Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

That must be someone from the southwest suburbs or NWI Master Jay. There's no way a progressive Chicagoan would say anything so close minded! They just wouldn't move there and say that they wanted to be closer to the train or some other excuse, even though L lines also run through both the south and west sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,264,125 times
BRU67, good morning. I understand that I am interjecting as a non-Chicago resident. But I have experienced many areas of the city for at least the last decade, very many times... In fact, actual lifetime residents have mentioned to me that some people think I'm from the city because I know the streets and neighborhoods better than they do... And I have driven through the Garfield Park neighborhood with my children to go to the Conservatory, and we have given food to homeless people in the city. And we have been to parks in Forest Glen and Edison Park. And everything IN BETWEEN... And I am not uncomfortable with resident sin any part of the city, and I feel my children through our experiences have learned the same. We treat people with respect like we would want, and we do not judge until we have some THING to judge.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM

504 posts, read 496,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I can only speak on my experiences of places I've actually been. But I believe Galewood is considered West side, and it has always seemed like a decent area. And on the south side, there is a nice area of Armour Square south of Chinatown and north of Cellular Field. And also Little Italy is a nice area. Am I wrong in my analyses of these areas? Are they not relatively clean, safe, and worthy of taking away from the stigma of West and South sides being unbearable in Chicago?
Galewood is more northwest to me.

Armour square is a fine neighborhood and I would obviously live there if it was free b/c of its proximity to the loop, but I hate the highways around the area.

Little Italy is another great area. All around that area is fine to live in.

The only parts of Chicago that I wouldn't live in for free (or paid to live in) would be West Garfield Park, parts of Eastern Austin, anything south of 40th on the SW side (boring, bad transit not near orange line), and anything south of 63rd on the S side (boring, no transit, safety in some parts).

Old 01-10-2020, 04:28 PM

OKParker, so we can agree that not ALL of the south and west side are off limits? Even this out of towner knows that! I think people hear about crime in those areas, and not enough good things, such as the south and west side areas we agree ARE nice.... I think you made a good assessment with the areas you'd choose/not choose. Except I am a Galewood fan. Hey, your name made me assume you were an Oak Parker!!!! That's why I was surprised you weren't pro-Galewood!

Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 PM

504 posts, read 496,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
OKParker, so we can agree that not ALL of the south and west side are off limits? Even this out of towner knows that! I think people hear about crime in those areas, and not enough good things, such as the south and west side areas we agree ARE nice.... I think you made a good assessment with the areas you'd choose/not choose. Except I am a Galewood fan. Hey, your name made me assume you were an Oak Parker!!!! That's why I was surprised you weren't pro-Galewood!
I'm an Oak Parker! I am pro-Galewood for most things and pretty excited about the new grocery store/fitness club apartment building that is going to fix the Sears eyesore. I go to Maria's, Reuter's, Amato's, Amarind's (my favorite). Many metra stops here, buses are just OK, and there is no L.

I might not be giving the south side enough credit (south of 63rd at least), but I would never be able to get friends to cross that line and visit me down there. And the food isn't close to as good as up north and west.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:01 PM

OKParker, I am NO expert on Oak Park I took my kids to Wonder Works a few times. There's that little Italian deli across the street on the Galewood side. I've been to Peri Peri in your downtown, which looks beautiful at night!... When I went to the Sayre--Galewood park/library, an Italian guy that worked there recommended I get pizza at Amatos on Harlem. I don't remember being blown away with it, though :/... I would like to take my Milwaukee friends on a bike ride through the Harlem Italian area, but I think traffic wouldn't be the greatest. Although I've ridden it, alone, a couple of times ... Like I said, normally I don't go further south og 35th. Once in a while I WILL explore more south, however

Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 AM

796 posts, read 931,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Yep definitely happening. Latinos generally aren't as afraid of black neighborhoods as the white people on this forum are.

nope. this summer, I saw quite a few hispanic families living in west englewood when I was over there driving down damen between 71st to 55th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago