Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:58 PM

88 posts, read 79,384 times

Advertisements

I know safety is a relative term. No risk? Or some risk? So the question is how far south would you suggest a man or woman or maybe YOUR TEENAGE CHILD (young teens... 15?) ride a bike along the lake as sunset is approaching. Maybe your child is alone or with a friend or two.

How about walking safely to restaurants or the market?

Given ALL that's going on in America's urban centers, I voted to delay today, but the majority want to begin due diligence. Safety for this project is paramount.

It has been a long time since I claimed any familiarity with Chicago so honest, frank advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 07:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
The lakefront trail is fairly safe about as safe as downtown. It is also reasonably well trafficked by cyclists and joggers and beach goers. You can have bands of hoodrats causing mayhem anywhere nowadays but the lakefront path is generally reasonably safe.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The lakefront trail is fairly safe about as safe as downtown. It is also reasonably well trafficked by cyclists and joggers and beach goers. You can have bands of hoodrats causing mayhem anywhere nowadays but the lakefront path is generally reasonably safe.
Thanks.
Would that include all the way down past Rainbow Beach and to the land around Steelworkers Park?

Old 07-26-2020, 08:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
It is good untill at least the museum but after the south shore cultural center you are riding some streets in south shore. I've done it and it is generally ok during the day but evenings and night time I would not be comfortable.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 AM

I appreciate your candor. Thank you.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 AM

30 posts, read 24,212 times
I would stay north of say 35th street. I worked over that way for a few years and it was iffy at best ,even during the daytime.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
I always evaluate public transportation tracks too. When I first moved to Chicago years ago, I really was intrigued with Hyde Park, but I looked at where the closest CTA stop was, and thought to myself. If I'm coming back from downtown at midnight on a weekend, would I really feel safe walking from those stops to my apartment or even waiting for an Uber? Even leaving earlier at night, would I feel safe walking to the CTA station? I know there is a Metra, but that has much more limited hours, and even still, would I feel safe walking to the Metra stop at night?

I knew it would be unrealistic driving my car into the city and parking every time I wanted to go out on the weekend, so that would not be an option.

So for me, that personally crossed Hyde Park of my list. This logic would apply to many areas of the South Side and West Side. Even living in Oak Park, and having to take the Green Line back late at night, would not be ideal for me. Which crossed Oak Park off of my list. Living in the Gold Coast and now Lincoln Park, I don't have to worry about taking public transportation or even walking back from places I go to late at night (although I obviously use basic street smarts).

Old 07-29-2020, 03:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,284,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I always evaluate public transportation tracks too. When I first moved to Chicago years ago, I really was intrigued with Hyde Park, but I looked at where the closest CTA stop was, and thought to myself. If I'm coming back from downtown at midnight on a weekend, would I really feel safe walking from those stops to my apartment or even waiting for an Uber? Even leaving earlier at night, would I feel safe walking to the CTA station? I know there is a Metra, but that has much more limited hours, and even still, would I feel safe walking to the Metra stop at night?

I knew it would be unrealistic driving my car into the city and parking every time I wanted to go out on the weekend, so that would not be an option.

So for me, that personally crossed Hyde Park of my list. This logic would apply to many areas of the South Side and West Side. Even living in Oak Park, and having to take the Green Line back late at night, would not be ideal for me. Which crossed Oak Park off of my list. Living in the Gold Coast and now Lincoln Park, I don't have to worry about taking public transportation or even walking back from places I go to late at night (although I obviously use basic street smarts).
Exactly. “Safe” is really relative and contingent on a wide array of factors, including habits, risk tolerance, background, etc. It is nearly impossible to make blanket statements.

I mean depending on your expectations and their personality, I’m not sure raising a teenager outside of the ludicrously gentrified areas/schools would be considered “safe” by Schaumburg standards.

Taking a suburban 15 year old and dropping them into CPS could have some interesting results. Maybe some good, some bad.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:52 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times
Z'Dig. Yes 35th Street seems to be the magic number for as far south to go, on public transportation. As a driver from Milwaukee, it's usually the furthest to drive in a car, because otherwise, that's A LONG time to keep driving!

So typically as far south that I'll drive will be to 33rd Street at Armour Square Park by the White Sox Stadium, 24th and Oakley in Heart of Chicago for the restaurants, or 26th Street to shop in Little Village.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:05 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,284,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
I know safety is a relative term. No risk? Or some risk? So the question is how far south would you suggest a man or woman or maybe YOUR TEENAGE CHILD (young teens... 15?) ride a bike along the lake as sunset is approaching. Maybe your child is alone or with a friend or two.

How about walking safely to restaurants or the market?

Given ALL that's going on in America's urban centers, I voted to delay today, but the majority want to begin due diligence. Safety for this project is paramount.

It has been a long time since I claimed any familiarity with Chicago so honest, frank advice is appreciated.
Sorry I thought you were asking about relocation.

Just riding a bike, teenage kids?

These days conservatively probably McCormick.

The city’s really weird this summer, with corona, the protests, etc.

I think anyone who really knows and understands the city has modified their behavior a lot.

I would personally feel comfortable riding far south the entire path but I’ve lived here forever and done it a billion times, but I would also be prepared to turn around at the first sign of things being a bit off/weird, which a lot of places are these days.

Honestly the bullets are flying this summer and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to stay away if you don’t know the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago