Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times

Advertisements

I eat out every lunch and dinner. I spend $15-20/day on food on average. I don't drink that much on the weekends, maybe average $20 per week. The only groceries I buy are protein bars and orange juice, which I eat everyday for breakfast. I pay more than $1069 per week in taxes.

I don't shop for cars and certainly don't finance them. My car is a perfectly adequate 2001 Lincoln LS with 154K miles. I see no reason to get rid of it until it dies. I paid cash for it when I bought it with 25K miles, 2 years old. I choose to spend my money on investment properties and equities. Besides, BMW 3 series is too small. I may consider buying the new 5 series when it comes out in 2010, but probably will wait 1-2 years and buy one used for much less.

My dad says there are 4 levels of economics:

1.) Poor people spend their money on clothes/jewelry

2.) Working poor spend their money on cars (bmws that are financed) and also spend their money on fancy furniture for their apartments.

3.) Middle class spend their money on houses, some furnished, some not.

4.) Rich spends their money investing, building more wealth in the form of real estate (granted, not the best investment right now) and stocks and bonds.

I strive to be like #4. You guys can choose to be the other options if you like, but by getting to #4, I will be able to buy whatever car or house I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
...And during my temp stay in Houston I'd rather eat at all the good fast food places here that aren't in Chicago.
Like?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
So many other fast food places in Houston like - Jack in the Box, Sonic, Chik Fil A, James Coney Island, Waffle House, Captain D's, Shoney's, Whataburger, and Luby's [cafeteria ready restaurant].

What Chicago has that Houston doesn't - White Castle and Steak N Shake

Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Sonic has moved into the Chicago market -- there is now one in Aurora. Unfortunately northern Midwest weather and drive-in restaurants aren't the best match.

Waffle House is abysmal and the South can have 'em. I don't care if one never opens north of Indy in my lifetime or thereafter. Besides it's a full-service sit-down place, not a fast-food place.

Shoney's got chased out of the Chicago market (and most of the Midwest market for that matter) when they started to suck. There's a reason Shoney's went from prolific to an endangered species. It too is a full-service sit-down restaurant, not a fast-food joint. Same goes for Steak & Shake for that matter.

Two more (related) fast-food chains Chicago has and Houston doesn't are Brown's and Portillo's. And thankfully Culver's is a lot more ubiquitous here than in Texas.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Wow, Sonic in Aurora - but that's such far drive! I hope they go into the inner city, and not be drive thru. People waste soo much gas idleing at Sonic.

Waffle House - I love their Cheesesteak Omelet meal. Their waffles taste good enough too.

I never ate Shoney's in Houston, only in Bowling Green, and I never eat buffet because you pay lots and I don't overeate to avoid gaining weight.

James Coney Island - I just go there for their great chili spaghetti.

Brown's Chicken is overpriced and not that interesting. Portillo's is way better. But I do miss some unique Chicago food joints too.

Otherwise, Chicago is just the land of Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Popeyes, Church's, Subway, Quiznos, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and KFC - stuff you see everywhere else. Gets kinda boring if just these. But Chicago has good unique independents.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
...Otherwise, Chicago is just the land of Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Popeyes, Church's, Subway, Quiznos, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and KFC - stuff you see everywhere else. Gets kinda boring if just these. But Chicago has good unique independents.
There are far more "independents" in Chicago than chain fast food places. In fact, I am pretty sure Chicago has a more "independents" than most places in the country including Houston.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Yeah, independent shops balance Chicago out as a good place to eat too. Without these I'd dread going back to Chicago.

An ok one is Hollywood Grill on North Ave and Ashland. A cheap enough sit in to maybe enjoy the scenery and food.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Otherwise, Chicago is just the land of Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Popeyes, Church's, Subway, Quiznos, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and KFC - stuff you see everywhere else. Gets kinda boring if just these. But Chicago has good unique independents.
I don't understand why anyone would lament the lack of fast-food chain options in a city packed full of great little mom-and-pop storefront restaurants, which are themselves a big part of why it's hard for fast-food chains to get a foothold in this city.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 AM

11 posts, read 22,697 times
Default Kfc

There is a KFC at Diversey and Clark.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't understand why anyone would lament the lack of fast-food chain options in a city packed full of great little mom-and-pop storefront restaurants, which are themselves a big part of why it's hard for fast-food chains to get a foothold in this city.
I would say that is the reason I don't go to KFC - I like KFC, and there is one close to my house, but when my lunch options in walking distance include Marianao, Arturo's, Lazo's, Vella, Los Comales, Honey One, El Cid, Las Asada, etc. the KFC and McDonald's lose out every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago