Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 AM

4,070 posts, read 7,352,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh and Cleveland don't even have the same manufacturing past. Pittsburgh was steel, Cleveland was Automobiles.
Whaaat? Cleveland had plenty of steel in its manufacturing past. Still has a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 01:19 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,923,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhbyeRham View Post
Uh, I have been there, and it most certainly is far more likely Cleveland than it is like Philly. The people I know from Pittsburgh and elsewhere in Western PA agree with me.
No you've never been to Pittsburgh or either the actual Midwest... Pittsburgh is not Midwestern at ALL! Again being Rust Belt does NOT make you the Midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Whaaat? Cleveland had plenty of steel in its manufacturing past. Still has a little bit.
Ohio yes, Cleveland no... Cleveland was about Automobiles more akin to Detroit than Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not even in each others top 10 cities of population trading partners... Pittsburgh and Cleveland, are not Chicago-Milwaukee, DC Baltimore, or NY Philly in population movement. The Pennsylvania Ohio border may as well be the Berlin wall when it comes to Pittsburgh's interaction with Ohio, historically. As a matter of fact Pittsburgh, if any Ohio city its has/developing closer ties with its Columbus more so than Cleveland. Cleveland is more a trading partner with Detroit.

Philly, Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore ... There is something so similar in feeling about these 4 cities, if one was to visit them all... the difference is Philly and Baltimore have a strong dense East Coast vibe. Cleveland and Detroit share Great Lakes culture. But there is something outside of the dominating AA population, that these 4 cities just feel so somewhat similar.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-06-2018 at 01:47 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 03:44 PM

24,163 posts, read 32,692,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I am not including Great Lakes cities because it is obvious that Chicago shares more in common with the Great Lakes than anywhere else.

BUT, is Chicago more like Philly, NYC, and Boston than it is like Indianapolis, Columbus, or Kansas City? Explain your reasoning, Chicagoans!

This is a toughie!
I said Philly, NYC and Boston.

The Great Lakes cities Cleveland and Detroit - also have more in common with Eastern cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

I will admit that I've never been to Kansas City.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 PM

54 posts, read 33,938 times
Quote:
No you've never been to Pittsburgh or either the actual Midwest...
If you say so. I guess I've had some incredibly vivid dreams and/or hallucinations that lasted for many years, then. Thanks for alerting me so I can see a doctor. I'll make sure to take all my friends from Pittsburgh and the rest of Central/Western PA who agree with me, too, since it's clearly you who is right and everyone else who is wrong.

By the way, I never said the Rust Belt is the Midwest. The Rust Belt (or former manufacturing belt, if you prefer, or Great Lakes Area as I prefer) is certainly a cohesive region, though, part of which falls within the Midwest and part of which falls within the "Northeastern States" (though they are as closer to the corn fields than they are to the coast). The cities within this cohesive region, in the opinion of me and many others (including many posters on this thread) have more in common with each other than they do with the other parts of the Midwest and the coastal areas of the Northeast. (This is because state lines are for the most part, pretty arbitrary, by the way.) That's all I was saying. I don't really see how anyone who has spent time in these areas could logically argue against that, but I'm sure you'll try anyway.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:12 PM

54 posts, read 33,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Quote:
Ohio yes, Cleveland no... Cleveland was about Automobiles more akin to Detroit than Pittsburgh.
https://case.edu/ech/articles/i/iron-and-steel-industry

Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,942,917 times
Quote:
No you've never been to Pittsburgh or either the actual Midwest... Pittsburgh is not Midwestern at ALL! Again being Rust Belt does NOT make you the Midwest.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not even in each others top 10 cities of population trading partners... Pittsburgh and Cleveland, are not Chicago-Milwaukee, DC Baltimore, or NY Philly in population movement. The Pennsylvania Ohio border may as well be the Berlin wall when it comes to Pittsburgh's interaction with Ohio, historically. As a matter of fact Pittsburgh, if any Ohio city its has/developing closer ties with its Columbus more so than Cleveland. Cleveland is more a trading partner with Detroit.

Philly, Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore ... There is something so similar in feeling about these 4 cities, if one was to visit them all... the difference is Philly and Baltimore have a strong dense East Coast vibe. Cleveland and Detroit share Great Lakes culture. But there is something outside of the dominating AA population, that these 4 cities just feel so somewhat similar.
Disagree. Cleveland/Detroit definitely don’t feel similar to Baltimore/Philly, and Baltimore and Philly do not feel similar to each other. The only slight similarity is with some of the row houses in the residential neighborhoods, but even many of them have a different style. Demographically they are very different. Philly is an “Italian” city (at least historically) and you can find many ethnic enclaves. Philly has a real Chinatown. Downtown Philly is much bigger and more grand. There is a much more “Northeast” vibe and pace to Philly. Baltimore is way less diverse, way smaller, way grittier and just doesn’t “feel” like Philly in any tangible way. The AA pops are different too. Philly’s are much more “Northeastern” characteristically, and Baltimore’s are more Southern. Philly feels much more cosmopolitan and Baltimore is more local. Compare the skylines- Philly’s is large and impressive, Baltimore’s is tiny (a bunch of small boxes; although the harbor is nice). Bottom line is that Philly and Baltimore feel nothing alike.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,969,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Disagree. Cleveland/Detroit definitely don’t feel similar to Baltimore/Philly, and Baltimore and Philly do not feel similar to each other. The only slight similarity is with some of the row houses in the residential neighborhoods, but even many of them have a different style. Demographically they are very different. Philly is an “Italian” city (at least historically) and you can find many ethnic enclaves. Philly has a real Chinatown. Downtown Philly is much bigger and more grand. There is a much more “Northeast” vibe and pace to Philly. Baltimore is way less diverse, way smaller, way grittier and just doesn’t “feel” like Philly in any tangible way. The AA pops are different too. Philly’s are much more “Northeastern” characteristically, and Baltimore’s are more Southern. Philly feels much more cosmopolitan and Baltimore is more local. Compare the skylines- Philly’s is large and impressive, Baltimore’s is tiny (a bunch of small boxes; although the harbor is nice). Bottom line is that Philly and Baltimore feel nothing alike.
Some of the areas in Philly and Baltimore do look alike, but overall Philly has more of a variety of row houses. Both are unquestionably dominated by row house neighborhoods ( and unfortunately, many are pretty neglected). Chicago, Milwaukee, etc are bungalows, and thus have more separation, more breathing room, and to me, more pleasant to live ii..

Old 10-07-2018, 01:25 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,782,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Some of the areas in Philly and Baltimore do look alike, but overall Philly has more of a variety of row houses. Both are unquestionably dominated by row house neighborhoods ( and unfortunately, many are pretty neglected). Chicago, Milwaukee, etc are bungalows, and thus have more separation, more breathing room, and to me, more pleasant to live ii..
I didn't think Baltimore had a skyline lol

Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,019,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I didn't think Baltimore had a skyline lol
Really?
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago more like 3 biggest East Coast cities OR 3 biggest Midwest cities-baltimore-skyline.jpg  

Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,782,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really?

Yeah that looks pitiful lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago