now.
But honestly I am not afraid ANYWHERE in this entire city...

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
I've had two friends mugged and one friend beat up by a group of kids (yes, kids) over in the Humboldt park area in the past year. I've also had friends that have lived there with no problems whatsoever. It is a mixed bag.

... and Petronilla, while I applaud your confidence, be careful hon, I've lived here for a long time (I grew up in the s. burbs and have been in the city since 92, but also spent time here in the 80's), and my father spent many years working in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods (and has been mugged at gunpoint), so while there is no need to be paranoid, being streetwise and exercising caution is certainly wise.

...and I have no qualms whatsoever in admitting that if I found myself alone in Englewood at 3am, I'd probably be a bit nervous. That doesn't make me stupid or paranoid thankyouverymuch.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
I too have had a few friends mugged in Humboldt Park, and a friend of a friend was murdered in Logan Square in the back staircase of her apartment very close to the Bucktown and Humboldt Park border a few years ago (southeast corner of Logan Sq)...

Humboldt Park can still be pretty rough, although the parts directly adjacent to Wicker Park are definitely a bit safer. It's up to you to decide if you want to be right on the edge of some serious gang activity. I lived in Wicker Park as recently as 2005, and we had serious problems with crime there (although I dont' think this is a typical experience in Wicker Park). So just realize that the west side isn't anything to take lightly, and that you would really need to take some precautions if you lived there.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM

44 posts, read 198,190 times
Hello j33
Well......Im from Ashburn and my entire family was from Englewood (and worked there until retirement), so Im used to it by now (also worked in neighbouring Roseland..). Ive lived on the south side proper my entire life except for a year in Logan Square when my ex-roommate forced me north... Im on Pershing and Ashland now....
Ive been in Englewood at 3am plenty of times (usually for work, although a few times at the club with friends)... Im not usually alone though... Ive walked into some homes there that obviously had an expensive interior decorator! The most beautiful design schemes Ive ever seen! (much better than my junky looking appartment). My best friend lives in Austin so Im always around there too.... Im just used to it and I just see neighbourhoods as people trying to live and make it, just like I am.... Sure, there are people up to no good everywhere.. but the majority of people are just living...
Ive been just about everywhere in this city I guess!
But Im not going to blame you if you are nervous.... Im just not, but I know Im unusual....

Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
Petronilla - I too have been all over the city (not just the northside ... remember I'm a former south-suburbanite, so growing up I had plenty of friends who still had family that lived on the south-side, and I've seen both the good and the bad too, nobody has to convince me that there are nice neighborhoods down there, I too have seen them first hand), but I have also had some unpleasant experiences over the course of my life, so I tend a bit toward caution.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,216,642 times
The area maybe fine, but it is really hard to tell anything about a neighborhood in the wintertime. You need the summertime activity to get a better feel.

Check chicagocrime.org for stats on the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago