Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM

88 posts, read 79,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Sorry I thought you were asking about relocation.

Just riding a bike, teenage kids?

These days conservatively probably McCormick.

The city’s really weird this summer, with corona, the protests, etc.

I think anyone who really knows and understands the city has modified their behavior a lot.

I would personally feel comfortable riding far south the entire path but I’ve lived here forever and done it a billion times, but I would also be prepared to turn around at the first sign of things being a bit off/weird, which a lot of places are these days.

Honestly the bullets are flying this summer and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to stay away if you don’t know the city.
Jonny, MasterJay and ZDig... very insightful... thanks all.

Looking at Google Satellite, it looks as if Chicago is blessed with more than 25 miles of Lake Michigan shorefront. That's amazing. Such potential as someone pointed out. Such a pity that the "NoGo" area is as far north as Mccormick, or 35th St or 67th st. Such lost opportunity.

Would it be to Chicago's advantage to de-municipalize vast swaths of the city, let it form a new municipality and 1) free Chicago of what's probably a mountain of burdensome debt servicing and 2) have the state take over whatever aid is needed.

But shootings, lawlessness and poverty, someone somehow has got to get a grip on this. As an out-of-towner in a group that wants to expand and invest in Chicago, the tsunami of bad press is a killer! Honestly never hear anything good about Chicago when I imagine that there needs to be a PR campaign to salvage its reputation. As others have said, so many nice areas. Maybe its time to send youth to Charm School. Not likely. But teach Civics and ethics, morality and citizenship.

After a generation of giving everyone participation trophies, it only seems to be getting worse. And no one is taking responsibility! Thanks again all, for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:17 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
ReadyForWhatsNext, glad to hear you're getting some good information, and YES, there are great city.data.com contributors here!

Your last post, you touched on a couple of good points!

For the MOST part, (but I tell you not in EVERY case!) the neighborhoods in the city of Chicago that touch the borders of the city tend to be decent parts of the city. REPEAT: this is not 100% across the board.

But you can hit the north areas of North Park, Forest Glen, Norwood Park, and Edison Park, and the negative Chicago impressions you mentioned (lawlessness and poverty) is essentially non-existent. And I do spend a lot of my Chicago time there.

As far as everyone gets a trophy, in my opinion there is a right way, and a not-so right way of instilling values. I teach Tae Kwon Do and also work in social work. And like any professions, you have to have a strong relationship with the people you work with so that methods of reward OR discipline are most affective.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:58 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Candidly, I don't think the OP really was looking for information. I think this was more of a statement by the poster as to Chicago. There have been posts from the person over an array of cities in the country always highlighting where crime is supposed to be most frequent.

For myself, I believe the post was like a rhetorical question -- saying more about an issue than requesting information.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:22 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Watch some of the videos online about the crime that's going on in the city, even downtown. There was a shooting on the (Wabash?) bridge just the other night, groups of yoots walking around at night looking for easy targets - where are the cops? Until this stuff settled down, I'd be hesitant to take a bicycle anywhere south of North Avenue, LOL. The poor 82 year old that got carjacked last week made a mistake by pulling over, he should have chosen to have a set of bicycle handlebars for a hood ornament.

I've got a house in the suburbs and plan on selling earlier than I had originally planned to, to take advantage of the supposed exodus from the city.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Curly Q. Bobalink, I wish to GOD I would have been there when that elderly gentleman was attacked!!!

Old 07-31-2020, 05:03 AM

30 posts, read 24,162 times
Default Than, you would have been vilified

These people(?) have a way of turning the story around and in the end, you would have been the aggressor.
Today anything a white person does is wrong. Don't stand your ground, protect your property, or your family! You will be arrested and the thugs will walk...

Old 07-31-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Watch some of the videos online about the crime that's going on in the city, even downtown. There was a shooting on the (Wabash?) bridge just the other night, groups of yoots walking around at night looking for easy targets - where are the cops? Until this stuff settled down, I'd be hesitant to take a bicycle anywhere south of North Avenue, LOL. The poor 82 year old that got carjacked last week made a mistake by pulling over, he should have chosen to have a set of bicycle handlebars for a hood ornament.

I've got a house in the suburbs and plan on selling earlier than I had originally planned to, to take advantage of the supposed exodus from the city.
Disappointing to read your post on what happened. I'm in NYC and we haven't heard anything about it. Likewise, these barbaric acts happen every day these days right here in NYC and I imagine you don't hear anything about most of them. The sad truth is our country is becoming chock-full of lunatics acting out in unimaginable ways. Add up the daily attacks in cities from coast to coast and we'd be shocked at the depravity taking place throughout our country.

I'm charged with site-selection for my company. Crime is a major issue for us as many millions in investment hang in the balance. For the first time, we are looking at altering our approach and considering options that are NOT in the CBD, or being in the very heart of commercial activity. This includes a major suburb (a term we use to think was cringe-worthy!) Or second or third tier cities.

We don't know if the WFH movement will be long-lasting or just a blip in history. In the case of Chicago, the waterfront holds so much promise and potential, the history of how it has developed is especially intriguing. Will gentrification continue? Or will developers look away from these neighborhoods and turn their attention elsewhere?

Manigault... Thanks for the free analysis although your post contributed nothing of substance to the intent of this thread. Your hobby of pondering why people post what they post must keep you very busy. There's no harm to it as long as you don't cross the line and impugn someone's intentions. It's a free country.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
Manigault... Thanks for the free analysis although your post contributed nothing of substance to the intent of this thread. Your hobby of pondering why people post what they post must keep you very busy. There's no harm to it as long as you don't cross the line and impugn someone's intentions. It's a free country.
I am impugning your intentions. I'm not sure what line this crosses.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
i truly have no idea what it is youre asking. youre making an "investment" but you know nothing about the neighborhood or city youre supposedly leading a project in? youre asking about the safety of some hypothetical teenager riding a bike on the lakefront path, which has nothing to do with the safety of an adult living their day to day life in a given neighborhood, or a work crew for that matter? youre too scared to go south of north ave, cool stay north of north ave (or apparently anywhere other than the chicago region since apparently youre moving...away from a city you already know nothing about aside from evening news reports), why are you asking us? the long term residents and homeowners of what you condescendingly refer to as "no go zones" certainly wont miss you.

funny, you know nothing about chicago until someone takes your bait and then suddenly you know everything there is to know about the city and its shortcomings and why its so horribly managed. Manigault is right in calling you out and its sad anyone else is entertaining your bad faith thread.

Last edited by via chicago; 07-31-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ReadyForWhatsNext, glad to hear you're getting some good information, and YES, there are great city.data.com contributors here!

Your last post, you touched on a couple of good points!

For the MOST part, (but I tell you not in EVERY case!) the neighborhoods in the city of Chicago that touch the borders of the city tend to be decent parts of the city. REPEAT: this is not 100% across the board.

But you can hit the north areas of North Park, Forest Glen, Norwood Park, and Edison Park, and the negative Chicago impressions you mentioned (lawlessness and poverty) is essentially non-existent. And I do spend a lot of my Chicago time there.

As far as everyone gets a trophy, in my opinion there is a right way, and a not-so right way of instilling values. I teach Tae Kwon Do and also work in social work. And like any professions, you have to have a strong relationship with the people you work with so that methods of reward OR discipline are most affective.
I know from past experience that what you say about the northern areas is true. I have good memories of Skokie and a Naval Air Station somewhere in the neighborhood (though I think it closed years ago.) Also, Evanston, Arlington and even Elgin are on the list for site inspections when we do a Fam-trip. Having said that, some of us had been pushing for South Shore, The Bush and Southworks (notwithstanding its considerable distance from the airport) and we were making inroads pre-Pandemic. As I mentioned earlier, the great unknown is if there is an urban "reset" or is this a blip in time? I'm sure our area contacts on the ground will help shed some light. Still I appreciate your feedback.

Glad to read that you teach Tae Kwon Do! Popular? How do the kids respond to the values, discipline and sportsmanship? What are their ages? Any thoughts on Krav Maga? Just curious as I know it's a whole different cultural foundation. It wasn't exactly common for girls to have access to these sports when I was growing up. They provide great building blocks though, for integrity and respect. I don't think most people follow The Golden Rule these days. And the old adage of "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" seems to be all but forgotten in the world of the internets. I think teaching kids respect and manners when they're young is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago