Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 01:35 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It depends how much i'm getting paid to live there and for how long. But of course.. some areas are always going to be a no no. Englewood for example. Money is not worth mine or my family's safety.
If you were getting paid hundreds of million and up to live in Engelwood, you would be fine. Hell, you can just buy up property and pay friends and family to live there with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 01:54 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,269,634 times
OyCrumbler, that answer was both simple to deduce, and yet a great answer. I never thought of it that way!

Old 12-28-2019, 04:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you were getting paid hundreds of million and up to live in Engelwood, you would be fine. Hell, you can just buy up property and pay friends and family to live there with you.
If you compare the cost of housing in Englewood to CD darlings like Logan Square, you technically would be getting paid to live there. A lot.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Because of my people connections to Milwaukee, I would avoid neighborhoods, sayyyyyyy, south of Montrose Avenue. That is roughly where the influx of traffic from I90 with I94 join, so there will tend to be more congestion of people and cars from that area. So the more north of that interchange, the better a neighborhood for a guy like me. I can have access, then to I94 north, Waukegan Road, Milwaukee Ave., etc. if I need to get to Wisconsin. The less traffic/potential jams the better... Trust me, when I'm in Armour Square, or the Heart of Italy neighborhoods I am really happy. Once I'm THERE! But to get there OR to leave, the traffic can be NO BUENO!

Old 12-28-2019, 04:50 PM

504 posts, read 497,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Curious though, I recently read an article that stated Latinos are moving into Englewood & West Englewood's northern border area.
Yep definitely happening. Latinos generally aren't as afraid of black neighborhoods as the white people on this forum are.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:01 PM

OKParker, that is true. I'm Latino, and I'm not afraid of anyone

Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
- Any area where I wouldn't feel safe walking around during the day (South and West sides, a few suburbs like Gary, Harvey, Markham, Maywood)

- Any suburb not in Cook County, besides maybe the central areas of Naperville, Aurora, Joliet (medium-sized city environments)

- The Loop and immediately adjoining neighborhoods (I'd live there for a few months for the experience but wouldn't settle down somewhere like that)

Old 12-29-2019, 04:25 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You could buy Englewood with that much money.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
This thread isn't going to end well. I don't know what point it serves other than poverty gawking or punching down on neighborhoods other people consider home
I'm on board with this for the most part.

I don't want to run down anyone's neighborhood. I treat the places I go with respect. I treat the man on the corner of Lake and Pulaski in Garfield Park the same as the man on the corner of Fullerton and Broadway in Lincoln Park. My guard is higher in some places than others, but it's never down.

I would not endeavor to live in a place that is un(der)served by public transportation, necessarily, but if somebody wanted to pay me to occupy a space around, say, 63rd and Ashland in Englewood, I'm at least gonna go check it out. I'd do the same thing there as I do here at 3200N/4000W. Respect my neighbors and stay out of beef.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:44 PM

jfre81, you said that both very directly and very respectfully. I appreciate you sharing your words! Well done, Sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago